• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this board mainly full of high end collectors?

184 posts in this topic

I guess I'm a flipper. I'm not really into selling books for same or less than I bought it.

Kav, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

Finally.

I'll join you. I'm here to learn.

imagine if Luke would have had that response in Empire, ROTJ would have been so much better.

I guess I'm a flipper. I'm not really into selling books for same or less than I bought it.

Kav, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

Finally.

Stop making me laugh.... lollol your ruining my cool calm and detatched persona (:

They use me on the Vulcan Science Council to test recruits.

Finally.

imagine if Luke would have had that response in Empire, ROTJ would have been so much better.

EXACTLY.

Vader could have said 'look dude-there's always 2 Siths-wouldn't you rather it was you than the Emperor? We can do good cop/Bad cop on the galaxy dude.....'

I am trying to get a sense of the environment here. I could be wrong but it seem like most of the people here are really high end collectors and I feel really out of my element.

I have not collected in years and to be honest back when I collected I just would pick up anything that I thought had a good story or artwork. I am wanting to get back into collecting again but I have a very limited budget and if this truly is a high end collectors board I would not really want to waste your time because I really do not have the money to be a high end collector.

I would like to gain some real knowledge about this hobby and become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics. With my budget issues really high end collecting is most likely out for the time being but

Where are the best sites or books I can pick up to get a general idea about really collecting and would you guys even want me to stick around because I really do not want to get in anyone's way.

First and foremost,enjoy and learn from your time on the boards.There are a ton of knowledgeable people here,who can help you with just about anything.Welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

And for God's sake, THINK FOR YOURSELF. Don't let others negatively influence you. There are a lot of gossips around here, but if someone tells you something negative about someone else...*especially* in private...question why they are doing it.

...and then draw your own conclusions based on your own experiences.

:)

I am trying to get a sense of the environment here. I could be wrong but it seem like most of the people here are really high end collectors and I feel really out of my element.

I have not collected in years and to be honest back when I collected I just would pick up anything that I thought had a good story or artwork. I am wanting to get back into collecting again but I have a very limited budget and if this truly is a high end collectors board I would not really want to waste your time because I really do not have the money to be a high end collector.

I would like to gain some real knowledge about this hobby and become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics. With my budget issues really high end collecting is most likely out for the time being but

Where are the best sites or books I can pick up to get a general idea about really collecting and would you guys even want me to stick around because I really do not want to get in anyone's way.

First and foremost,enjoy and learn from your time on the boards.There are a ton of knowledgeable people here,who can help you with just about anything.Welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

And for God's sake, THINK FOR YOURSELF. Don't let others negatively influence you. There are a lot of gossips around here, but if someone tells you something negative about someone else...*especially* in private...question why they are doing it.

...and then draw your own conclusions based on your own experiences.

:)

Especially ignore the flurry of PM's about me.

When I first joined here I too thought everyone here was rich or something. I joined this community when I first started collecting, you know, buying at cover price and thinking $30 was A LOT for a comic. Here I am almost a year later, graduated from school, stable career and now I know I can hang with those I thought were "rich" Is a fun place to lurk/post/ and best of all buy, I trust the people that sell here. Also I've learned a lot here and still am.

When I first joined here I too thought everyone here was rich or something. I joined this community when I first started collecting, you know, buying at cover price and thinking $30 was A LOT for a comic. Here I am almost a year later, graduated from school, stable career and now I know I can hang with those I thought were "rich" Is a fun place to lurk/post/ and best of all buy, I trust the people that sell here. Also I've learned a lot here and still am.

I'm glad you hung in there,congrats on getting through college. :applause:

I didn't think I would make it out alive,if you know what I mean. (Way too much partying) :gossip:

There's room for everyone. Some threads are for high rollers but there's lots of ones for mid and low end collectors.

+1000 to what Miraclemet and Chrisco said about finding "your" thread(s) and their other general advice.

Read more than you post. Just because you can respond doesn't mean you have to.

Collect what you like and be open to others likes.

Remember, the local library is your friend.

What did you collect before and what do you want to collect now?

This board has both high end, low end and no end collectors. The common thing that unites us all is a passion for comics and erudition. If you want to learn about comics there is no better place than here. If you are polite and ignore the trolls and snide comments you will have a great time and in no way will the calibre of books you collect get in anyone's way.

Welcome to the boards.

I own no CGC graded book, and my keys are mostly low to mid grade. This is a great place to talk comics and collecting, and a great place to learn what to look for in whatever book and condition you seek. I say stick around.

Finally.

EXACTLY.

Vader could have said 'look dude-there's always 2 Siths-wouldn't you rather it was you than the Emperor? We can do good cop/Bad cop on the galaxy dude.....'

you guys realize the abbreviation for THAT movie is ROTS.

Stinker. Doesn't work. :)

I'm a really low end collector myself, but these message boards have been more valuable than anything.

Just the pure scale of knowledge here is pretty crazy.

I collect pretty low grade Four Color and Dell issues and Bronze age Conan stuff and I haven't had any issues here.

There's always something fun for everyone here. Especially the PIF thread and things like the holiday raffle.

Finally.

EXACTLY.

you guys realize the abbreviation for THAT movie is ROTS.

Stinker. Doesn't work. :)

my version Luke leaves with Vader and in ROTJ he comes back to the "light side" after he screws up Han and just as he's about to slaughter Leia, Han yells out, "she's pregnant" - this stops Luke from killing Leia, who says to Luke "twins"...this pushes Luke to fight against Vader and kills him off..the final scene he is scene with R2 going after the Emperor.

FYI my version no Ewoks

I don't think the word "envy" is appropriate for these boards. Many of us, myself included am "wowed" by what others find and have in their collections no matter how big or small or pricey their collections are.

You may be impressed by someone's collection and feel that yours is not like theirs. I guarantee you that someone sees things in your collection that they wish they had.

Well to be honest when it comes to my own collection I seriously kind of doubt that. I will say that it is a little depressing to buy and store comics that are 15+ years old and find out that they are worth even less then what I paid for them when I bought them at cover price.

I am currently still trying to decide the best option for selling the books that I am trying to get rid of. Most of the ones that I have looked up so far are worth ($2.50-$4.00) if they are in mint so I honestly do not think I would get anything for them at a shop. Then again I do not know if anyone on these boards would be interested in this kind of thing. Like I said, they are not high end books.

It is just kind of depressing to take 200+ books to a shop and get $20.00 bucks for them. Guess I will do what I can to narrow my collection down and make it a little bit more manageable. As soon as I figure out what that is :)