• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch opps that take to long...

105 posts in this topic

I saw another forum yesterday similar to ours that keep a running list of artists in a stickied thread. People were able to rate the artist and let the others know how the Op went.

I do not see why everyone here is not wanting to name names. It would be to everyone's benefit and I do not see any harm in it.

Discuss....... :gossip::popcorn:

I say out the artist who can't do commission on a timetable that they themselves dictate. I know life happens but it also goes on. They have no problem taking your money upfront so they should have no problem doing their job.

Out them all for the interest of preserving the money, time and sanity of fans who commission from artists who turn out to be complete slackers. Why subject someone else to the same pitfall you experienced? At the end of the day, they need us to buy their comics, prints, sketchbooks and commissions. If they can't perform in a timely fashion, don't be in the business.

Some artists know they're slow so they warn fans in advanced when it comes to commissions. I appreciate that. I hate when they take a commission and they drag the commission out like some hit-and-run driver who still has the victim under his car. It's messed up and eats away at your admiration for their work.

I understand not wanting to scare away other talent and that people sometimes need to demonstrate patience on all sides. But we also don't want another AC moment. There needs to be some form of accountability. Customers are held accountable by not receiving their product without paying. But if the artists can skate by while not providing then thats a problem as well. There's not much people like us can do except give a scathing review.

I understand not wanting to scare away other talent and that people sometimes need to demonstrate patience on all sides. But we also don't want another AC moment. There needs to be some form of accountability. Customers are held accountable by not receiving their product without paying. But if the artists can skate by while not providing then thats a problem as well. There's not much people like us can do except give a scathing review.

I agree.

Maybe it's a good idea to scare away potential artists who can't conduct good business. Less headaches means more money spent on artists who will finish. If the CGC board can become a great resource on who's worth the price and who's not, then it might also benefit those who work hard to fulfill their commissions. Setting standards and holding people accountable -- in a professional manner -- is good for the buyer and seller.

I agree.

Maybe it's a good idea to scare away potential artists who can't conduct good business. Less headaches means more money spent on artists who will finish. If the CGC board can become a great resource on who's worth the price and who's not, then it might also benefit those who work hard to fulfill their commissions. Setting standards and holding people accountable -- in a professional manner -- is good for the buyer and seller.

Agreed!

I agree.

Agreed!

X2

This is a real problem in this community. No one wants to publicly out artists who cannot conduct business in a practical manner and time frame. And if they have worked for any of the major comic companies, they know what a deadline is! They are praying on your appreciation of their work. How could you still be a fan and truly appreciate a piece after you've been stiffed for five years? It would make me sick to my stomach every time I looked at it. By being ambiguous about these things you're only setting up your fellow collectors for identical treatment and I'm sorry to say, you're probably getting what you deserve. 2c

I agree.

Agreed!

x3!

nothing yet. he has promised me a refund. but has only refunded 20% as of april this year.

for the people that dont know who the artist is... its JOE RUBINSTEIN... proceed with caution.

nothing yet. he has promised me a refund. but has only refunded 20% as of april this year.

for the people that dont know who the artist is... its JOE RUBINSTEIN... proceed with caution.

Funny how this was the first thing mentioned in Rubinsteins new opp. But +1 to a list. And maybe some detail about what the artists transgression(s) are to help inform the customers decision.

I hate to be the wet blanket, but CGC, the SS program and the Sig Room are riding a very tight line on the issue of "the list."

None of the above are going to want to have negative energy thrown at the program, regardless of how accurate the information is.

In fact, all opps should go onto the list with the start date and estimated/agreed upon deadline. When the opp is completed then remove it from on going list to completed list with start and finish dates for all to see.

Great idea that should be implemented, but you shouldn't in other people's threads plain and simple like you did today. Not the OP's fault at all.

Sean - I get that CGC doesn't want us to bash or be perceived to condone bashing of artists. But then problems just come up individually in threads like today with Rubinsteins. So the negativity is still there. I wonder if anyone in the SS or at CGC has a good solution for this.

In fact, all opps should go onto the list with the start date and estimated/agreed upon deadline. When the opp is completed then remove it from on going list to completed list with start and finish dates for all to see.

Great idea that should be implemented, but you shouldn't in other people's threads plain and simple like you did today. Not the OP's fault at all.

I'm not sure I agree completely. On the one hand, you're right that the facilitator probably shouldn't be punished. On the other hand, I would be super mad that the artist is taking on new commissions without having finished mine or given my money back, coupled with me wanting to warn other boardies paying for an opp that the artist in question previously did not finish an opp (and might have stolen some moneys). AND bringing public light and affecting the artists bottom line might be the only way to get my issue resolved (if I had an issue), as clearly nothing else has worked.

If I were a potential buyer, I'd want to know. Honestly, if I were a facilitator (or CGC), I'd get more details and likely cancel the opp. My reputation as a facilitator and the reputation of CGC SS sketch opps wouldn't be worth tarnishing over maybe $20-$25 per sketch for facilitator and maybe $30 per for CGC? So $200 or $300 is not worth it to me (facilitator or CGC) to deal with these potential issues. But maybe I just have a weaker stomach for hassle.