• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #33 -- Tape Pull?

26 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

I am posting a copy of my beloved Tec 33. You will notice from the grader notes that there are a total of 8 pieces of tape present on the book. One piece on the outside cover, over the date on the left, covering a small tear. Another piece on the inside cover in the same area. And six pieces on the centerfold, on a torn page (the tape does not re-attach the centerfold).

There is obviously nothing I can do about the tape that's on the torn page, but I was wondering I you guys think I should send the book to Matt Nelson for him to at least remove the two pieces of tape that are on the cover (one on the inside, one on the outside). He has already told me that he can likely remove these two pieces, but he obviously cannot guarantee the results, or how much colour loss or residue will remain. I would be heart broken if the date got lifted up with the tape, forcing him to just re-tape it, or put the tape back down or something. I know the covers on the GA book are pretty thick, and it might be able to take the tape pull, but I don't know.

Should I take the chance or just leave well enough alone?

Any input as always is greatly appreciated.

Tec33Front_zps142c6c16.jpg

Warm regards,

-J.

If there is a chance of serious color lift , I'd leave the tape. That copy has sweet eye-appeal as it is now, despite the tape, but any more than a few flecks of color lifted would draw the eye more than the tape does. Tough call, as front cover tape is still an irritant though.

Thank you for the responses so far guys. Rjpb, have you seen what a tape pull has done to any other GA books like this one? The tape doesn't really bother me so much from an aesthetic's point of view though, as apart from it the book is bright and fairly well conserved. I'm more concerned about the damage tape can do to a book over time.

I'm in Los Angeles though, so it could literally take decades for that tape on the cover to oxidize and noticeably damage it.

However, as we all know, we are only temporary owners of these treasures, and I would like to do what's best for the book during my time that I am privileged enough to be its caretaker.

And additional input or opinions is much appreciated.

Warm regards,

-J.

I've noticed when tape gets really old it just flakes off on its own. Probably best to wait for that.

If Matt Nelson is telling you that he can't guarantee there won't be color loss, then I'd take that as an indication that it's nearly impossible to gauge how any given piece of tape is going to adhere to any particular paper and ink combination over time, as we've all seen everything from tape that gets brittle annd falls off on it's own accord ( often leaving a stain) to tape that appears to meld with paper cover to the point of taking off more than just ink if removed.

A piece of tape that size across Batman's head would bother me way more than where it is now.

Just a gorgeous copy, wow! I wouldn't touch it, but it seems you have more than a casual interest in doing so. Others have commented on the variable factors involved and the potential consequences, but Matt could have a go on the piece on the interior cover first to gauge potential success for the front cover if similar conditions exist. Either way, a fantastic book!

Thank you for the positive feedback on the book, it definitely is the cornerstone of my collection. And as expected there seems to be a bit of ambivalence in the responses as well.

I guess what I'm basically wondering is if you guys think the potential improvement in eye appeal as well as saving the book from the potential damage that tape can cause is worth the risk that can result if the tape is pulled, which in itself can damage the book. Is the potential risk worth the potential reward in your opinions?

-J.

I would enjoy the book as it is! Obviously the original owner (or maybe someone thereafter) was concerned enough to try and preserve the book, not knowing what we know today about tape.

I think it adds history to the book similar to the story behind the "Red Violin". If you ever get a chance to watch a great movie take a minute to watch this one. It gives new meaning to appreciation of history and the passion that people have for material things.

Just imagine the young boy who bought the book at the local store back in 1939, ran to a field, sat under a tree on a warm day late in the summer with the wind blowing. He reads the book and then returns home but notices that the cover is slightly torn and so grabs some tape to preserve his book. His cherished book!

Your cherished book!

I would enjoy the book as it is! Obviously the original owner (or maybe someone thereafter) was concerned enough to try and preserve the book, not knowing what we know today about tape.

I think it adds history to the book similar to the story behind the "Red Violin". If you ever get a chance to watch a great movie take a minute to watch this one. It gives new meaning to appreciation of history and the passion that people have for material things.

Just imagine the young boy who bought the book at the local store back in 1939, ran to a field, sat under a tree on a warm day late in the summer with the wind blowing. He reads the book and then returns home but notices that the cover is slightly torn and so grabs some tape to preserve his book. His cherished book!

Your cherished book!

Yes, this! That's always one of the most enjoyable aspect of owning collectibles, particularly comics, imagining the history behind them. Although they cannot be enjoyed the same in a slab, the slab, in theory at least, better protects the book from further decay (and damage from mishandling), which was my main concern about the tape. However as others have pointed out in this thread, and in PM's that is not likely in the climate I live, even less so if the book is properly stored, the risk of damage by an attempted tape pull is greater than just leaving it be, so I shall leave it be. :cloud9:

-J.

Your cherished book!

Well said (thumbs u

Leave it as is. Keep it in a cool environment with low humidity and you should be fine. If it was a larger area of tape on the cover I can understand, but this is not too bad in my opinion.

Leave it as is. Keep it in a cool environment with low humidity and you should be fine. If it was a larger area of tape on the cover I can understand, but this is not too bad in my opinion.

I am fortunate enough to live in a very comic friendly environment. :headbang: Thanks for the nice words on the book guys.

Hi Oakman long time no speak. :hi:

-J.

I am fortunate enough to live in a very comic friendly environment. :headbang: Thanks for the nice words on the book guys.

Hi Oakman long time no speak. :hi:

-J.

Hey. :hi: