• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics 242 and 252 - Value

26 posts in this topic

I am a big Superman fan and am looking to purchase a Key/Semi-Key Action Comics Issue. I am looking at copies of Action Comics 242 (1st Brainiac) and 252 (1st Supergirl). However, I am having trouble putting a value on these books because the sales are very infrequent and GPA is all over the place on these two issues. Any idea on what a fair price is on a mid to low grade for these books (say 5.0 to 1.8).

Also, which do people think is the bigger key to own?

Cheers,

I think that 242 has been sought after a long time and been expensive, but 252 is a very hot book and value wise may have caught up or surpassed 242. If I was going after one of those two first it would be 252. Just imagine the price if Supergirl ever gets a movie...

I much prefer Action 242, but maybe that's just me.

I recently sold a 1.8/2.0, and it went for a bit over guide. Most sellers want about 2x guide (ebay), but I'm not sure they're consistently finding buyers.

The answer is simple: you must purchase both.

242 is tougher to find than 252, particularly in mid- to high-grade. An epic cover, arguably Superman's second greatest villain (behind Lex), and one of DC editor Mort Weisinger's very first building blocks into the Superman mythos. If you can score OW or better pages, that's awesome, because that book is seemingly almost always with C/OW pages.

252 is not a tough book like 242, but it is in higher demand because (i) a truly historic cover in the history of comics, (ii) two first appearances, and (iii) Supergirl is arguably the second-most recognizable superheroine in all of comics (after WW).

Both are good investment picks in any grade because both continue to be undervalued, particularly when you weigh semi-keys like these to their early 60s Marvel counterparts which are, comparatively speaking, in abundant supply.

Looking at GPA (and it's a little tricky because there are no 2014 reported sales in 4.0, but the trends are generally upwards on prices fetched by neighboring grades), I would say a graded 242 4.0 should fetch about $800, and a graded 252 4.0 should fetch about $750. But be prepared to pay more to get a copy because they tend to get gobbled up quickly. And once you factor in intangibles like cover appeal and PQ, the prices can go higher (or lower).

242. I went through the same angst and chose 242 first. Brainiac is such a badass villain and will clearly be in a movie someday soon so to me it's a better pickup as the price will rise quickly when that happens. 252 is great but my gut tells me SuperGirl will only be introduced once the Superman movie franchise becomes a little more established as a king maker and than you will see SuperGirl take off. You can't go wrong with either and I ended up getting both in low grades.

242. I went through the same angst and chose 242 first. Brainiac is such a badass villain and will clearly be in a movie someday soon so to me it's a better pickup as the price will rise quickly when that happens. 252 is great but my gut tells me SuperGirl will only be introduced once the Superman movie franchise becomes a little more established as a king maker and than you will see SuperGirl take off. You can't go wrong with either and I ended up getting both in low grades.

Yeh, they're both awesome books...which is why I bought both. (thumbs u

i had a beater 242 as a kid and always thought braniac was supes 2nd best villain back in the day but supergirl being a hero with the possibility of being expanded upon in movies or TV someday has to be the better investment.