• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Sandman Art Day!!

12 posts in this topic

In a return to form of sorts, I am super psyched to add these gorgeous, and key pages to my collection. Very hungry for more great Sandman pages if anyone has any leads!!

It's great to be able to set goals and achieve them - just a couple weeks ago I was in San Francisco looking at all the amazing Sandman art and saying to myself "I need to figure out a way to find some great Sandman art for MY walls" - well here some is!!

I am just over the moon for these.

Sandman #69 Pages - 1st FULL appearance of the new Dream!!

Awesome pages, congratulations! I've often wondered which Sandman artist I would go for if I were actively seeking a page. Hempel would be somewhere at the top of my list, but I'm interested to hear yours. Do you have a favorite, or is it more about key moments from the book for you?

Awesome pages, congratulations! I've often wondered which Sandman artist I would go for if I were actively seeking a page. Hempel would be somewhere at the top of my list, but I'm interested to hear yours. Do you have a favorite, or is it more about key moments from the book for you?

I am maybe a little bit atypical when it comes to Sandman art, because of my feelings about Kieth. Since I've already said I'm looking for more, I might as well go a step further and talk about some of my favorite artists and why...

Dringenberg - To me, probably the definitive Sandman artist. I am not at all a big Sam Kieth guy. Dringenberg to me more defined the character and his look.

Kelley Jones - Of all the great work KJ has done in his career, his work on Sandman is my favorite. Season of Mists was my favorite story arc and it also had art from my two favorite Sandman artists. (see above)

Hempel - Would really be interested in more Hempel pages, particularly Morpheus pages. At the time, the story was running late and dragging through the (I think) 13 part chapter and folks were not that thrilled with his arc, but in hindsight, the design elements were really some of my favorites. Beautiful stuff.

Zulli - I am a huge fan of Zulli's work on the pages, BUT because they are pencil AND there are no word balloons, they really have to be the right pages for me. I frame everything these days, so a big qualifier for me is how the art looks up on the walls. But for the right page, I would chew off my own leg.

PCR - Only worked on one issue and inked part of another but I really loved Sandman #50. For the right page from that book, I would sell my mother. (lots of hyperbole in this list)

Jill Thompson - I like this volume enough to want a nice example from it, but would never pay through the nose for one. Just calling it like I see it.

There are some other one-offs, like Watkiss, Allred, Alec Stevens, etc that I like, but those are the big ones.

I disliked Thompson and Hempel at the time, but they've really grown on me over the years. Congrats on the pages - that's really one of the key scenes from the later issues!

I love the Keith pages for their significance but I don't think he was the best fit for the series. His creatures and backgrounds were killer, but I've never been a big fan of his human facial expressions.

Totally agree on Dringenberg and Jones.

I also would mention Bachalo on the one-off list - one solid issue of the regular series and two classic Death minis.

I am maybe a little bit atypical when it comes to Sandman art, because of my feelings about Kieth. Since I've already said I'm looking for more, I might as well go a step further and talk about some of my favorite artists and why...

Dringenberg - To me, probably the definitive Sandman artist. I am not at all a big Sam Kieth guy. Dringenberg to me more defined the character and his look.

Kelley Jones - Of all the great work KJ has done in his career, his work on Sandman is my favorite. Season of Mists was my favorite story arc and it also had art from my two favorite Sandman artists. (see above)

Hempel - Would really be interested in more Hempel pages, particularly Morpheus pages. At the time, the story was running late and dragging through the (I think) 13 part chapter and folks were not that thrilled with his arc, but in hindsight, the design elements were really some of my favorites. Beautiful stuff.

Zulli - I am a huge fan of Zulli's work on the pages, BUT because they are pencil AND there are no word balloons, they really have to be the right pages for me. I frame everything these days, so a big qualifier for me is how the art looks up on the walls. But for the right page, I would chew off my own leg.

PCR - Only worked on one issue and inked part of another but I really loved Sandman #50. For the right page from that book, I would sell my mother. (lots of hyperbole in this list)

Jill Thompson - I like this volume enough to want a nice example from it, but would never pay through the nose for one. Just calling it like I see it.

There are some other one-offs, like Watkiss, Allred, Alec Stevens, etc that I like, but those are the big ones.

Solid list. I too would like a Jill Thompson page from "Brief Lives" as it was probably my favorite arc. That being said, she is not my favorite artist. To be fair though, so many talented artists worked on Sandman that there's some stiff competition. Zulli pencils don't quite do it for me either, but I can see the attraction.

First, big congrats to you Jonathan. Definitely a great way to get back into the game. :)

Pretty much agree with Jonathan's order, and share a lot of the same sentiment.

Kieth - Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Kieth's work on the book. The layouts and art are just incredible. Organs and body parts will gladly be donated if I ever come across the couple of pages that I am looking for.

Dringenberg - He's definitely right up there with Sam's work as well. Loved how he drew the Endless, and was very consistent throughout. Wish I still had the one Seasons page that I previously owned. :(

Jones - Has several iconic pages from his Seasons run, and was another top notch artist that added to the tone of the story

Zulli - Yeah, it does suck a little bit with the overlays for the word balloons, BUT the pencil work underneath is just wonderful. Getting to be able to look at some of the pages up close is a real treat.

Bachalo and Vess - even though their sample was extremely limited, the art is absolutely wonderful.

Hempel - Love his style, and would like to eventually add a solid piece from his run.

PCR and Thompson - Wasn't quite as keen on them, but still would love to a nice example from both of them at some point. I still regret passing on the Brief Lives poster art many moons ago in SDCC when it was available.

Later.