• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

When did New Mutants 87 second printing hit the market that this book required another printing? CGC shows both books coming out with the same publication date. But I thought there was a one month difference.

New Mutants 87 (March 1990)

New Mutants 87 second printing (March 1990)

I would think if a book is going to second printing so quickly, there must have been some early interest. Especially since Cable was standing out as a new team leader of a book that was starting to pick up steam, and he was a man of mystery that readers were hungry to find out his origin.

CGC could easily be wrong about the date of the 2nd printing . . . anyone with a copy want to check indicia dates (which can be easily misread or misprinted in later prints. Also check the column dates and ad dates, etc.

Interesting enough, both the first printing and second printing state March 1990. But when you check the copyright year, a first printing will show 1990, while a second printing shows 1991.

So clearly, it wasn't released (published until 1991). There is no requirement for it to be re-registered, but the most current copyright year is always entered as a precautionary measure. CGC is in error by just repeating the original release date on the label. The CGC label date for the third printing of IH 377 is Jan 1991, the same as the first print, even though we know that the release date was at least two years later. doh!

If you don't mind me asking, why doesn't Marvel or Diamond release this sort of sales information?

Is it that they don't have the data anymore, or is it some sort of commercial-in-confidence thing?

Trivia:

Does anyone know exactly WHAT was "the hot book" when New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990....?

Hint: it wasn't New Mutants #87. It wasn't even a Marvel.

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Very close, but he'd been replaced by this time. Lobo #1 was the hit of early Fall.

Batman 442?

Getting VERY warm...but no. :)

doh! I was a year off. Was it Robin #1?

DING DING DING!!

We have a ^^

Wow I thought Robin #1 when you asked that question. I can't remember what I did last week....but I remember what comics I bought in 1990. :tonofbricks: That cover was sooooooo shiny lol

I wouldn't put any stock in that post. Most of that information is completely wrong, and the information that isn't wrong is greatly distorted.

I'm betting you don't have a girlfriend. lol

I wouldn't put any stock in that post. Most of that information is completely wrong, and the information that isn't wrong is greatly distorted.

Because girlfriends are usually wrong or distort information and he won't go along with it (shrug)

Trivia:

Does anyone know exactly WHAT was "the hot book" when New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990....?

Hint: it wasn't New Mutants #87. It wasn't even a Marvel.

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Very close, but he'd been replaced by this time. Lobo #1 was the hit of early Fall.

Batman 442?

Getting VERY warm...but no. :)

doh! I was a year off. Was it Robin #1?

DING DING DING!!

We have a ^^

Wow I thought Robin #1 when you asked that question. I can't remember what I did last week....but I remember what comics I bought in 1990. :tonofbricks: That cover was sooooooo shiny lol

Yeah, both Marvel and DC were playing around with their cover stock in those months. Check out the Feb 91 Marvels...the paper stock is completely different from Jan and Mar issues.

I don't. (shrug)

My wife says I'm not allowed.

So in X-Men days of future past i hope they show CablE in a cameo. Then wil go into Age Of Apocalypse.. That would be awesome...

Man, I would love to see that. Especially if they found the right actor to make it work.

movie-cable.jpg

Stephen Lang wanted to be considered for the role back in 2010 when there was talk of an individual movie. I'm not sure where his head would be on this now.

Stephen Lang wants to play Cable.

So in X-Men days of future past i hope they show CablE in a cameo. Then wil go into Age Of Apocalypse.. That would be awesome...

Man, I would love to see that. Especially if they found the right actor to make it work.

movie-cable.jpg

Stephen Lang wanted to be considered for the role back in 2010 when there was talk of an individual movie. I'm not sure where his head would be on this now.

Stephen Lang wants to play Cable.

So what your saying is that at aging bit actor would like a potential future role in a successful movie franchise?

(not meant to be as snarky as it sounds, he's pretty cool, but still, not sure its 'news')

So what your saying is that at aging bit actor would like a potential future role in a successful movie franchise?

(not meant to be as snarky as it sounds, he's pretty cool, but still, not sure its 'news')

Stephen Lang actually did a great job playing Stonewall Jackson in the movie 'God's and Generals' along with his other roles such as the colonel in 'Avatar' - one of the highest grossing films in cinema history. So I'm sure his "bit acts" are perfectly okay. Especially since he is lined up to appear in 'Avatar 2' and supposedly future films.

So not sure what the issue was to make a statement like that, other than being unaware.

I don't. (shrug)

My wife says I'm not allowed.

^^

That's pretty funny. Thanks for sharing, Bosco. When you posted the Stephen Lang photo, it made me think of when Wizard would list actors they'd most like to see play comic characters. IIRC, they picked Clint Eastwood to play Cable...thinking about how old Eastwood is now made me feel a little old for the first time since I was dragged to a Warped Tour a few years back.