• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

I could be wrong, but I think Jim Lee may appeal to a younger group of comic book readers. I grew up in the 80's/90's, and I was absolutely blown away by the artwork of Jim Lee. I had never really seen anything like it. With that being said, for those of you who don't appreciate Lee's artwork, do you care to disclose your age? I'm just curious, and I could be dead wrong about my assumption.

Just for the record, Jim Lee's Beast is my absolute favorite. IMHO, Lee was a pioneer, pushed limits, and had a style that was very refreshing!

Here are some of my favorite Jim Lee pieces...

XMEN-1-JIM-LEE_zps1a014f69.jpg1992-x-men-volume-2-issue-5-cover-jim-lee-scott-williams-blowback-john-byrne_zps700bf285.jpguncannyxmen268_zpsaec0bbcd.jpgspawn_150_zpsab663fe9.jpgbatman619-villains-poster_zpsf7b79c06.jpgbatman619-heroes-poster_zps57cc2add.jpgbatman614_zpsc62301bf.jpg

Well, I'm 38 but I disliked most of his work then and I can't say my opinion has changed. I suppose part of it for me is his success which I find utterly confusing. If he wasn't this big name I would think he wasn't the best, wasn't the worst, but his rep so is over-the-top in excess of my personal assessment of his ability that I just have to shake my head. As I said, I know I must be in the minority, but it boggles my mind.

Lee's All-Star Batman & Robin was the closest to Dark Knight Returns IMO. That combined with Miller's -script makes for a killer series

Edited by Lonzilla

Well, I'm 38 but I disliked most of his work then and I can't say my opinion has changed. I suppose part of it for me is his success which I find utterly confusing. If he wasn't this big name I would think he wasn't the best, wasn't the worst, but his rep so is over-the-top in excess of my personal assessment of his ability that I just have to shake my head. As I said, I know I must be in the minority, but it boggles my mind.

I couldn't disagree more, but hey, to each their own.

So I'm a bit confused. Your saying his success came from his rep, I'd argue his rep was a result of his work ethic and art.

Either way, we all have our own tastes.

Jim Lee's art never really did much for me, he draws everything well but I always sort of considered it 'pinup' art with more poses than story telling & action.

I prefer a good artist who has a recognizable style over ultra-realism...Jim Lee just draws everything "right".

Lee got popular when I was losing interest in the hobby so that could be factor & I probably haven't read a book he's done for 20 years other than that horrible Batman book with Miller.

(shrug)

I was never a fan of Liefeld's art. I had a buddy that raved about it, but I never "got it". I wasn't a Jim Lee fan either (but I think that's b/c I wasn't into X-books). I liked McFarlane (and Spidey). Todd was kind of the leader of the pack. I was also a really big fan of Dale Keown on the Hulk (I was getting out of the hobby at the time Pitt came out, so I didn't buy that one).

Fast forward to now, I think Jim Lee's art has held up the best and he really is a very good artist. Very dynamic and heroic. Although, I do agree, a lot of it looks "pin up". Liefeld gets rightly panned. Some of it really is tough to look at. No concept of anatomy or proportion.

I still like McFarlane, but some it is definitely nostalgia driven. It's a little too busy for my tastes now.

I prefer hero art to be a bit cleaner. Someone like John Cassidy. And I still do like the Keown Hulk run.

I was never a fan of Liefeld's art. I had a buddy that raved about it, but I never "got it". I wasn't a Jim Lee fan either (but I think that's b/c I wasn't into X-books). I liked McFarlane (and Spidey). Todd was kind of the leader of the pack. I was also a really big fan of Dale Keown on the Hulk (I was getting out of the hobby at the time Pitt came out, so I didn't buy that one).

Fast forward to now, I think Jim Lee's art has held up the best and he really is a very good artist. Very dynamic and heroic. Although, I do agree, a lot of it looks "pin up". Liefeld gets rightly panned. Some of it really is tough to look at. No concept of anatomy or proportion.

I still like McFarlane, but some it is definitely nostalgia driven. It's a little too busy for my tastes now.

I prefer hero art to be a bit cleaner. Someone like John Cassidy. And I still do like the Keown Hulk run.

Cassadays cat Beast = :fear:

You guys realize that it ALL comes down to how an artist renders a human face, right...?

Whether you love it, hate it, or are blah about it, the way an artist renders the human face always determines how much (or how little) you enjoy their art.

Everything else is just window dressing.

XMEN-1-JIM-LEE_zps1a014f69.jpg

X-Men #1E is still a good cover cover, with really nice internal artwork.

1992-x-men-volume-2-issue-5-cover-jim-lee-scott-williams-blowback-john-byrne_zps700bf285.jpg

uncannyxmen268_zpsaec0bbcd.jpg

That Omega Red cover has so much detail included, it makes it interesting. I'd take that over covers where there are small figures on a single-color background because there isn't much taking place in the artwork.

But I still love the cover of UXM 268. And this was a really cool story about how far back Wolverine's history goes.

:cloud9:

And, it has a Baron Strucker appearance. I wonder if that will have any impact on price as Age of Ultron gets closer.

When I met Jim Lee last year, I had him sign my X Men 5 and told him that I still gawk at the cover art. I could tell he was very flattered by this compliment, but i could also tell he thought I was a true nerd for using the word, "gawk".

. Your saying his success came from his rep

I didn't say that at all. I said that his rep was greater than his ability in my eyes. Meaning other people must like his art far, far more than I do. I've just never thought it was that great but clearly Im in the large minority and that's fine . But Im not sure I will ever understand it

When I met Jim Lee last year, I had him sign my X Men 5 and told him that I still gawk at the cover art. I could tell he was very flattered by this compliment, but i could also tell he thought I was a true nerd for using the word, "gawk".

lol

But I am sure he took it as a nice compliment anyway.

All I know is that when New Mutants #87 came out it was so freaking hot it was a $25 wall book when issue #95 hit the stands. My friends and I ran to the grocery store and bought every issue of New Mutants starting with 96 to 100 believing they may become "hot" like #87. #98 was the 1st app of Domino and for a split second it look as if that book might take off too. But when multiple reprints of New Mutants #100 and X-Force #1's bagged and multiple cards bleed us dry we left the series feeling disgruntled by issue #5.

That said, I called my best friend when I was young and told him to pull his multiple copies of 98 and sell them on eBay. We all had numerous copies. That 55k print quote makes me super suspicious. Not saying your wrong RMA but if ten year old kids are buying multiple copies of 98 how can there only be 55k? Just doesn't seem right.

All I know is that when New Mutants #87 came out it was so freaking hot it was a $25 wall book when issue #95 hit the stands. My friends and I ran to the grocery store and bought every issue of New Mutants starting with 96 to 100 believing they may become "hot" like #87. #98 was the 1st app of Domino and for a split second it look as if that book might take off too.

That's what a number of people have said about New Mutants #87. It was not too long after this book was commanding $25 easily in stores and shows. Next thing you know, many people were grabbing multiples of anything Liefeld-Cable-New Mutants because they were going to be HOT HOT HOT forever.

:facepalm:

I remember picking up X-Force #1 the day it was available - reading it - and then wondering what I got myself into since I had asked my LCS to pull five of each card.

:ohnoez: