• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

And yet it (IH#180) is still his first appearance.

hm

-slym ( ;) )

.....and the market has long ago decided which "appearance" is the more meaningful (significant) and valuable one. :gossip:

-J.

Comics & OA are completely different animals. The last page of 180 is superior to the 1st page(if it exists) of 181. 2c

hm

-slym ( ;) )

.....and the market has long ago decided which "appearance" is the more meaningful (significant) and valuable one. :gossip:

-J.

Comics & OA are completely different animals. The last page of 180 is superior to the 1st page(if it exists) of 181. 2c

Agree absolutely. As a standalone piece of OA I would take that 180 page any day over any individual page in 181. I don't know if it will break a million or even 500k, but wherever it ends up it will probably cost more than some real estate I've bought lol.

-J.

hm

-slym ( ;) )

-J.

Didn't OSPG and uniformed noobs who liked the cover determine that?

Popular opinion is hardly the arbiter of fact. If that were so Obama would be a Muslim and the earth would have been created in 6 days.

I have little doubt that it will cross $1,000,000. If the cover to Spidey #328 can sell for $600K+

you can't use the outlier of all outliers as a benchmark, sir. No way does it reach 1m.

hm

-slym ( ;) )

-J.

Didn't OSPG and uniformed noobs who liked the cover determine that?

Popular opinion is hardly the arbiter of fact. If that were so Obama would be a Muslim and the earth would have been created in 6 days.

Whether or not you personally agree with it, it is what it is.

-J.

seriously $1 million??!!

that'd be amazing

id say 300-400k

Yes, seriously. It's that important.

If it sells for as little as 300-400k, the buyer will have gotten one hell of a deal, relative to other pieces of OA.

i think a big factor is that the OA for hulk 181 prob does not exist

therefore this could be the very 1st and available Wolvie OA

OA for Hulk 181 ( cover and interior pages) does exist. Len Wein still has the interior pages.

Wouldn't it still be, even if the OA for IH 181 existed?

I have little doubt that it will cross $1,000,000. If the cover to Spidey #328 can sell for $600K+

you can't use the outlier of all outliers as a benchmark, sir. No way does it reach 1m.

Sure you can. In fact, you almost have to.

Once *something* breaks a psychological barrier, it then becomes easier for something else to beat it. It took decades for coins to break $1M. The first one came tantalizingly close in 1989, at $990,000. It took 7 more years, 1996, for it to finally happen.

Since then, in 18 short years, more than 200 different coins have sold for $1M+, some as much as $10,000,000 (1794 Dollar.)

The sale itself was a huge outlier...granted...but the public then forgets that it was a bidding war, and only remembers the price. And then it becomes "well, if such and such sold for $600K, it's not out of the question that this far more important piece would sell for so much more.

It's bound to happen. When Warhols and Pollocks sell for $100M+, 1/100th of that for pop culture icons doesn't seem so out of the question.

I mean, if Jasper Johns works...and he's still alive...can sell for around $100M, it is hardly inconceivable that the most important piece of original art from the last 40 years can break $1M.

It's the original art showing the first appearance of what has become arguably the 4th most popular superhero of all time.

The only thing I could see being more valuable (as it relates to Wolvie) would be the cover to 181.

Once *something* breaks a psychological barrier, it then becomes easier for something else to beat it. It took decades for coins to break $1M. The first one came tantalizingly close in 1989, at $990,000. It took 7 more years, 1996, for it to finally happen.

Since then, in 18 short years, more than 200 different coins have sold for $1M+, some as much as $10,000,000 (1794 Dollar.)

The sale itself was a huge outlier...granted...but the public then forgets that it was a bidding war, and only remembers the price. And then it becomes "well, if such and such sold for $600K, it's not out of the question that this far more important piece would sell for so much more.

It's bound to happen. When Warhols and Pollocks sell for $100M+, 1/100th of that for pop culture icons doesn't seem so out of the question.

I mean, if Jasper Johns works...and he's still alive...can sell for around $100M, it is hardly inconceivable that the most important piece of original art from the last 40 years can break $1M.

It's the original art showing the first appearance of what has become arguably the 4th most popular superhero of all time.

The only thing I could see being more valuable (as it relates to Wolvie) would be the cover to 181.

The best Warhols and Pollocks should be worth more than 100x the best Herb Trimpe.

Jasper Johns may be alive, but he ain't making any more $100 million pieces - that price level is reserved for his most important older works.

This is not the most important piece of OA from the last 40 years. The Hulk #181 cover probably exists and the GSXM #1 cover definitely exists. I'm sure others would rate various covers (e.g., DKR #1, etc.) above this panel page as well.

The public story behind the ASM #328 cover was all kabuki theater. If you knew the real story behind it, you'd readily acknowledge that extenuating circumstances trump any psychological price barrier that was broken. OA guys know this was a total outlier event and treat it as such.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for this piece to surpass $1 million, but it's a very small probability (like a 50-1 shot at best). No one who knows the OA market can state with any authority that there is "little doubt" it will hit that level, while "transitive property" arguments (e.g., "The ASM #328 cover sold for $657K, this page is better, so it must be worth a million!") are often flawed and empirically wrong because of shakiness in one or more parts of the syllogism - it would be utterly naive to base an argument around one grounded in a total outlier.

The best Warhols and Pollocks should be worth more than 100x the best Herb Trimpe.

The value of the piece has little to do with Herb Trimpe. The value of this piece is because of Wolverine, just as the value of Warhols is because they are Warhols.

Jasper Johns may be alive, but he ain't making any more $100 million pieces - that price level is reserved for his most important older works.

Um. Ok. Not relevant, but whatever.

This is not the most important piece of OA from the last 40 years.

Yeah, it really is. It is the first depiction of arguably the 4th most popular superhero in the world.

We'll see where it ends up.

This is not the most important piece of OA from the last 40 years. The Hulk #181 cover probably exists and the GSXM #1 cover definitely exists. I'm sure others would rate various covers (e.g., DKR #1, etc.) above this panel page as well.

The public story behind the ASM #328 cover was all kabuki theater. If you knew the real story behind it, you'd readily acknowledge that extenuating circumstances trump any psychological price barrier that was broken. OA guys know this was a total outlier event and treat it as such.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for this piece to surpass $1 million, but it's a very small probability (like a 50-1 shot at best). No one who knows the OA market can state with any authority that there is "little doubt" it will hit that level, while "transitive property" arguments (e.g., "The ASM #328 cover sold for $657K, this page is better, so it must be worth a million!") are often flawed and empirically wrong because of shakiness in one or more parts of the syllogism - it would be utterly naive to base an argument around one grounded in a total outlier.

I'd love to hear that story. Is it ever getting out?

Exactly. In a world without Hulk 181, even the measly cameo is King.

OA for Hulk 181 ( cover and interior pages) does exist. Len Wein still has the interior pages.

(shrug)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3079539&fpart=1

The 181 cover would certainly go for more (it's a cover after all).

I think a closer comparison would be this page or the 181 title splash. This page is, of course, the first appearance but it's a panel page. 181 is universally recognized as the more important book.

162944358_6775f40a3c_o.jpg