• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this board mainly full of high end collectors?

184 posts in this topic

Welcome to the CGC Boards! :hi:

I have not collected in years and to be honest back when I collected I just would pick up anything that I thought had a good story or artwork. I am wanting to get back into collecting again but I have a very limited budget and if this truly is a high end collectors board I would not really want to waste your time because I really do not have the money to be a high end collector.

It’s not, proof of that: I’m here… lol

BTW, you appear to have been a reader (probably as a kid) in the early 1990s.

I knew when I was buying my Marvels in the early 1990s that they would have never had much value, because 90% of them were… :sick:

P.S. Here’s something sweet to soothe your brain: :foryou:

Pc5WaInh.jpg

Don't be afraid to post them for sale on these boards. Chances are you will get someone who is looking to buy runs for the sole purpose of reading them (as opposed to buying for investment). I'm an example. While I buy and sell keys on a regular basis, I recently discovered that I like to read Batman comics (was strictly marve before) and went on a buying binge for low grade silvers, bronze and copper. Drek and all. Point being, it may karmically be better to get the books in a boardie's hands than a shop's.

I am not a high end collector or baller of sorts T_T

I started collecting again about 2 or 3 years ago. Mainly CGC books and the books that I grew up reading. Mine or mostly moderns from the late 80's to early 90's.

I don't collect to profit but more of collect for my enjoyment. Most I paid for a slab book is $150 but haven't ventured higher yet. I also collect key issues from the modern era from Marvel. 99% of my moderns are in 9.8. I set a goal for myself to obtain these grades but will see when money runs dry lol

Lately I have been wanting to start a completion of The Uncanny X-Men series and later possibly the ASM series as well. Going to be expensive but the enjoyment comes when I'm searching, buying and receiving these books.

By being here, I also learned a few things.

Some day I will buy ASM1 and AF15 but right now I don't see myself spending $5k+ for these types of books yet.

I'm also a automotive enthusiast and my money goes into buying car parts for my builds. I spend more money on car parts than comics but people collect in many ways. I know car guys that collect rare and hard to find parts for Japanese cars. I know car guys that collect wheels. To each their own.

I don't think the word "envy" is appropriate for these boards. Many of us, myself included am "wowed" by what others find and have in their collections no matter how big or small or pricey their collections are.

You may be impressed by someone's collection and feel that yours is not like theirs. I guarantee you that someone sees things in your collection that they wish they had.

Well to be honest when it comes to my own collection I seriously kind of doubt that. I will say that it is a little depressing to buy and store comics that are 15+ years old and find out that they are worth even less then what I paid for them when I bought them at cover price.

I am currently still trying to decide the best option for selling the books that I am trying to get rid of. Most of the ones that I have looked up so far are worth ($2.50-$4.00) if they are in mint so I honestly do not think I would get anything for them at a shop. Then again I do not know if anyone on these boards would be interested in this kind of thing. Like I said, they are not high end books.

It is just kind of depressing to take 200+ books to a shop and get $20.00 bucks for them. Guess I will do what I can to narrow my collection down and make it a little bit more manageable. As soon as I figure out what that is :)

This post makes my spider sense tingle, just a tad. Perhaps things are not as originally thought.

Time will tell.

In any event. Welcome to posting.

I must confess that I am a little confused about your reply here. The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into. Because of this I am having to narrow down my focus of the comics that I am going to collect instead of just picking up whatever might interest me. I am currently going through some of the old comics that I do not really have a huge interest in keeping (either because the series ended, was not as good as what I had hoped, The issues are not as collectible as I thought they would be back in the day, or other reasons) and find myself with a large box of comics that I am checking the values for. As I suspected, most of these issues are not worth what I paid for them back when I first purchased them so I am trying to decide what I need to do with them to free up room to buy more comics that I actually want.

I originally entertained the idea of trying to sell them online but after being on these boards for a day or two I think it would be an insult to try to off load most of these low value books on E-Bay or some other site so I am most likely just going to take them to my local shop and sell them for pennies just to get rid of them and make some more room.

Here is the problem for some of us "low value" copper and modern collectors. The only place that has the comics we are interested are either My Comic Shop or Mile High Comics and unfortunately, both those establishments are very loose on their grades for books under $10. If you have NM condition comics, there is a market for them, even if those comics are only worth $1 - 5. You can sell you comics to a dealer for pennies, or you can post your comics here or on E-Bay and price them in the $1 - 5 range. If they are really in NM condition, they will sell. If they are in less than NM condition, then going the dealer route makes sense.

My advice is don't post too much.

Wouldn't want to replace the King of Postings!

:grin:

Picture if you will someone who showed up and started posting more than me.....

It's not possible. You are either retired or no longer have to work because of a disability. (Guessing.) Everyone else has school, work, etc. which will prevent them from achieving your breath taking amount of postings.

Kav is still a noob. Don't get me started, trust me.

:)

-slym

Whatever happened to that Cal-El dude?

CAL would have eaten you for breakfast.

Those two definitely need to meet.

One or both of them would be getting vacations.

(:

-slym

I see some good betting on that bout.

Don't rile him up, people. Unless you want to be defeated. lol

right?

What?

Right? They'll get defeated