• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Thread Has Two Questions

68 posts in this topic

"this is one of the most important story arcs in the history of comics,"
Huh, that's actually the story that made me quit reading comics for 20 years, and quit Marvel and DC superhero comics forever.

It was important in a few ways, one of which is that many people stopped reading. . .

I'd say the death of Gwen, like others have said.

I'm not really embarrassed, but I enjoyed Birds of Prey.

"this is one of the most important story arcs in the history of comics,"
Huh, that's actually the story that made me quit reading comics for 20 years, and quit Marvel and DC superhero comics forever.

If the epic death of Gwen Stacy made you quit reading comics you have no business reading comics. :baiting:

Has she come back with a kick mullet yet?

Most important arc: Coming of Galactus and Silver Surfer

Second most: Death of Gwen Stacey

Embarrassed to like: Hmm... not really embarrassed to like anything I enjoy... I probably find the early Cherry's to be more humurously entertaining than most people... that might be a bit embarrassing...

Not to start a "what I like is better than what you like" but Im confused by all the answers of Death of Gwen Stacy. It didn't really effect anyone but Spider-man. It didn't have any other major story arch's based off it and it didn't have any far reaching implications on the rest of the Marvel universe. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

I'd have to go with the Phoenix Saga for Marvel and Crisis on Infinite Earths for DC. Think about the reach both those arch's have had on their respective universes, how many other major stories they lead to. I'm not saying all those subsequent stories were good mind you, one of them lead us to this god awful New 52. just that there are a lot based off things from those two stories. When you think about it Jean Grey and Barry Allen are two of the most important people in their universe.

As for the embarrassing, going the opposite end of the spectrum from others so far. Anyone remember Glenn Danzig's adult company Verotik. Maybe cause I was in the height of my randy college years but I loved a lot of that stuff, some of it was just disturbing though.

Most important arc: Coming of Galactus and Silver Surfer

Second most: Death of Gwen Stacey

Embarrassed to like: Hmm... not really embarrassed to like anything I enjoy... I probably find the early Cherry's to be more humurously entertaining than most people... that might be a bit embarrassing...

Ah, okay, thanks for reminding me. My complete runs of Cherry and Omaha are not the first things I'd show someone when displaying my collection lol

Not to start a "what I like is better than what you like" but Im confused by all the answers of Death of Gwen Stacy. It didn't really effect anyone but Spider-man. It didn't have any other major story arch's based off it and it didn't have any far reaching implications on the rest of the Marvel universe. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

I'd have to go with the Phoenix Saga for Marvel and Crisis on Infinite Earths for DC. Think about the reach both those arch's have had on their respective universes, how many other major stories they lead to. I'm not saying all those subsequent stories were good mind you, one of them lead us to this god awful New 52. just that there are a lot based off things from those two stories. When you think about it Jean Grey and Barry Allen are two of the most important people in their universe.

As for the embarrassing, going the opposite end of the spectrum from others so far. Anyone remember Glenn Danzig's adult company Verotik. Maybe cause I was in the height of my randy college years but I loved a lot of that stuff, some of it was just disturbing though.

It affected a large portion of the comic reading audience, is why. I think it was the first time a superhero's girlfriend/major character died. This was staggering at the time. Gwen had been built up as a character from Ditko days, thru Romita and beyond. To kill her off was so unexpected. And it sealed the Green Goblin as Spiderman's major enemy for all time. And it was quickly followed by the Goblin's death so there was that. Infinity gauntlet or what have you was just another big battle in a procession of such.

Technically though she should not have died. Falling head first, and suddenly halted in your fall, does not cause the head to snap back, but rather forward, which is harmless.....

Most important for me: tough one but I think the Green Lantern/Arrow O'Neill Adams run - the first real time serious issues were tackled in a mature way (for me)

Guilty pleasure: New Universe especially star Brand and Justice.

i cant understand why someone would be embarrassed about reading a book they liked? So what if every other elitist fanboy thinks its . Read whatever interests you.

soooo my story arc for me would be Executioners Song. I loved Stryfe and the intro to the legacy virus did alot in the mutie books.

my not embarrassed early 90s love was X Force.

Hey Ryan :hi:

For me its Crisis on Infinite Earths from DC & Fantastic Four 48-50 Galactus/Surfer from Marvel.

You know me, I collect all comics even these, kinda embarrassing, but I would hate someone to ask me about a book and I couldnt say, "Yeah, got it" now that would be embarrasing :blush:

th_Barbie1.jpgth_RegisteredNurse12.jpgth_HomertheHappyGhost1.jpg th_PetertheLittlePest1.jpg

and so on.

I hope you get your Dad to read that Superman trade :cloud9:

Most important to me is bruce jones' return of the monster. Probably alone on that one but it got me back into comics and was basically the very beginning of what would later turn into planet/wwhulk

Im not embarrassed by much, im always the first one to get naked at a party. No comic could do it, but i get some strange looks asking for Star comics. :)

1) Being a Spidey fan, I'd have to say the Death of Gwen Stacy.

2) Can't really answer because I've only really been into comics for a year and a half now.

You can say it-it's Youngblood isn't it?

I've honestly never read or bought Youngblood lol