• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this board mainly full of high end collectors?

184 posts in this topic

I like to this this board is filled with people who are devoted to their collections and bring expert knowledge and insight to the hobby, regardless of income or grade. My collection has grown and shrunk and grown again - but it's full of great stuff thanks to the infromation and ideas I've gotten from the people here.

I don't think the word "envy" is appropriate for these boards. Many of us, myself included am "wowed" by what others find and have in their collections no matter how big or small or pricey their collections are.

You may be impressed by someone's collection and feel that yours is not like theirs. I guarantee you that someone sees things in your collection that they wish they had.

Well to be honest when it comes to my own collection I seriously kind of doubt that. I will say that it is a little depressing to buy and store comics that are 15+ years old and find out that they are worth even less then what I paid for them when I bought them at cover price.

I am currently still trying to decide the best option for selling the books that I am trying to get rid of. Most of the ones that I have looked up so far are worth ($2.50-$4.00) if they are in mint so I honestly do not think I would get anything for them at a shop. Then again I do not know if anyone on these boards would be interested in this kind of thing. Like I said, they are not high end books.

It is just kind of depressing to take 200+ books to a shop and get $20.00 bucks for them. Guess I will do what I can to narrow my collection down and make it a little bit more manageable. As soon as I figure out what that is :)

This post makes my spider sense tingle, just a tad. Perhaps things are not as originally thought.

Time will tell.

In any event. Welcome to posting.

I am trying to get a sense of the environment here. I could be wrong but it seem like most of the people here are really high end collectors and I feel really out of my element.

I have not collected in years and to be honest back when I collected I just would pick up anything that I thought had a good story or artwork. I am wanting to get back into collecting again but I have a very limited budget and if this truly is a high end collectors board I would not really want to waste your time because I really do not have the money to be a high end collector.

I would like to gain some real knowledge about this hobby and become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics. With my budget issues really high end collecting is most likely out for the time being but

Where are the best sites or books I can pick up to get a general idea about really collecting and would you guys even want me to stick around because I really do not want to get in anyone's way.

Welcome to the boards. This is what's great about the hobby. There's something for everyone. A kaleidoscope of collecting: high end to low end, genre focus, age focus, pedigree focus, slabbed, non-slabbed, or some just looking for that one special book. My breath of knowledge has increased just by reading and posting on this forum (some of it interesting and entertaining, and some of it drek).

For myself, I focus on Super-Hero Silver Age books from 1966-1970 as that is when I first got into collecting as a kid. I do have lots of other books and have dabbled in other genres just because my interactions with others here on the boards have expanded my interests. So be your own person, be proud of what your interests are and don't be intimidated by what others have or are doing. All of us can lift the hobby and keep it vibrant and interesting. :whee:

... become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics.

I just want to be a guy walking around buying comics, without worrying about things that we all obsess over these days, including, but not limited to, (i) GPA, (ii) over-paying, (iii) under-selling, (iv) page quality, (v) registry, (vi) restoration, (vii) pressing, and (viii) rusted staples. Like being a kid collector again. :cloud9:

I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

I use VG's as liner for my inventory boxes.

Low grade pollutes my high grade inventory.

I think we have established a range.

lol

... become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics.

I just want to be a guy walking around buying comics, without worrying about things that we all obsess over these days, including, but not limited to, (i) GPA, (ii) over-paying, (iii) under-selling, (iv) page quality, (v) registry, (vi) restoration, (vii) pressing, and (viii) rusted staples. Like being a kid collector again. :cloud9:

But the OP pines about being a 'real collector' and yet also complains that he can't sell his 15 year old comics for what he paid for them.

Am I missing something?

But the OP pines about being a 'real collector' and yet also complains that he can't sell his 15 year old comics for what he paid for them.

Am I missing something?

Justin?

"There's always a bigger fish". Whatever the condition and contents of your collection, you will see others here that are bigger and better than yours. I collect Marvels and DCs from 1965 to 1975 in 8.5 condition, on average, and I have about 2,000 books. My collection would probably "Wow" one third of the folks on here, and equally bore another third. I can't believe when I see fellow boardies with my same books in 9.6, or Golden Age books in 8.5. And on the other hand, I shake my head when I see people slabbing books that came out last week. But to each their own; live and let live. Just collect what you love and always have fun with it.

My advice is don't post too much.

Wouldn't want to replace the King of Postings!

:grin:

Picture if you will someone who showed up and started posting more than me.....

It's not possible. You are either retired or no longer have to work because of a disability. (Guessing.) Everyone else has school, work, etc. which will prevent them from achieving your breath taking amount of postings.

Who says you can't work and post? :sumo:

concentrating - i'm seeing a name that contain 3 G's in it and i also see gremlins - lots of gremlins.

concentrating - i'm seeing a name that contain 3 G's in it and i also see gremlins - lots of gremlins.

Lady Gagaga?

I don't think the word "envy" is appropriate for these boards. Many of us, myself included am "wowed" by what others find and have in their collections no matter how big or small or pricey their collections are.

You may be impressed by someone's collection and feel that yours is not like theirs. I guarantee you that someone sees things in your collection that they wish they had.

Well to be honest when it comes to my own collection I seriously kind of doubt that. I will say that it is a little depressing to buy and store comics that are 15+ years old and find out that they are worth even less then what I paid for them when I bought them at cover price.

I am currently still trying to decide the best option for selling the books that I am trying to get rid of. Most of the ones that I have looked up so far are worth ($2.50-$4.00) if they are in mint so I honestly do not think I would get anything for them at a shop. Then again I do not know if anyone on these boards would be interested in this kind of thing. Like I said, they are not high end books.

It is just kind of depressing to take 200+ books to a shop and get $20.00 bucks for them. Guess I will do what I can to narrow my collection down and make it a little bit more manageable. As soon as I figure out what that is :)

This post makes my spider sense tingle, just a tad. Perhaps things are not as originally thought.

Time will tell.

I must confess that I am a little confused about your reply here. The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into. Because of this I am having to narrow down my focus of the comics that I am going to collect instead of just picking up whatever might interest me. I am currently going through some of the old comics that I do not really have a huge interest in keeping (either because the series ended, was not as good as what I had hoped, The issues are not as collectible as I thought they would be back in the day, or other reasons) and find myself with a large box of comics that I am checking the values for. As I suspected, most of these issues are not worth what I paid for them back when I first purchased them so I am trying to decide what I need to do with them to free up room to buy more comics that I actually want.

I originally entertained the idea of trying to sell them online but after being on these boards for a day or two I think it would be an insult to try to off load most of these low value books on E-Bay or some other site so I am most likely just going to take them to my local shop and sell them for pennies just to get rid of them and make some more room.

Time will tell.

I must confess that I am a little confused about your reply here. The truth is that I have recently been informed by my Fiancee that the collection I have had since I was a kid is a little too massive for the two bedroom apartment that we have just moved into. Because of this I am having to narrow down my focus of the comics that I am going to collect instead of just picking up whatever might interest me. I am currently going through some of the old comics that I do not really have a huge interest in keeping (either because the series ended, was not as good as what I had hoped, The issues are not as collectible as I thought they would be back in the day, or other reasons) and find myself with a large box of comics that I am checking the values for. As I suspected, most of these issues are not worth what I paid for them back when I first purchased them so I am trying to decide what I need to do with them to free up room to buy more comics that I actually want.

I originally entertained the idea of trying to sell them online but after being on these boards for a day or two I think it would be an insult to try to off load most of these low value books on E-Bay or some other site so I am most likely just going to take them to my local shop and sell them for pennies just to get rid of them and make some more room.

You are definitely experiencing what many collectors experience when getting rid of their runs. A few years ago, I sold my solid runs for multiples less than what I paid for them when I made the switch to digital comics. Even for popular titles like X-Men - I could barely give away my books from 150-up, and I kept them for sale for several weeks between here and Ebay. Most of the time, it seems that it's a key-issue collecting hobby - and you'll always face a challenge when selling complete runs or non-key books in the Copper and Modern age.

Time will tell.

I, and many others here, have been down this road before. Perhaps just a tad bit jaded because of those experiences. Some have come here with a story and then try to sell things, hoping that their story will entice someone to purchase their offerings as a token of friendship or in a sense of helping someone out. Amazingly, it does happen in that manner. Sometimes they actually don't have any items that ever get sent to a buyer. More often though, they are books not near as described. It is a rare occurrence, but does happen.

The hairs on the back of my neck tend to stand up and take notice when someone talks about their love of their collection, and then moves right into discussing possibly having something for sale. Almost always, it is someone who is new to the site.

Like I said. Welcome to posting here, and learn to ignore what you don't want to participate in, or comments from people like me. That may not be what you want to hear.

It is the only way you will survive with your dignity and mental health, in this arena.

As I said previously. Time will tell.

Dont live in your comic book past. Remember these books arent pure commodities. They are entertainment too. If you read the books and enjoyed them you got something out of them. And remember most books from the 90s arent worth the paper they are printed on. I just auctioned a book off that I bought for $200... final auction sale? $70... it happens some times. All you can do is sigh, and move on.

Time will tell.

I, and many others here, have been down this road before. Perhaps just a tad bit jaded because of those experiences. Some have come here with a story and then try to sell things, hoping that their story will entice someone to purchase their offerings as a token of friendship or in a sense of helping someone out. Amazingly, it does happen in that manner. Sometimes they actually don't have any items that ever get sent to a buyer. More often though, they are books not near as described. It is a rare occurrence, but does happen.

The hairs on the back of my neck tend to stand up and take notice when someone talks about their love of their collection, and then moves right into discussing possibly having something for sale. Almost always, it is someone who is new to the site.

Like I said. Welcome to posting here, and learn to ignore what you don't want to participate in, or comments from people like me. That may not be what you want to hear.

It is the only way you will survive with your dignity and mental health, in this arena.

As I said previously. Time will tell.

I can tell you 100% I would never try to sell anything to anyone on these boards. As I have said before I know next to nothing about the hobby and most of my collection is not worth the paper it is printed on these days :)

That is okay though. I never got into comic book collecting because I wanted to fund my retirement or anything like that. As funny as this might sound, I got into it because I considered it to be an art form and I really loved some of the detailed drawings and complex storylines that some of these comic books told every issue. Because of that I was always open to finding a new title that would interest me so I bought a lot of #1 issues of comics in the 90's. I do not have to tell you that these comics are not worth the paper they are printed on now.

That is okay though. Like I said I did not get into comic books to get rich (even though I would be lying if I said I was not a little disappointed when some of these comics did not even keep the cover price that I paid for them.)

The main reason I came to these boards was to learn and to be around people that are as excited about the hobby as I used to be. I am hoping to get excited again. I just want to be a little bit more knowledgeable and a little bit more focused this time around.

I have been the victim of bad comic book sales myself in the past. I once bought a collection from a person that I thought was a good friend of mine only to later find out that he had removed all of this issues that he promised were going to be in the box before he sent them to me. That was a nightmare that ended up costing me well over $150.00+ for a bunch of comic books that were pulled out of a $.10 bin at a comic book store in the city. I learned a valuable lesion that day and would never do that to anyone else. Of course, you do not know me so all you have to go on is the word of a stranger.

Trust and Respect are two things that my father always taught me had to be earned and not just given freely. I will not sell books here or to anyone on this site unless I know a lot more about the hobby than I do now so that I can inform the buyer of what he is really getting and (This one is highly unlikely) I actually have something worth selling because I would not want to waste the time of anyone on here.

It is perfectly fine if some on here do not trust me yet. Trust has to be earned after all and I do not plan on going anywhere :)