• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

So the moral of this story is that CGC missed a trim on a major key high dollar value issue that deserves more scrutiny than most any other book that comes through their doors......twice?

^^

Then WITHOUT LOOKING AT BOOK came to ultimate conclusion that the walk around was valid???? WTF????

NOW they remember the book????

lol Straight up, what a joke...how does buying the book and removing it from circulation answer the root problem, they can't detect trimming with any real certainty? How does that make any of us with Slabs in our collections feel the least bit confident in their present status? How do I feel any better now sending a book in to be graded? I don't slab books for the slab itself, I've always struggled with resto check...that's the major reason I like graded books. I think, like several of my friends who left these boards already, it's time to rethink that strategy.

Ironically.... I just hit my first PLOD "cover trimmed" on a SA/BA submission lol

re-sub it walk through :D:baiting:

BUT ONLY ON A THURSDAY FOR A BUSY CON

Edited by CBT

Buyer said it was OK to share

- As of 9am this morning CGC wanted the book to look it over again and make a determination. Offered buyer $3500 to buy the book outright.

- Buyer does not respond to CGC as he wants to keep the book for his collection (his intentions the entire time)

- CGC makes a statement around 5pm stating they are in the process of buying the book back, and it is DEFINATELY trimmed

What to believe?? Maybe I'm the one being April Fooled (shrug)

Pretty much what I said was likely the final outcome of this.

But I am troubled about what "removed from the market" means. If CGC does end up buying the book. Why not make a final determination that it is a purple label, and sell it that way. To recoup some of their purchase costs?

Or is it such a hard thing to ascertain that it is trimmed, that it may slip past them again in the future? I would think that this specific book would now be scanned and documented, with pictures hanging on the CGC walls, stating "trimmed" in bright orange letters. Like those list of names on store cash registers that state "no checks from these people".

But what do I know. I don't grade thousands of comic books a year.

Buyer said it was OK to share

- As of 9am this CGC wanted the book to look it over again and make a determination. Offered buyer $3500 to buy the book outright.

- Buyer does not respond to CGC as he wants to keep the book for his collection (his intentions the entire time)

- CGC makes a statement around 5pm stating they are in the process of buying the book back, and it is DEFINATELY trimmed

What to believe?? Maybe I'm the one being April Fooled (shrug)

That book needs to be inspected by an unbiased third-party.

WTF Plitch? Is the above bolded part true?

Not sure which is the worse scenario :

1)That the book is trimmed & CGC missed it twice.

2)The book isn't trimmed, and CGC is claiming that it is.

:ohnoez:

Ironically.... I just hit my first PLOD "cover trimmed" on a SA/BA submission lol

re-sub it walk through :D:baiting:

BUT ONLY ON A THURSDAY FOR A BUSY CON

And then DON'T POST ABOUT IT.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... :screwy:

But, while CGC has done right to rectify THIS book, and in that I mean, literally all they can do. What they havent done, is address any of the ISSUES which the situation has raised.

I'd like to seem them address the issues involved, and though I am HIGHLY SKEPTICAL, wonder if they realize they cannot indefinitely use ambiguity and obfuscation to bludgeon their customers.

Opening up for more transparency is coming, dont know when, and dont know how, but it will eventually come. As in all things in life, it likely wont be adopted until its forced upon them, and at much greater cost/consequence, then if smart actions were taken earlier.

Ok, I'll bite. What, exactly, are the other issues that have been raised here?

CGC made a mistake and graded a trimmed book as unrestored. They don't claim to be infallible and I'm sure this won't be the last time they screw up. What matters (to me, at least) is how they act when mistakes like this are brought to their attention and as far as I can tell, they're doing exactly what people wanted them to - admit they made a mistake & try to make the submitter whole.

Apart from Kav's nonsense ramblings, what am I missing here?

But, while CGC has done right to rectify THIS book, and in that I mean, literally all they can do. What they havent done, is address any of the ISSUES which the situation has raised.

I'd like to seem them address the issues involved, and though I am HIGHLY SKEPTICAL, wonder if they realize they cannot indefinitely use ambiguity and obfuscation to bludgeon their customers.

Opening up for more transparency is coming, dont know when, and dont know how, but it will eventually come. As in all things in life, it likely wont be adopted until its forced upon them, and at much greater cost/consequence, then if smart actions were taken earlier.

CGC made a mistake and graded a trimmed book as unrestored. They don't claim to be infallible and I'm sure this won't be the last time they screw up. What matters (to me, at least) is how they act when mistakes like this are brought to their attention and as far as I can tell, they're doing exactly what people wanted them to - admit they made a mistake & try to make the submitter whole.

How do we know it was actually trimmed??? Cause they said so? Without looking at it? Yeah I know-more Kav nonsense....

I envision another scenario where The CGC purchases the JIM, attaches a thin chain to the top two corners, then uses it as an in-house dunce cap by making any employee who up wear it around his or her neck for the day.

The book was graded 3 times (of course I don't know if it was ever graded before I got it) It came back Blue twice and Purple once. Shouldn't the assumption be it's Blue??

I'm pretty sure if You gave me a stereomicroscope and some trimmed and untrimmed books and a few hours I would have a 100% error-free trimming detection rate.....

Would you also be able to find your ?

I envision another scenario where The CGC purchases the JIM, attaches a thin chain to the top two corners, then uses it as an in-house dunce cap by making any employee who up wear it around his or her neck for the day.

Now that's a :signfunny:

They looked at the book-said it wasnt trimmed

Looked at it again-said it was trimmed

Looked at it again, said not trimmed

Looked at it AGAIN-showed it to everyone-said it was trimmed

HAVEN'T looked at it again but confirm it is trimmed....

Yeah-nonsense...

How do we know it was actually trimmed??? Cause they said so? Without looking at it? Yeah I know-more Kav nonsense....

I'm still assuming your stupidity is an act, but, sure ...

How do we know any book in a purple slab is actually restored? Because CGC says so. If you don't trust their expertise on this matter, don't use their service.

I'm pretty sure if You gave me a stereomicroscope and some trimmed and untrimmed books and a few hours I would have a 100% error-free trimming detection rate.....

Would you also be able to find your ?

Ha ha oh mess that's so FUNNY

Who writes your material

I'm still assuming your stupidity is an act, but, sure ...

How do we know any book in a purple slab is actually restored? Because CGC says so. If you don't trust their expertise on this matter, don't use their service.

Dude you are missing my point-their final determination was made WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE BOOK.

Per the suggestion of Shadroch I am opening the official retirement home for CGC books. It will be called Techtre's Retired Ink Museum (TRIM for short).

Someone at CGC please PM me for the mailing address when you get ahold of that JIM 83.

Thank you.