• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2021 at 4:07 AM, Primetime said:

Yes it is. Let’s celebrate by looking at the interiors of my raw copy more closely this week (thumbsu 

Starting with the splash 💦 page 📄  I always liked the policeman colored in orange for contrast. I’m sure kids at that time thought it was a printing mistake 😂 

86370431-4B7D-48D6-9871-15EDCF0285EC.jpeg

Reed Richards was NYC's #1 air polluter back then.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:16 PM, da.amazing.spiderman said:

Just happy that I never sold my Fantastic Four #1 during the depressing Fox years.

It was frustrating to see the FF handled so poorly for so long. On the bright side, it gave so many of us a chance to pick up the book while the prices were relatively low. 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, CycleGirl said:

It was frustrating to see the FF handled so poorly for so long. On the bright side, it gave so many of us a chance to pick up the book while the prices were relatively low. 

I thought it was undervalued for a good bit. Not to say it was super cheap, but a decent copy could be had for under $10K for quite awhile.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:40 PM, CycleGirl said:

You know, at the time I didn't hate those two (original) FF movies.  After all, we can't judge them by today's standards, in terms of either the available visual effects or the lack of "universe-building" that the MCU is now known for.  I think they were reasonably well-received at the time, at least the first one.  Even the second one wasn't completely awful.

I never saw the Miles Teller version because I heard such terrible things.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I only watched part of it on Disney+, using fast-forward the whole time, and could tell it exceeded all the negative feedback I had heard.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You know, at the time I didn't hate those two (original) FF movies.  After all, we can't judge them by today's standards, in terms of either the available visual effects or the lack of "universe-building" that the MCU is now known for.  I think they were reasonably well-received at the time, at least the first one.  Even the second one wasn't completely awful.

The first half of the Miles Teller version I thought was excellent.  It's like a different movie after that.  I think the movie got a bad rap overall

On 8/5/2021 at 1:40 AM, HighVoltage said:

Ben sure was destructive just trying to get from point A to point B…!

Imagine looking thru every issue of FF and keeping a tally of the damage Ben did (just in New York City).

Can you imagine the cost of repair?

But....... he has saved humanity's bacon a few times so I guess it's worth it.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:43 AM, gadzukes said:

Imagine looking thru every issue of FF and keeping a tally of the damage Ben did (just in New York City).

Can you imagine the cost of repair?

But....... he has saved humanity's bacon a few times so I guess it's worth it.

Oh, I know!!!

He's like a walking national debt!

But the Hulk is the one who truly has destroyed like every state and country.
Poor Bruce Banner would have so many lawsuits lined up against him.

I always thought how wealthy some of our heroes could make themselves if they hired themselves out
for stuff like demolition or building things (Hulk/Thing).
But someone like Storm, who can control the freaking weather(!), would be a trillionaire!

On 8/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, Primetime said:

Continuing our 60th year celebration of FF1….what a monster Kirby drew in the Thing! 

2E460BB2-E95B-458F-9385-0394ED8A755B.jpeg

I love the way that the Thing and the Torch are depicted in FF 1 and FF2.  I wished that they'd left them like this instead of modifying them the way that they did...