• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 128

322 posts in this topic

Gotta be production-related, huh? All I can think of... (shrug)

That's all I could think of, but even then they do mark it down somewhat at best a 9.0, but I was going on the idea that it was none production and felt it was a 7.5. Just glad I had a bye.

i nailed the BB, oh well, that was not a 9.2 with a chunk out of a corner...i got a 8.5 on a modern a few months ago and i couldn't tell there was any flaws....sigh. How did that PPSS get a 9.8. I had it down to a 9.2 though almost did a 9.4.

Other than the bb i under graded everything. I guess i cost myself money when selling my own books .

I've undergraded 8 of the 12 books thus far. Of course, when I send books into CGC I overgrade 8 out of 12. :facepalm:

Can someone explain how a tear like that can get a 9.2? I have an ASM 121 that is in that exact same condition but the cover has what appears to be a tape pull not even a piece missing at the top of the book about the same size too..and its graded a 7.5. I guessed 7.5 for the Avengers book.

How the heck was the Peter Parker a 9.8. On the larger scans I see what appear to be several color breaking spine ticks...

So, there was no corner crease, lower right corner, on that PPSS?

Agreed...had that at a 9.8 until I thought I saw the tiny crease at the bottom right corner and dropped it to a 9.4. Looked like it had a single slight spine tick too.

The piece off the corner of the Avengers blew my mind! That should never have gotten out of the 7's.

I'm just impressed with the length of that Scoring List... :applause:

This is by far the largest March Madness tournament I think. Unfortunately, half of the field was just eliminated. :foryou:

How is that first book a 9.2? It's missing an entire corner!

I gave it a 8.0 with that corner chip. I have similar graded books with the exact same defect that are always 8's.

So, there was no corner crease, lower right corner, on that PPSS?

I definitely see it, along with 4 spine dinks w/ minor color break I gave it a 9.4.

The Ink swirls I definitely see, especially on the blacks. But I noticed them on previous books so I attributed this to scanner bed cleanliness on either the top or underside of the glass.

My guesses/notes:

AVE 8.0 Corner Chip

B&B 1.5 Cover looks detached/at least at top staple - *considered CGC stance on tape

PPSM 9.4 Small corner crease w/ color break, minor spine color breaks

XMEN 8.5 Minor spine color break visible on both sides, miniscule blunted corner/chip

I did way better than the seeding round and as a 15 seed I beat a 5 seed. *whew* :takeit:

Large Scans of the playoff book.

Note that the swiggily lines in the black areas is a scanner defect. Those swiggily lines obviously appear in all of the scans.

om4f.jpg

4q8u.jpg

Notes to self:

If a nice looking book has a small color breaking crease at the corner, just tear it off for a higher grade.

Have no qualms about listing raw books as 9.9s in future sales.

You're going down, Warlord!

EDIT: Trash talk is encouraged, isn't it?

Not likely, I'm using my secret weapon -- just submitting grades without even looking at the scans. I figure that's the way CGC does some of these, so it should work well for me! ^^

Smackdown! :acclaim:

7) thunsicker 42

10) Warlord 52

Although I gotta admit, I did peak at the scans. Just a quick glance, with one eye closed. That was almost too much though, so I looked away before thinking about it too much. Whew!