• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 128

322 posts in this topic

Thanks for the insight on the XMEN everyone.

I had a Batman Adventures 12 that came back a 9.2 and I though it was very similar to that Xmen, I'll take a closer look again.

Mr. Moon whats the timeframe look like with regards to next round, etc? Whats the playoff schedule as it were?

I'm bad at this game. but I did win...

Well said and I agree with you rjpb! I personally would never consider that copy of Avengers a 9.2

Question: How many people in the world would pay CGC 9.2 GPA dollars for that book?

Answer: Zero

So it's not a 9.2 by any logical definition.

Mr. Moon whats the timeframe look like with regards to next round, etc? Whats the playoff schedule as it were?

bighairjer sent in a grade for the playoff book. Am waiting for WEBHEAD to read the PM I sent informing him that he's in a playoff.

If anyone has another way of contacting him, let me know.

As soon as the playoff picture is resolved the next four books will be posted.

Well said and I agree with you rjpb! I personally would never consider that copy of Avengers a 9.2

Question: How many people in the world would pay CGC 9.2 GPA dollars for that book?

I think this one threw almost everyone for a loop. I didn't think even with a fold that size it would reach 9.2 much less a missing chunk.

I think this one threw almost everyone for a loop. I didn't think even with a fold that size it would reach 9.2 much less a missing chunk.

Agreed! This book is totally illogical!

I think this one threw almost everyone for a loop.

But that was the point, but it's also what I dislike most about these "contests".

Books chosen especially because they're a big "Tomato Surprise". :boo:

But that was the point, but it's also what I dislike most about these "contests".

That or this!smiley-devil14.gif

But I don't think PPSS is a 9.8 either! I just can't imagine a 9.8 with corners like that! This too is an illogical book IMHO!

No joke, and I remember having a conversation with CGC regarding slightly-soft corners (not as bad as this PPSSM book) on a CGC 9.4 and I was told "you want CGC 9.8 corners", which were expressed as "absolutely sharp" no questions asked.

That or this!smiley-devil14.gif

Yeah, that'll learn 'em for trying to grade!

I still don't understand how they no with absolute certainty that AVE 181 damage was done in production. In those days the comics where sent to the store wrapped with plastic, some one might have cut off the edge by accident. (that's post production)

Or if I was there and I couldn't wait for them to open the wrapped books I could have been pulling on it and torn off a bit of the cover.

I think it would be easier to figure out if a book was pressed then some production flaws.

I still don't understand how they no with absolute certainty that AVE 181 damage was done in production. In those days the comics where sent to the store wrapped with plastic, some one might have cut off the edge by accident. (that's post production)

Or if I was there and I couldn't wait for them to open the wrapped books I could have been pulling on it and torn off a bit of the cover.

I think it would be easier to figure out if a book was pressed then some production flaws.

I'm not saying this is the case, BUT I assume that CGC has a comprehensive 'master list' of known relatively common production errors, that cover specific issues, specific time periods and are based on research, anecdotal evidence, printer information released, and their own experience among other things. Not that this covers every situation, but they have a guide available, as well as their own experiences with 'books from November 1977 Marvel' or whatever.

The comment about a corner crease that big vs a piece missing is telling on the AV 181.

It's true I'd probably grade the book as a 9.0/9.2 at best if it were creased, and yet I know I graded it a 9.0 with the piece missing because I think I understand CGC's stance on production defects. Crazy luck

I'd never sell that book as a 9.0 raw. :sumo:

So without the "master knowledge" of every book CGC deems to have prevalent production issues, you're pretty well screwed going forward.

If that's not Avengers 181, but Avengers 165, with the exact same gaping hole in the cover, then it's a CGC 4-5 by definition.

I just collect comics, I don't follow CGC minutiae.

So without the "master knowledge" of every book CGC deems to have prevalent production issues, you're pretty well screwed going forward.

If that's not Avengers 181, but Avengers 165, with the exact same gaping hole in the cover, then it's a CGC 4-5 by definition.

Maybe, and I'm just saying this, maybe CGC didn't notice the corner was missing! coffeescreen.gif

I looked at a ton go early silver age 1.0s and 1.5s to try and decide what that Brave and the Bold was... and all I'll say is if it's a 1.0, its better than the dozens of 1.0s I looked at this weekend.

I literally had the Avengers and X-men grades flipped. Thought the Avengers was worse (with the missing corner, but ok I guess it's production)

Yes

Me too. I don't collect slabs. I collect comics but I also try to be fully aware of the CGC approach. My 8.5 ASM 20 is a beauty and isn't missing a corner. I was confident it would go 9.0.

You are at the mercy of CGC's carnal knowledge, until you aren't.

Maybe, and I'm just saying this, maybe CGC didn't notice the corner was missing! coffeescreen.gif

While this would be inexcusable, it would at least make more sense. But this "production flaw" issue is one of the biggest gripes I have with CGC. I dont care if its a production flaw or someone took scissors to the book. A defect is a defect, regardless of how it happens. Please be consistent and deduct accordingly. I am willing to bet that if anyone on these boards (and maybe anywhere) purchased this book advertised at a 9.2, there would be a whole other thread created so we could all pile on.