• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this board mainly full of high end collectors?

184 posts in this topic

I am trying to get a sense of the environment here. I could be wrong but it seem like most of the people here are really high end collectors and I feel really out of my element.

I have not collected in years and to be honest back when I collected I just would pick up anything that I thought had a good story or artwork. I am wanting to get back into collecting again but I have a very limited budget and if this truly is a high end collectors board I would not really want to waste your time because I really do not have the money to be a high end collector.

I would like to gain some real knowledge about this hobby and become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics. With my budget issues really high end collecting is most likely out for the time being but

Where are the best sites or books I can pick up to get a general idea about really collecting and would you guys even want me to stick around because I really do not want to get in anyone's way.

WTTB. I can attest it is not all about 'high end' collecting. That's just one niche.

The main thing that pulled me in was that there were like minded collectors here that shared similar interests (e.g. bronze horror). Every now and then there are fun activities and games that only similar comic collectors would love.

I also think most collectors start out by collecting things that had personal interest to 'them' in their younger days and for whatever reason, they wish to rekindle the good feelings that collectibles brought them and also can afford to buy more of those things they couldn't back then, as well as expand their knowledge base about those interests.

I'm not sure what constitutes a 'real' collector, but one of the interesting tidbits you'll find around here is that there are many issues of interest to collectors that you might not find in a collector guide or are undervalued, because most of the population aren't aware of their value. An example might be highly interesting cover artwork on a title, that is very difficult to find in decent grade and sought out by your collecting peers, but is not specifically mentioned as anything special in a price guide. When you see it in a store one day, you get a chance to pounce on it as most of the other people in the store don't know about it.

I am trying to get a sense of the environment here. I could be wrong but it seem like most of the people here are really high end collectors and I feel really out of my element.

I have not collected in years and to be honest back when I collected I just would pick up anything that I thought had a good story or artwork. I am wanting to get back into collecting again but I have a very limited budget and if this truly is a high end collectors board I would not really want to waste your time because I really do not have the money to be a high end collector.

I would like to gain some real knowledge about this hobby and become a real collector instead of a guy that just walks around buying comics. With my budget issues really high end collecting is most likely out for the time being but

Where are the best sites or books I can pick up to get a general idea about really collecting and would you guys even want me to stick around because I really do not want to get in anyone's way.

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads — They all adore Kav. They think he's a righteous dude."

I think you'll be fine here...I'm probably in the lower tier also, maybe leaning toward the middle, and I read stuff here nearly every day, and enjoy the heck out of it.

Here you'll see people selling books for in the thousands of dollars often, and you might get the impression you're out of your element, but you're not at all. The good news is those folks are here, and so are the folks that wouldn't drop more than a few bucks.

I like hearing about more people like yourself that have an interest in the books for good stories and artwork...some days I see a few too many posts geared toward the next great comic book investment, and lose a bit of faith in the hobby. I know that's part of the hobby too, and embrace it, but wish it was somewhat less focused upon.

...and would you guys even want me to stick around because I really do not want to get in anyone's way.

Don't even think about that kinda stuff.

All are welcome here. You are absolutely NOT in anyone's way.*

* - Unless you start an eBay thread. :)

Welcome. There are all types of collectors here. You'll find forums dedicated to every era from Golden Age to current books. You'll find dudes working with large and small budgets.

You won't find a better place to learn about the hobby so please stick around and ask lots of questions.

please stick around and ask lots of questions.

Roy will give you the answers.

hey, don't leave out kav

Who?

hey, don't leave out kav

Who?

:taptaptap:

Lots of different types of people on here. I for one have learned a ton in my 4 months here. If you're looking to get back into comics, my number 1 piece of advice is to start learning about grading. Looking back at my first few months of collecting I way over paying for a lot of books because I didn't know how to grade. This site is great for honing grading skills.

While there are people on here with Action #1s; there are plenty of us with much smaller budgets. For some on here, a high grade Tec 29 is a high end book within reach. For me, an Amazing Spider-Man 1 cgc 2.0 is my idea of high end book within reach.

There's something for everybody here. Have fun.