• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comic Con, March 27-29, 2015, Seattle, WA

263 posts in this topic

I was in and out all three days. Sorry I didn't have time to connect with any boardies. I was with my daughter and she's a mega Supernatural fan so we jumped back and forth to Supercon in Bellevue.

We stayed at the Sheraton and bumped into a ton of celebs: Clark Gregg, Scott Wilson, Julie Benz, Troy Baker, Grant Imahara, and Patrick Warburton was in a room a few doors down from us. Met Harley, Bob Storms, Steve Borock, Neil Adams, and a bunch of indie artists since my daughter is going to art school in Seattle this fall.

I was also on one of the diversity panels, so it was cool to score a pro pass.

But the highlight was sneaking away to a fundraiser at Seattle University and meeting "Uncle George." I'm the grinning doofus on the right.

dff5429a-6539-428a-89d8-fc63242dd3ce_zpsiekngm2o.png

It was a very nice, sunny day here. :whee:

Had lunch with my sister and got to see my niece for a bit. Boardies I've seen so far:

Nikelspot

greggy

Stuptown

Foolkiller

SOT

Went to an indoor range and threw a few hundred rounds down range, some into a couple of of counterfeit copies of CFD. Walked around the show floor, heard a lot of talk about the future of ECCC with it having been purchased by Reed, walked around Seattle, went back to my room for a few and am now finally heading out for a bit.

See you all tomorrow.

hm

Met for the first time and chatted a bit with Nikelspot who looks EXACTLY like his avatar (as does Toast aka he who knows what the Ducks road schedule is this fall).

Talked to Dre a couple of times and saw pics of his new home. Talked to Joey, Greggy and Borock a bit. Fairly certain that I interacted with other Boardies at the I Like Comics booth by the freakin' tower of shirts near the snack bar in the back.

Lots of fun as always. Maybe I will set up on my own next year with Reed taking over.

I filled in the online ECCC questionnaire. Suggested they boost the wifi in the 2 main comicon rooms so dealers, collectors, fans could use their cell phones, check GPA, connect for a signal with their cr card machines hooked up to iPads :gossip: or iPhones. Else vendors price slabbed comics from their foggy memory (shrug) plus juice because the title or hot hero/villian was mentioned in a movie, tv or Netflix series.

You mean boost the cell signal don't you?

I think that purchasing Wifi Convention Center is what they are trying to get people to do but people don't want to spend the money and so they try to stick to cell signal instead.

I think I just purchased Wifi last year.

I filled in the online ECCC questionnaire. Suggested they boost the wifi in the 2 main comicon rooms so dealers, collectors, fans could use their cell phones, check GPA, connect for a signal with their cr card machines hooked up to iPads :gossip: or iPhones. Else vendors price slabbed comics from their foggy memory (shrug) plus juice because the title or hot hero/villian was mentioned in a movie, tv or Netflix series.

GES, the company that handles the logistics at the show such as extra tables, WiFi, etc. charges for WiFi coverage for exhibitors, and it's not cheap, coming in at hundreds of dollars, and it's simply not worth it based on past experience and those who I have spoken too. You have to remember that in today's digital age, people can't seem to do anything without their cell phones posting status updates, photos, etc in real-time, and with 80,000+ people there, the majority with cell phones on, the cellular signal is limited. I simply elect to bring an iPad and use Verizon's 4G LTE to process credit cards when a customer wants to purchase something on their card and I had no issues. Last year was even better because they had a Verizon truck parked on the loading dock with a portable antenna mounted on it so signal strength was extremely strong. Unsure if there was one outside for this past ECCC but I for one had no issues processing credit cards.

I'm with AT&T and the signal sucks when I'm at ECCC.

Must be because your signal gets rerouted through Canada. :baiting:

Through my hair, no less.

I use AT&T with an iPhone and the signal was barely there on the exhibition floor, but on the skywalk in between the two main rooms it was a bit slow but otherwise no problems.

The problem with the bad WiFi are the small exhibitors and artists unable to run their Square and make some money.

The show was exhausting but a little fun. It was too bad that I was spawning like a salmon in those crowds for 3 days. Maybe next year ill spend Saturday at panels or the Space Needle.

Verizon is the strongest for the Seattle area, not sure if they had the Verizon mobile van parked on the loading dock as they did last year, but processing credit cards this year was no problem at all using the iPad's cellular option with Verizon. The WiFi the convention center provides (at a cost) is pretty bad and not worth the money at all.

Who cares about you? You didn't even show up this year, loser.

Depending on where you were set up, you could walk out into either the lobby or the loading dock and get enough signal to process Squares but I will have to look at what Jugger is saying for next year.

The problem with the bad WiFi are the small exhibitors and artists unable to run their Square and make some money.

The show was exhausting but a little fun. It was too bad that I was spawning like a salmon in those crowds for 3 days. Maybe next year ill spend Saturday at panels or the Space Needle.

I haven't attended Saturday for a major show for a couple of years now, and its much more enjoyable that way. The crowds are too thick, and I can spend all my money and get my autographs just fine the other days. I wouldn't do Saturday at Chicago if the ticket was free, as much as I otherwise enjoy that show.

Who cares about you? You didn't even show up this year, loser.

I had to stay close to home because of a family function: avoid greggy day.

I haven't attended Saturday for a major show for a couple of years now, and its much more enjoyable that way. The crowds are too thick, and I can spend all my money and get my autographs just fine the other days. I wouldn't do Saturday at Chicago if the ticket was free, as much as I otherwise enjoy that show.

You never know though, about the crowds. I was there almost the full time all three days, and for me the thickest crowds were Sunday morning, and the lightest crowds were the last two hours of Sunday. Friday and Saturday were pretty much equivalent as far as I could tell.