• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 9:28 PM, Blue_Bolt said:

Looks like a conserved 6.5 sold recently on ebay, pretty nice price IMO.  Too bad it was purchased by a flipper and not a collector. Oh well. Expect to see it relisted soon at 30K.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185007881624?hash=item2b13543d98%3Ag%3A~fQAAOSwsRRg9vXU&LH_Auction=1

How do you know it was purchased by a flipper?

So there are less total copies of FF1 blue labels in the census than Hulk 1 or Amazing Fantasy 15 yet it seems to pop up for sale/auction 3x as often.  Has that typically been the case (in the past 10-20 years).  I assume this has already been discussed numerous times, sorry in advance for retreading water.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:30 PM, Blue_Bolt said:

So there are less total copies of FF1 blue labels in the census than Hulk 1

Boo boo alert.  Total blue FF1 = 1729, and for IH1 it's 1306.  It's 2219 for AF15.   GPA actually shows that AF15 had  more sales than FF1 in the mid and lower grades.   IH1 has the fewest sales of all three in lower, mid, and higher grades.   Maybe it seemed like FF1 came up for sale more often the past year because of FF's imminent appearance in MCU and the attention that is causing?   While there's always a buzz around  AF15, ironically that could cause sales-watch fatigue and cause sales to go unnoticed at times.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/31/2021 at 3:32 PM, Pantodude said:

Boo boo alert.  Total blue FF1 = 1729, and for IH1 it's 1306.  It's 2219 for AF15.   GPA actually shows that AF15 had  more sales than FF1 in the mid and lower grades.   IH1 has the fewest sales of all three in lower, mid, and higher grades.   Maybe it seemed like FF1 came up for sale more often the past year because of FF's imminent appearance in MCU and the attention that is causing?   While there's always a buzz around  AF15, ironically that could cause sales-watch fatigue and cause sales to go unnoticed at times.  

Panto, since you brought up some census data it got me curious to review the census for ALL the early Marvel Keys including FF 4 & 5

Current Marvel - Blue + SS Census for "early" mega Keys (rarest to most common) (as of SEPT 1 2021)

Sgt Fury 1 = ...... 906

TTA 27 =............ 936

FF 4 =.................1295

HULK 1 =........... 1437

FF 5 =..................1613

JIM 83 =............. 1719

ST 110 =.............1821

FF 1 =.................1924

TOS 39 =............ 2031

AF 15 =...............2517

ASM 1 =..............3331

AVEN 4 =.............3803

AVEN 1 =............3857

XMen 1 =............4497

DD 1 =................4700

I wonder how much these numbers are skewed by CPR?

Edited by gadzukes

On 9/1/2021 at 11:07 AM, gadzukes said:

Panto, since you brought up some census data it got me curious to review the census for ALL the early Marvel Keys including FF 4 & 5

Current Marvel - Blue + SS Census for "early" mega Keys (rarest to most common) (as of SEPT 1 2021)

Sgt Fury 1 = ...... 906

TTA 27 =............ 936

FF 4 =.................1295

HULK 1 =........... 1437

FF 5 =..................1613

JIM 83 =............. 1719

ST 110 =.............1821

FF 1 =.................1924

TOS 39 =............ 2031

AF 15 =...............2517

ASM 1 =..............3331

AVEN 4 =.............3803

AVEN 1 =............3857

XMen 1 =............4497

DD 1 =................4700

I wonder how much these numbers are skewed by CPR?

Right, if you are referring to the census's erroneous inclusion of Cert#s that sould have been canceled for those books that were resubmitted, I too wonder about the extent of any such over-reporting.  But b/c all these census figures are still pretty low considering the popularity of these books, don't know how significant any potential skewing could even be.  Hopefully that's what you meant.  If so, and if CGC scans each graded book (don't know if has been doing this by default, but if not, it could certainly start), presumably AI (now or in the near future) should be able to flag potential dupes so CGC could at least investigate whether an old Cert# should be canceled.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/2/2021 at 8:36 AM, KCOComics said:

That's a nice looking low grade copy!  I have such an appreciation for these well loved comics! 

Congrats on rejoining the club! 

Thanks! It's actually the first copy I've owned from over 25 years ago! The buy-back rate was quite high, but I'm happy to have it back!  (thumbsu

On 8/31/2021 at 11:30 AM, Blue_Bolt said:

So there are less total copies of FF1 blue labels in the census than Hulk 1 or Amazing Fantasy 15 yet it seems to pop up for sale/auction 3x as often.  Has that typically been the case (in the past 10-20 years).  I assume this has already been discussed numerous times, sorry in advance for retreading water.

The big books like an FF 1 do ebb and flow in cycles of availability.

When I got my copy back in about 2010/2011, there were not a ton of FF 1s  on the market - really in all grades. The book was somewhat ‘cold,’ as it wasn’t in the Marvel MCU. 

It seems like Hulk 1 was on fire at around that time.

I have definitely seen a lot more FF 1s pop up in the past 3-4 years.