• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Set Expansion Requests April 2014

369 posts in this topic

East of West

Please add issues

TPB #1

Thanks!

Thank you for entering 8-10, but the TBP slot is still missing.

Title

East of West Trade Paperback

Issue No. 1

Issue Date 9/13

Year 2013

Publisher Image Comics

I am waiting to add it to make sure there is no objections. There has been a lot of discussions on TPB in sets, so I will add it in a few days if there are no objections.

If you add the TPB slot please make it non-competitive.

My vote is to keep it in a competitive slot, and have a separate, non-variant Registry set.

Are there any other books you would have in a variant set?

Hello,

When you have the time, could you please update the following set:

My Little Pony (IDW)

Can you please ADD:

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic # 6 ~ Dynamic Forces Edition ~ IDW Publishing, 4/13

Thanks so much

East of West

Please add issues

TPB #1

Thanks!

Title

Issue No. 1

Issue Date 9/13

Year 2013

Publisher Image Comics

I am waiting to add it to make sure there is no objections. There has been a lot of discussions on TPB in sets, so I will add it in a few days if there are no objections.

My vote is to keep it in a competitive slot, and have a separate, non-variant Registry set.

Are there any other books you would have in a variant set?

I believe there should be a set that contains all printings, variants, TPBs, previews, etc.

Then another, separate set that would only contain 1st printings of each issue.

That way both types of collectors are represented, and satisfied.

That didn't answer my question in any way. lol

What books that exist would be part of the variant set other than the TPB?

How did it not....?

The variant set would be the set that has already been created, plus the TPB.

That would include the variant covers and additional printings I listed above.

"contains all printings, variants, TPBs, previews, etc"

I then recommended that a "clean", 1st print only set could be created for those who did not want to chase all EoW books that have been published.

I believe this is a common practice for the Registry.

The Walking Dead sets would be an example of this.

Many Modern Registry sets have TPBs included for competition purposes.

PP and MP being two of these.

Actually most sets do not include the TPB. The sets you mentioned are relatively new and should be corrected or the TPB be made non-competitive.

I recommend TPB be treated like foreign editions and have their own set. How many series have TPB that do not appear in the registry?

I see your point.

I'm pretty new to competitive sets myself, and TPBs have always been added when requested in the sets I have paid attention too.

I honesty did not know there would be any resistance to having them in a "Complete with Variants" set.

TPB are their own animal and I think if you look at the vast majority of sets they do not include TPB's. I'm assuming that the PP and MP sets are mostly new members who simply followed the crowd. I can guarantee trying to add a TPB to an existing competitive set that has been around for a few years will have most registry owners trying to block the request.

I understand the desire to have a registry slot but non-competitive would work.

East of West discussion.

Can we move this to a new thread to discuss? It will be easier for me to distinguish the set additions that need to be done. If/when moved I will keep an eye on it to find out resolution.

Thanks,

Nicole

Set: Superman (Doomsday Death Funeral Return)

Request: Remove The Death of Superman Platinum Edition.

Reason: This is a TPB, this set would be better focusing on the individual issues, and there are quite enough of them as it is in this set. Also, if we have this particular TPB, then we would have to include the regular version of the Death of Superman TPB to go with the platinum edition.

I respectfully disagree with this request. The TPB reprints several issues that are already in the set. Some of these individual issues have many reprints already included in that comic's slot. It is a reprint of a reprint. I do not see how this is different than any of the other books in this set with later printings or collector's editions.

I would like you to expand on the comment 'Also, if we have this particular TPB, then we would have to include the regular version of the Death of Superman TPB to go with the platinum edition'. This comment is true for all the other books with more than one printing - what difference do you see between the TPB and the others that are in the set?

One of the things I enjoy about collecting this set is how many printings there are for many of the issues. It is a fun challenge hunting down high grade copies of these and, in my opinion, adds to the overall set by being extremely complete.

It is true that this set does have many reprints, it is also true the TPB is a reprint of a reprint. The difference that I see between this and the other issues in this set is format. The TPS is a collection of individual comic books, printed after the fact. Yes, reprints of individual issues are also printed after the fact, due to sales of prior printings, and a TPB is also a result of previously published issues selling well. The Death of Superman is a TPB still in print, 20 years later. So, expanding on the comment I made about having to include the regular version of this TPB with the platinum edition, if we include the regular printing, then this leads to the multiple printings of the TPB being included. If we have multiple prints for the TPB included, then there is the question of if we should include the millennium edition of Superman #75, a reprint done several years later, and/or including Superman: The Man of Steel #19 reprint edition for an action figure pack by DC Direct in 2005, or the Newstime promotional done around initial release of the comic storyline.

Also going on the format difference on the TPB versus the individual comic issues, the TPB does not contain ads or letter columns like the individual issues. The TPBs are also distributed differently and are sometimes available when single comic issues are not distributed. I see including the TPB along the same lines as wanting to include the omnibus edition in this set, books/graphic novels if you will, versus single issue comic magazines.

With a set like this, I believe there has to be a stopping point, including TPBs and their accompanying multiple printings, promotional reprints done years later for this storyline are not necessary. I also think that including reprints of reprints in this set would be like including EC Archives Editions in registry sets for Tales from the Crypt and other EC runs, or DC Archive Editions in sets in various DC sets.

The platinum edition of the trade was only recently added to the set. I argued against it earlier in this thread, but conceded that if reprints are in, then this trade could also be in. Other sets have trades as well. As to the point about including reprints of trades, those are not numbered and set apart as are the reprints of, say, Superman 75. The millennium edition and the Mattel reprint (which I just requested be added to the set) absolutely do, I believe, belong in the set, being single issue reprints exactly along the lines of all the other reprints already in the set.

Whereas I can agree that the trades ought not to be included due to format, these others have to be, or else all the reprints and collector's editions would have to be expunged.

Here's my solution: Create a "clean" Death of Superman set: first printings only. I'd love to see that. Call the existing set the "Master set" or some such thing denoting it's catch-all make-up.

That's my take, thanks.

I think this is a good compromise - have one set with all variants, later printings, tpbs, etc will appease the collectors who collect in this manner and have another set with just first prints for these collectors.

East of West

Please add issues

TPB #1

Thanks!

Title

Issue No. 1

Issue Date 9/13

Year 2013

Publisher Image Comics

+1

East of West

Please add issues

TPB #1

Thanks!

Title

Issue No. 1

Issue Date 9/13

Year 2013

Publisher Image Comics

+1

I vote to keep it non-competitive.

Ladies,

Please add the following books to the Neal Adams - DC and Marvel Cover set:

First X-Men #nn cert # 0228419012

Batman Illustrated #2 cert # 0228419006

Green Lantern/Green Arrow #nn cert # 0228419007

Batman Odyssey #nn cert # 0224769023

Thanks!

East of West discussion.

Can we move this to a new thread to discuss? It will be easier for me to distinguish the set additions that need to be done. If/when moved I will keep an eye on it to find out resolution.

Thanks,

Nicole

There is a vote going on.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7681127#Post7681127

Let's give it about a week and see where we stand.

Thanks!

Hey Nicole!

Please add the following.

Set: Eric Basaldua (EBAS) Cover Set

Book: Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Pinocchio #nn

Extra Info: Certification #0187054019

Book: Grimm Fairy Tales: Return to Wonderland #1

Extra Info: Certification #0171187011

Book: Joy & Pain #1 Basaldua "Nice" Edition

Extra Info: Certification #1237556002

Book: Joy & Pain #1 Basaldua "Naughty" Edition

Extra Info: Certification #1237556007

Book: Joy & Pain #1 Basaldua Sketch Cover

Extra Info: Certification #1237556011

Thanks!

Reason: This is a TPB, this set would be better focusing on the individual issues, and there are quite enough of them as it is in this set. Also, if we have this particular TPB, then we would have to include the regular version of the Death of Superman TPB to go with the platinum edition.

I respectfully disagree with this request. The TPB reprints several issues that are already in the set. Some of these individual issues have many reprints already included in that comic's slot. It is a reprint of a reprint. I do not see how this is different than any of the other books in this set with later printings or collector's editions.

I would like you to expand on the comment 'Also, if we have this particular TPB, then we would have to include the regular version of the Death of Superman TPB to go with the platinum edition'. This comment is true for all the other books with more than one printing - what difference do you see between the TPB and the others that are in the set?

One of the things I enjoy about collecting this set is how many printings there are for many of the issues. It is a fun challenge hunting down high grade copies of these and, in my opinion, adds to the overall set by being extremely complete.

It is true that this set does have many reprints, it is also true the TPB is a reprint of a reprint. The difference that I see between this and the other issues in this set is format. The TPS is a collection of individual comic books, printed after the fact. Yes, reprints of individual issues are also printed after the fact, due to sales of prior printings, and a TPB is also a result of previously published issues selling well. The Death of Superman is a TPB still in print, 20 years later. So, expanding on the comment I made about having to include the regular version of this TPB with the platinum edition, if we include the regular printing, then this leads to the multiple printings of the TPB being included. If we have multiple prints for the TPB included, then there is the question of if we should include the millennium edition of Superman #75, a reprint done several years later, and/or including Superman: The Man of Steel #19 reprint edition for an action figure pack by DC Direct in 2005, or the Newstime promotional done around initial release of the comic storyline.

Also going on the format difference on the TPB versus the individual comic issues, the TPB does not contain ads or letter columns like the individual issues. The TPBs are also distributed differently and are sometimes available when single comic issues are not distributed. I see including the TPB along the same lines as wanting to include the omnibus edition in this set, books/graphic novels if you will, versus single issue comic magazines.

With a set like this, I believe there has to be a stopping point, including TPBs and their accompanying multiple printings, promotional reprints done years later for this storyline are not necessary. I also think that including reprints of reprints in this set would be like including EC Archives Editions in registry sets for Tales from the Crypt and other EC runs, or DC Archive Editions in sets in various DC sets.

The platinum edition of the trade was only recently added to the set. I argued against it earlier in this thread, but conceded that if reprints are in, then this trade could also be in. Other sets have trades as well. As to the point about including reprints of trades, those are not numbered and set apart as are the reprints of, say, Superman 75. The millennium edition and the Mattel reprint (which I just requested be added to the set) absolutely do, I believe, belong in the set, being single issue reprints exactly along the lines of all the other reprints already in the set.

Whereas I can agree that the trades ought not to be included due to format, these others have to be, or else all the reprints and collector's editions would have to be expunged.

Here's my solution: Create a "clean" Death of Superman set: first printings only. I'd love to see that. Call the existing set the "Master set" or some such thing denoting it's catch-all make-up.

That's my take, thanks.

I think this is a good compromise - have one set with all variants, later printings, tpbs, etc will appease the collectors who collect in this manner and have another set with just first prints for these collectors.

I would agree with Brandon to take out the TPB from the set for all the same reasons he stated.

I would also like to see the MOS 19 Reprint removed from the set. My reason for this is because it was released in 2005 and not even close in comparison to the later printings of the other issues. This is just a reprint 22 years later not a 2nd, 3rd printing that was released in the same time period.

I haven't checked in on this set in awhile and just saw that some issue were removed like MOS 27, 28, Adv. 506, AC 693. I am not sure why that happened and would like to hear the groups thoughts on these being removed. MOS 27 came out before Superman 83 which is the epilogue issue.

I felt like MOS 28, Adv. 506, and AC 693, even though released after the epilogue, should all be included because they wrap up the storyline before a new story arc starts. In MOS 28 Superman wraps things up John Henry Irons to end that storyline. In AC 693 the Eradicator is on the cover and his storyline wraps up and much the same with Superboy in Adv. 506. I would like these back in there but would be fine if everyone else disagrees.

If I could vote for a main set it would be:

Action Comics 683-693 with all printings

Adventures of Superman 496-506 with all printings

Green Lantern 46 with both printings

Justice League America 69-71 with all printings

Superman 73-83 with all printings

Man of Steel 17-28 with all printings

I am not against The Legacy issue (1st and 2nd prints) since it is already in there.

That's my take, thanks.

I would agree with Brandon to take out the TPB from the set for all the same reasons he stated.

I would also like to see the MOS 19 Reprint removed from the set. My reason for this is because it was released in 2005 and not even close in comparison to the later printings of the other issues. This is just a reprint 22 years later not a 2nd, 3rd printing that was released in the same time period.

I haven't checked in on this set in awhile and just saw that some issue were removed like MOS 27, 28, Adv. 506, AC 693. I am not sure why that happened and would like to hear the groups thoughts on these being removed. MOS 27 came out before Superman 83 which is the epilogue issue.

I felt like MOS 28, Adv. 506, and AC 693, even though released after the epilogue, should all be included because they wrap up the storyline before a new story arc starts. In MOS 28 Superman wraps things up John Henry Irons to end that storyline. In AC 693 the Eradicator is on the cover and his storyline wraps up and much the same with Superboy in Adv. 506. I would like these back in there but would be fine if everyone else disagrees.

I am not against The Legacy issue (1st and 2nd prints) since it is already in there.

That's my take, thanks.

I too would like to see MOS 28, AC 693 and Adv 506 added back into the set; however, I strongly disagree with removing MOS 19 2005 Mattel reprint: I requested its addition just a few days ago. It belongs in the set -- it is a single-issue comic reprint with new cover art. As for the trade Death of Superman, I voted against its inclusion but lost. The appropriateness of TPBs in sets is apparently a hot topic right now on the boards.

That's my take, thanks.

I also agree with removing the 2005 Mattel reprint of Man of Steel #19 for the same reasons stated by bryan91. I also wouldn't mind seeing the issues released after the epilogue being added back to the set.

The 2005 Mattel reprint of SMOS 19 should not be removed. It is a comic. It has unique cover art. It was created to be a collectible. It was only just added at the request of more than one person. It is a reprint not unlike any other reprint in the set except it came several years after the fact. How does that fact remotely matter? This is a site about collecting comics. This is a comic that belongs in the death of Superman set and the SMOS set.

Where I can agree that TPBs are out of place in a comic book registry, how is a comic book reprint in the death of Superman storyline out of place in a comic book registry set about the Death of Superman? How does it detract from or mar the set?

I think timing does matter here, the death and return of Superman happened in 1992/93. With respect to the unique cover art of the 2005 MOS 19, the art style does not fit with the art style of the other covers in the set. Also, with the issue of timing, this particular set is not focusing on a continuous title run like Amazing Spider-Man #1-#700 for example. The death and return of Superman set is of course a collection of multiple titles and it's focused on a particular story, printed at a particular time. That is why I feel a reprint from 2005, with a different cover does not fit in a set from the early '90s.