• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

I didn't even get to finish that thread with yet another link.

http://marvel.wikia.com/History_of_the_X-Men_comics

"Wolverine consistently won awards as the most popular comic character, so between 1980 and 1984, at least one issue per year focused on him. In 1982, he was granted a limited series, penned by Claremont and drawn by Frank Miller, introducing the samurai element of his character."

But I thought it would be best to move past that attempted moment of revisionism. :grin:

hm

Huh.

A WIKI...which anyone can edit...is cited as a source.

hm

I wonder which issue from 1980 was "focused on Wolverine." Was it 133, where he appears alone on the cover, but the story is actually about the Hellfire club, and Wolvie only really appears on 8 of the 20 story pages? Is this a "focus"?

Or 1981. I guess "Days of Future Past", which focused on Kitty, was really focused on Wolvie.

hm

I guess #170, which focused on Storm, #186, or #198, which did the same, I guess those don't count. hm

Or #153, which focused on Kitty, along with the aforementioned #141-142.

hm

What about #139, in which Kitty is the central focus of the cover?

Or #151. Or #168.

hm

Interesting, as an aside I note you dodged the biggest part

Wolverine consistently won awards as the most popular comic character

You never did address that "small point."

So you agree or disagree, is this fact?

Since I was the one who posted the CBG poll results in the first place, I'm not quite sure how that can be considered "dodging the biggest part."

hm

"Active in the hobby", which I assume you mean paying close attention to the market, is of much greater value than "I buy a lot, so I know what I'm talking about."

Nice to see you revise.

Not revising at all - I thought that was implied in what I said. Guess I should have remembered how pedantic you can be.

As far as most important, it had been stated that the OA to Hulk #181 was destroyed. If that is NOT the case, then I will revise my statement to the SECOND most important piece of OA, after the cover to #181.

See? New information, minds changed. Easy.

Wow, that's a first. You consistently ignored new information in the Wolverine thread and kept going back to arguments that were comprehensively proven wrong.

In any case, the Hulk #181 OA was not destroyed, and the cover was never part of Len Wein's collection caught in his house fire. And, again, there are other pieces that are more important than the Hulk #181 cover, such as the GSXM 1 cover.

Oh I far prefer the h181 cover. Im sure there are people on both sides of that one but Id take the hulk all day long

I didn't even get to finish that thread with yet another link.

http://marvel.wikia.com/History_of_the_X-Men_comics

"Wolverine consistently won awards as the most popular comic character, so between 1980 and 1984, at least one issue per year focused on him. In 1982, he was granted a limited series, penned by Claremont and drawn by Frank Miller, introducing the samurai element of his character."

But I thought it would be best to move past that attempted moment of revisionism. :grin:

When Did Wolverine Really Become Popular?

Most Significant X-Men

By all means, please take a look people. The evidence speaks for itself. (shrug)

It does indeed.

By the way....the cover to What If #31 made special mention of an appearance by the Uncanny X-Men.

Apparently, somebody thought Wolvie needed a little help to sell the book.

Interesting...according to the Eagle Awards, while Wolverine was ranking among the favourite characters, he was also listed as the favourite supporting character at the same time.

hm

Nevermind finally!! Thank you.

OMG Another RMA debacle? meh

Perspective, Dave. Perspective is paramount.

Well it was worth 2m yesterday but after the singer accusations I expect it to sell for the current bid plus a ham sandwich hm

Oh I far prefer the h181 cover. Im sure there are people on both sides of that one but Id take the hulk all day long

That was a mistype - I meant there are pieces of OA that are more significant than the Hulk #180 page (other than the Hulk #181 cover), including the GSXM 1 cover. Though, the latter is arguably more important than Hulk #181 anyway (that's at least a legitimate debate; GSXM 1 cover vs. the Hulk #180 page is no contest in favor of GSXM 1).

What are your OA credentials, sir? (shrug)

"Well what have you got, sonny boy?"

lol nice meme!

Which one, his, or my lack of one?

;)

I got a kick out Genes because any time the Brulato card is played, I get a nearly incurable case of the jollies.

Just the phrase "sonny boy " gets me going ;)

What are your OA credentials, sir? (shrug)

"Well what have you got, sonny boy?"

lol nice meme!

Which one, his, or my lack of one?

;)

I got a kick out Genes because any time the Brulato card is played, I get a nearly incurable case of the jollies.

Just the phrase "sonny boy " gets me going ;)

It was one of the funnier instances of unbridled hubris on these boards.

:cloud9:

That was a mistype - I meant there are pieces of OA that are more significant than the Hulk #180 page (other than the Hulk #181 cover), including the GSXM 1 cover. Though, the latter is arguably more important than Hulk #181 anyway (that's at least a legitimate debate; GSXM 1 cover vs. the Hulk #180 page is no contest in favor of GSXM 1).

Ok yes I agree.

181 cover > gsx cover > hulk page

I far prefer the h181 opening splash to the 180 page also. The 181 page is burned in my memory the 180 page is just something I flipped past.

Honestly Id prefer the 181 splash to the gsx cover, but I might be alone in that, I dunno

Not to take away from the discussion or argument(s). But considering it's a Wolvering OA thread, I happened upon these old drawings I used to doodle all of the time. This is one I did in 86; I was clearly a fan of Wolverine by then. :cloud9:

ea15w4.jpg

How much?

:roflmao:

It's better if you see a Pollock in person.

The size really adds to the experience.

+1

Here's a picture of me at MoMA back in 2004 in front of a Pollock:

I thought you were about 70 years old. :baiting: