• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch opps that take to long...

105 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the art game here. But seeing quite a few of these nightmare opps posted publicly as well as hearing about private ones will only keep people away. I've signed up for a few opps this year so far and everything with them seems to be going fine. But I definitely pay attention to the artists and facilitators past actions in previous opps before deciding to join one.

Its sad that it's a risky endeavor to request a service and pay for it and hope that one day you may receive your request. I think the people at fault should be held accountable and called out. You don't deserve to have a shiny reputation if in reality is BS.

Its sad that it's a risky endeavor to request a service and pay for it and hope that one day you may receive your request. I think the people at fault should be held accountable and called out. You don't deserve to have a shiny reputation if in reality is BS.

Absolutely true! I've got about $4,000 tied up in sketch cover ops that are grossly overdue. They range from completed covers that I can't get my hands on to ops where the artist has never put pencil or pen to paper. All are fully paid for ops. I also have a couple of ops where the progress of work is slow but steady with good communication. These ops I consider to be on track and I have no problem with them. The ops where 6 months go by with zero communication and no progress really make me feel like I've been taken advantage of. Those facilitators know exactly who they are.

Definitely think that artist and facilitators should be outed. I know that there are things outside of the facilitator's control. I just did an op that took 9 months but I was in constant contact with those involved. If the facilitator has not kept those involved updated on a regular basis then out them.

If anyone has an issue with my opps please contact me, no innuendos or things of that nature

Refunded in full a sketch opp from an artist in 2011

In the process of refunding Dave a sketch opp that took too long with no updates from the rep/artist. Since there are many opps/facilitators it would be good to list the opp/facilitator instead of saying you will out them

Harvey, ed, michael, gab, mico, chris stevens, ryan, herb, huebert, leinil, ethan, dexter soy, gerald parel,crain, dodson, trimpe, etc. All the clients have recieved or are in the process of recieving their books. Having stalls with sinnott and mattina, have offered refunds or new opps to those with issues. So if there is an issue please come out and say so and I can do my best to resolve it. Only speaking for myself, nothing to hide :)

If anyone has an issue with my opps please contact me, no innuendos or things of that nature

In the process of refunding Dave a sketch opp that took too long with no updates from the rep/artist. Since there are many opps/facilitators it would be good to list the opp/facilitator instead of saying you will out them

Harvey, ed, michael, gab, mico, chris stevens, ryan, herb, huebert, leinil, ethan, dexter soy, gerald parel,crain, dodson, trimpe, etc. All the clients have recieved or are in the process of recieving their books. Having stalls with sinnott and mattina, have offered refunds or new opps to those with issues. So if there is an issue please come out and say so and I can do my best to resolve it. Only speaking for myself, nothing to hide :)

I'm not saying that disgruntled customers should just out people for whatever right off the bat. Definitely try and work things out with the facilitators first. Open communication is key and as long as I'm in the loop with how my things are, I'm pretty happy. But if these lines of communication break down and you're sitting around for extremely long times with no contact then the public deserves to know.

Mike is 100% correct about this. I was involved in his Mattina op that has not gone according to plan. However, Mike has been in constant communication with me regarding it. So I do not consider this to be one of my problem ops. The problems revolve around the ops with communication that only occurs with prodding after long periods of no activity. Or ops where we are told that books are already at CGC to discover 6 months later that there were never shipped. Stuff like that.

There is serious $$ involved here and the facilitators have a fiduciary responsibility once I've sent them my cash. In my book, Mike has proven to be responsible with my money and I would put him on my list of facilitators I would deal with in the future. There are others that I will avoid from here on out.

Thank you Dave, and just wanted to reiterate I appreciate your patience with my handling of it.. I know it's your money and you have every right to ask for updates and/or refunds. Thanks for sticking it through with me :foryou:

I've been in an opp with an artist that the OP is facilitating. I know the OP and trust him 100%; he updates me about this opp and I know he's doing his best to take care of things on his end. Plus the OP is one of the "super-collectors" here on the boards so whenever I get in one of his opps I always get a keeper! (worship)

4 years is too long. i would call them out and see if you get any progress that way. at the very least you signal to others who to avoid so that they dont get into the same trap that you are in.

i've had to do that with some artists and its the only way that i was able to get refunds.

Absolutely true! I've got about $4,000 tied up in sketch cover ops that are grossly overdue. They range from completed covers that I can't get my hands on to ops where the artist has never put pencil or pen to paper. All are fully paid for ops. I also have a couple of ops where the progress of work is slow but steady with good communication. These ops I consider to be on track and I have no problem with them. The ops where 6 months go by with zero communication and no progress really make me feel like I've been taken advantage of. Those facilitators know exactly who they are.

(thumbs u good communication is the key and feel bad to chase and ask status update constantly for overdue opp....

(thumbs u 100% trust!

If the artist in question is the same guy that I'm thinking of, I know I was soured on this guy at NYCC last October when I put the money requested for signatures into his Heroes Initiative cup, and he promptly took it out and pocketed the money, saying that was for HIM, not them.

So now we have a Hero Initiative cup scavenger? That's pretty low in my book.

Why not just have his own sign with autograph prices?

(thumbs u 100% trust!

x2

(thumbs u 100% trust!

x2

This goes without saying.

Im now at 5 years with the same artist Fred. I am hoping to get him to refund me at FSC in July.

What REALLY bothers me are artist blatantly lying. One artist in particular has been stating that they will ship me back my sketched blanks and then send me my refund. Still waiting on a refund a year and a half after that promise.

HOWEVER

I have one artist that just finished a private opp (one that Fred, Adonis, Mad-Dogz are in) that took 3 years. This artist however was in constant contact with me and responded to every email within 48 hours. He was also an international artist who I had personally met and trusted who I knew was busy with published work.

Basically every public opp I run from now on will be with artists that I have personally MET and/or have run a private opp with and have maintained a reasonable amount of communication with.

I will be happy to share through a PM any details about artists that I would not give a red cent to.

I believe I'm at 5 years now with the same guy too. That's the one that taught me a valuable lesson about commissioning art and paying up front with someone that I don't have history and trust with. It's also one of the reasons that I like dealing with a good facilitator on the boards that I trust and why even though I'm in the Mattina opp that Mike was describing I'm fine with it as I have faith in him (and frankly the other facilitators that have posted in this thread as well) :foryou:

I'm still of two questions here:

1) Have any of you guys who have been taken by the same artist considered a lawyer letter or any legal action

2) Have you contacted the artist rep? I know who the artist in question is, and I (think) he's rep'd by Spencer Beck. I may be mistaken, but there must be some sort of steps that can be taken to get your money back asap. I can't believe that the rep for said artist would want it out there that his client is ripping people off.

FYI, I've seen this artist at several shows, including DC, and he really doesn't look all that busy. He could be knocking your stuff out at these shows while he's sitting there twiddling his thumbs.

No lawyers on my end.... I've counted it as a loss. I think I have 1 person from the op to make it right. Everyone else I have personally refunded.. I don't really want to make a big deal about it, but i get upset when I see pics of him stating that he is open for commissions.... So far As of earlier today I did get a little feedback from the artist with a small refund.

I didn't go through spencer. This was direct. With a specified due date.. Spencer had nothing to do with this.. Spencer beck is legit