• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The John Wise Collection

105 posts in this topic

Back in 1989 when I lived in Bakersfield CA. I shared a booth at San Diego with Jef Hinds.

During the weekend a gentleman was at the booth and on the badge was John Wise Paducah KY. I mentioned I was from a small town just 40 miles from Paducah and I found out he knew my Grandmother really well.

We exchanged phone numbers and my next trip back to KY the wife and I went to his mansion for a cookout. I got to enter his vault and see most of these comics and it was overwhelming to say the least.Yes he had a vault built into the basement of the house.

Now once John liquidates all his Gold comics I will be the King of Gold in Paducah with my Cap 1 and Bat 1. :acclaim:

John I hope you make lots of money!

Back in 1989 when I lived in Bakersfield CA. I shared a booth at San Diego with Jef Hinds.

During the weekend a gentleman was at the booth and on the badge was John Wise Paducah KY. I mentioned I was from a small town just 40 miles from Paducah and I found out he knew my Grandmother really well.

We exchanged phone numbers and my next trip back to KY the wife and I went to his mansion for a cookout. I got to enter his vault and see most of these comics and it was overwhelming to say the least.Yes he had a vault built into the basement of the house.

Now once John liquidates all his Gold comics I will be the King of Gold in Paducah with my Cap 1 and Bat 1. :acclaim:

I was think to myself, where do you keep all of these keys and how do you store them so you can sleep at night. A vault built into the basement slab makes as much sense as anything else.

I was think to myself, where do you keep all of these keys and how do you store them so you can sleep at night. A vault built into the basement slab makes as much sense as anything else.

I just store mine with dealers. They don't realize it, of course, because I haven't actually bought the books yet. :D

We were in NYC for a show a couple of years ago and we make it a habit to eat at Carmines every time we go. For anybody who has never been, best Chicken Wings you will every have again for the rest of your life. I guarantee it.

Anyhow, so there is always a 1 - 1.5 hour wait at Carmines for dinner and we are hanging out at the bar area waiting for our tables when we hear a group of people talking with heavy accents. We strike up a conversation with 'em and the one girl shouts out that they're from 'Paducah Kentucky' in her heavy accent.

It was hilarious. We told them how we know a few dealers in the area and they were then trying to figure out who it was.

"Does he drive a white truck / van?" she asked.

It was a fun conversation. Wonderful people from Paducah, they are!

SDCon2013_05.jpg

Its so nice it almost looks fake. Excellent!!!

It's restored, isn't it?

It's restored and you can see it in a PLOD on c-connect. It does have extraordinarily intense colors -- the best that many very experienced GA collectors had seen.