• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comic Con, March 27-29, 2015, Seattle, WA

263 posts in this topic

I'm a local boy and have gone to this show every year since the beginning, when it was just a little one day con and nothing special whatsoever. It sure has grown. Though this show is fun, as a guy who is used to SDCC (gone the last 23 years in a row) this show just seems small to me. I do like the way it is run and it seems well organized. But we have the exhibition floor which is broken up into two halves. Unless spending time searching through long boxes, it is pretty easy to cover both sides of the exhibition floor in half a day. Sure there are things I missed on the second, third and fourth walk through, but overall (IMO) it does not have the feel of a "big" con. It has the crowds for a big con, it has the costumes of a big con, but it does not have the hype and hoopla and "coolness" factor of a big show. Some people may like that, but for me I am a bit disappointed. I think one reason for this is that the exhibition floor is four levels up, and this prevents setting up a big impressive display in some cases. Anyway, I'm not baggin' on ECCC as I do enjoy it, I but I am saying that it has a ways to go before I will become impressed.

Anybody have a chance to see Kevin Eastman today? Whats the line like to see him?

I hope you guys leave me a decent piece of OA to get from Kevin. :D

I saw him today. I got in line a little after 10am and finally made it to the front around 11:45. The line did eventually get capped while I was there. I grabbed a set (all 4 Turtles) of convention bust sketches, a prelim cover and had him sign my 1991 calender I've been holding onto since I was a kid. Overall, probably one of the best and most exciting celebrity/artist encounters I've had, despite the brevity. When I left I think he had 3 or 4 covers, and 4 prelim covers, ~3 sets of convention sketches, a small stack of sketched blank cover books, and also a few 11x17 sketches. Despite my place in line, I think I was the first to buy any OA. I don't recall anything on his website being present.

I think having the ECCC spread out over 5 floors helps with crowd control. They have an open area for cosplayers to gather, separate section geared more towards kids and Lego. Separate section for panels and media guest signings that may confuse some fans trying to find the right floor and room.

I agree, it is quite confusing for collectors to have 2 main halls for the ECCC. 1 is geared more towards independent press artists, inkers, writers, and Hotflips had a booth set up for each hall.

Just astounded that so many students and adults took the whole Friday off work to enjoy the ECCC. Spring break is different weeks in March for :gossip: BC, Canada depending if one's kids are in elementary or high school.

Anybody have a chance to see Kevin Eastman today? Whats the line like to see him?

I hope you guys leave me a decent piece of OA to get from Kevin. :D

I saw him today. I got in line a little after 10am and finally made it to the front around 11:45. The line did eventually get capped while I was there. I grabbed a set (all 4 Turtles) of convention bust sketches, a prelim cover and had him sign my 1991 calender I've been holding onto since I was a kid. Overall, probably one of the best and most exciting celebrity/artist encounters I've had, despite the brevity. When I left I think he had 3 or 4 covers, and 4 prelim covers, ~3 sets of convention sketches, a small stack of sketched blank cover books, and also a few 11x17 sketches. Despite my place in line, I think I was the first to buy any OA. I don't recall anything on his website being present.

Thanks brother, the info is much appreciated. Glad it was awesome, I am stoked for tomorrow.

Most of my :luhv: purchases from the $5 bin but not my fave Secret Origins Volume 1, (thumbs u #1. Reprints Showscase 4, Kirby Challengers Unknown from Show #6, Mystery in Space 53 Adam Strange, Wonder Woman 105 origin retold, Martian Manhunter J'onn Jones from Detect 225, etc.

2banQlEh.jpg

I've been to a lot of different shows and I have to say this is one of the best shows going. The people are nice, great places to eat and lots of great books. I wouldn't compare it to SDCC because it's a totally different atmosphere. Ran into Tim Seeley in the hotel lobby. He's not a guest at the show but mentioned he was here meeting his editors. Another really nice artist.

One of the highlight shows of the year IMO.

Kudos to the following:

Borock because he is Borock.

Steve Paulus

Jamie Graham

The Brits

Harley Yee

Terry O'Neal

Ron Murry (for having his books available before Saturday this year)

Cloud 9 comics

Foose Balll Phil

Bob Storms

Greggy

DRE

Nik Franks

Joel Elad

Royce

Mike

Jeff Li

Jbud

Steve Nelson (worldsbestcomics)

SOT

Ketterer

DMAC

Hot flips Jeff

I had fun while working. A rare combination these days.