• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch opps that take to long...

105 posts in this topic

How long is to long? What do you do when an artist drags you along? What do you do when an artist ignores your emails? What do you do when the artist deletes you from Facebook? What do you do when the artist won't friend you back on Facebook but still tells you he will refund? How long do you wait for this refund? What do you do when you see the artist that owes you taking other commissions?

I'm sure everyone knows who I'm talking about, but I'm not sure if I should out him so others know not to deal with this artist.

How long is too long depends partly on your level of patience and also the agreed terms, if any, when you negotiated the commission with the artist.

I know some facilitators find that the artists work better and are more accountable when they are paid say half up front and the rest when the commission is completed.

Yup. Regretfully Paid in full.... I did a private opp with the artist and he popped them out within a couple weeks. So I figured he would keep up with that pace. Did a public opp and it's been a nightmare! I'm just glad everyone that is/was part of the opp has been understanding.

I think that it needs to become common practice for the person running the opp on the boards to pay half up front and the other half when book totals are confirmed at CGC. Something needs to be done to protect the opp. If an artist won't agree to terms like this or similar, then find someone else.

4 years is crazy. I have avoided getting sketches at a couple of shows from an artist because of them being tied to an opp that is overdue IMO. I saw one artist that had an opp that was overdue at a con and he wasn't doing anything but standing around. So I thought he should have been sketching for the opp instead of wasting time away.

Maybe we should start a list of opps that are on going and up date the list with when it started so the community can check it and see how long it has been for themselves. Just like the thread of finding your favorite creator.

I'm pretty selective with opps. Doing one for Art Adams that I hope pans out well. Did one with Zeck and that went off beautifully.

Part of the problem is biting more off than they can chew. Another problem is how they operate. Some artists are quicker than others. Sometimes life gets in the way (losing a house, loved one, hand injury). What usually helps is scheduling a person pick up for a piece at a con they're attending. This ensures (although doesn't guarantee) that they have a deadline that must be met in order to hand the piece over to you.

Frankly I would out him. He's already trying to censor you by deleting information that can trace YOU to HIM. That's messed up. If he were a pro, he'd just return the money to you. But seeing as how this person is exhibiting unprofessional behavior, you have every right to fight back. You can always tell your story to Bleeding Cool. You'd be amazed how people suddenly behave after a little embarrasment.

I have to say that it is just to common from what we have all seen on here about some artists. I understand things taking some time. I understand life happens with the case of say Nick Bradshaw and his fathers health. For me when I saw that I thought only that I hope his father gets better and not for my commission. But I don't understand the huge delays or need to have full funding up front.

Funds should always be held at ransom from artists that don't have the reputation to crank out work on the spot. If they are worried about receiving funds afterwards they should use a third party to do the exchange like in the case of facilitators here on the boards.

I currently only want artists for opps that are willing to do the 50/50 at a minimum for funds just to ensure an opp goes well and both the artist and the facilitators reputation stay in tact.

On the other hand I do know of a few situations that it isn't the artist that we should be pointing the finger at but the facilitator. In that case probation isn't something that helps any of us. Maybe suspension from being able to act as a facilitator or witness should then be invoked for a time even after the opp is finally completed.

But yeah four years is way to long in my book. Must be a Kirby commission...

In what situation should you be pointing the finger at the facilitator? Please elaborate thank you
it can definitely be the facilitators fault. Take Jake and Angel Medina. Medina had been done for some time and could not get a response from Jake. No one knew this until someone in the op went to the artist directly.

I'm relatively new to the sketch scene. Although I think 50/50 payment on sketch opps would be

a great idea for those artists/facilitators that haven't built a reputation for being reliable.

I'm currently waiting for an 11x17 piece from an artist that's going on 9 months (with little to no communication from the facilitator)

But yeah 4 years is absolutely ridiculous. And to be honest I probably would've outed him out after the 1st year.

I for one would definitely want to know who the artist is, as to avoid what you've had to go through.

[font:Book Antiqua]

One of the problems

when you finally get the piece

is that let you with a bitter/ sweet flavour.

Every time you look at it remind you of all the problems.

I have a couple of books that remind me of sour transactions

I barely look at them...[/font]

:(

In what situation should you be pointing the finger at the facilitator? Please elaborate thank you
it can definitely be the facilitators fault. Take Jake and Angel Medina. Medina had been done for some time and could not get a response from Jake. No one knew this until someone in the op went to the artist directly.

Understood, thank you

When doing something in an OP it is generally out of my control so when problems arise there is not much that can be done. I have a list of artists that will not get my future commission money due to their past actions though.

If the commission is done through a rep or one on one I make sure the terms are set before anything moves forward. I never fully pay in advance and if they go beyond the expected time I begin to nudge them back on course until I finally call my CC company and file claim. I used to not due this but it seems over the last two years (and especially this last summer) more commissions have been drawn out or delayed than anytime I can remember.

I have always been bias that artists (especially online entities) are some of the most flakey procrastinators of any profession. Often times they make excuses instead of just making art which gives the entire community a bad name. I hate to say it but every time I hear that an artist is "sick" has an unverifiable "death in the family" or "will mail it out next week"; I believe them as a whole less and less until it gets to the point where I just want them to stop lying and just tell me they no longer want to finish the commission but want to keep my money.

Im now at 5 years with the same artist Fred. I am hoping to get him to refund me at FSC in July.

What REALLY bothers me are artist blatantly lying. One artist in particular has been stating that they will ship me back my sketched blanks and then send me my refund. Still waiting on a refund a year and a half after that promise.

HOWEVER

I have one artist that just finished a private opp (one that Fred, Adonis, Mad-Dogz are in) that took 3 years. This artist however was in constant contact with me and responded to every email within 48 hours. He was also an international artist who I had personally met and trusted who I knew was busy with published work.

Basically every public opp I run from now on will be with artists that I have personally MET and/or have run a private opp with and have maintained a reasonable amount of communication with.

I will be happy to share through a PM any details about artists that I would not give a red cent to.

Understood, thank you

Yep, that was the exact example that popped into my head. Obviously something went way wrong with that one and I am more inclined to say the facilitator screwed the pooch on that one. I understand these take time but that opp went way wrong and it seems the facilitator has gone more into hibernation than actually become responsible for any mistakes. I have no dog in the fight but when you have others that were in on the opp doing the leg work and going to a FCBD event with the artist to get some resolve instead of the facilitator I then shift the blame from 50/50 to 100% the facilitators fault.

How long is to long? What do you do when an artist drags you along? What do you do when an artist ignores your emails? What do you do when the artist deletes you from Facebook? What do you do when the artist won't friend you back on Facebook but still tells you he will refund? How long do you wait for this refund? What do you do when you see the artist that owes you taking other commissions?

I'm sure everyone knows who I'm talking about, but I'm not sure if I should out him so others know not to deal with this artist.

This is a simple answer. And Fred, as your friend, I feel for you because I've heard the horror stories.

Get a lawyer letter. There's several legal eagles on the message boards that I am sure would be happy to help you out.

Once you get legal on them (and I'm betting they've all had plenty of time to spend the money you paid up front), I'm betting it's a matter of just a few days before the job is complete.

Also, maybe a letter to whomever their art rep is too. I'm betting that couldn't hurt.

If the artist in question is the same guy that I'm thinking of, I know I was soured on this guy at NYCC last October when I put the money requested for signatures into his Heroes Initiative cup, and he promptly took it out and pocketed the money, saying that was for HIM, not them.