• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

There are several errors in this post.

I never proclaimed, nor do I pretend to be perfect. (thumbs u

Plenty of facts In there too.

I think there is about 100k more out there than you do. Ill be nice, lets go over it.

I am sure this will be the end of it too.

I am really interested in this particular topic.

I think some of what I said does have merit, but I can be wrong too. There is a lot of guesswork with not much real proof here. I simply think assuming 361 was printed nearly the same as 358-360 is flawed is all.

I also think not factoring a lower return on the newsstand due to a sellout at the retailer level is a huge flaw as well. Just me personally, I went around to about 20 convenience stores and bookstores around my town to buy what they had. A few days later a friend of mine told me he did the same thing and we laughed as we tried to figure out who beat who to which store, and which ones were already sold out. There is about 50 less returns from Killeen, Texas alone. That's one small city. It adds up fast.

I am sure this will be the end of it too.

I am really interested in this particular topic.

I think some of what I said does have merit, but I can be wrong too. There is a lot of guesswork with not much real proof here. I simply think assuming 361 was printed nearly the same as 358-360 is flawed is all.

I also think not factoring a lower return on the newsstand due to a sellout at the retailer level is a huge flaw as well. Just me personally, I went around to about 20 convenience stores and bookstores around my town to buy what they had. A few days later a friend of mine told me he did the same thing and we laughed as we tried to figure out who beat who to which store, and which ones were already sold out. There is about 50 less returns from Killeen, Texas alone. That's one small city. It adds up fast.

About 50 less newsstand copies got returned from Calgary, as well. lol

Then why bother to counter someone's argument, if you're not going to make sure your counterargument is completely sound and airtight?

:shrug:

Plenty of facts In there too.

I think there is about 100k more out there than you do. Ill be nice, lets go over it.

Nothing to go over. I already laid out my case. You disagreed with it, but in the process, made several errors...the most serious one being foundational to the entire discussion: that Spidey #361 didn't take people by surprise. The very fact that there was an immediate second printing of the book unequivocally says otherwise. The book sold out at the distribution level quickly enough that Marvel ordered an immediate second printing...and then, the NEXT issue was ALSO second printed. That is the very definition of "taking the buying public by surprise."

And there are other errors which have almost as serious an impact on the discussion.

Will going over and correcting these errors really advance the discussion? In my experience, no, not really, but if others are interested, we can certainly go over them.

Then why bother to counter someone's argument, if you're not going to make sure your counterargument is completely sound and airtight?

* Trying to be nice as I said I would *

I actually think most of what I said is sound. I simply said I am not perfect. Then you question me even making a post because of that.

According to you, one should never post anything unless they think they are 100% right, to the point that if someone counters what you have posted, that you should feel no need to reply with anything other than comments like " There are errors here" and not actually discuss it. So don't post unless you are so stuck on your opinion that you wont be willing to have a conversation about it? Really? Well at least you follow your own rules I guess.

I think there is a middle ground here, as I believe you are incorrect or excluding some important things , and I also could be incorrect or missing something and together there could be a better consensus on the actual print run of this book.

The problem is, one of us isn't willing to admit to, at the very least, the possibility of being wrong, or missing something. Hint: its not me.

I actually think most of what I said is sound. I simply said I am not perfect. Then you question me even making a post because of that.

According to you, one should never post anything unless they think they are 100% right, to the point that if someone counters what you have posted, that you should feel no need to reply with anything other than comments like " There are errors here" and not actually discuss it. So don't post unless you are so stuck on your opinion that you wont be willing to have a conversation about it? Really? Well at least you follow your own rules I guess.

I think there is a middle ground here, as I believe you are incorrect or excluding some important things , and I also could be incorrect or missing something and together there could be a better consensus on the actual print run of this book.

The problem is, one of us isn't willing to admit to, at the very least, the possibility of being wrong, or missing something. Hint: its not me.

Experience with you tells me that you are not open to rationally discussing disagreements without becoming emotionally involved and making the issue personal. I typed out a lengthy response, but deleted it, realizing that this is still true. This post of yours is further evidence of that; as an example. the last paragraph where you describe an unwillingness to consider the possibility of being wrong on my part, which bears no relevance to the discussion, and is a remark about me, personally, rather than the topic.

Suffice it to say, there remain errors in your information, and the conclusions made from that information are thereby faulty. If I'm wrong, show how. All the rest is unnecessary melodrama.

Experience with you tells me that you are not open to rationally discussing disagreements without becoming emotionally involved and making the issue personal. I typed out a lengthy response, but deleted it, realizing that this is still true. This post of yours is further evidence of that; as an example. the last paragraph where you describe an unwillingness to consider the possibility of being wrong on my part, which bears no relevance to the discussion, and is a remark about me, personally, rather than the topic.

Suffice it to say, there remain errors in your information, and the conclusions made from that information are thereby faulty. If I'm wrong, show how. All the rest is unnecessary melodrama.

Breakdown so far... ( paraphrasing of course)

RMA: A lot of reasons he thinks ASM 361 has a print run near 400k

Me: rebutting RMA : A lot of reasons I think ASM 361 has a print run near 550k

RMA: Errors in your post bro, then dead silence. No explanation. ( passive aggressive)

Me: Well I never said I was perfect, I still think I have many good points, lets discuss it. ( honest)

RMA: Why even post if you are not 100% sure you are right about everything you said? There is nothing to discuss here. ( passive aggressive)

Me: HUH? Because a lot of this is speculation and assumption on both our parts, we both could be wrong in some cases, we should be able to talk about this and reach a consensus, but someone here cannot even admit to the possibility being wrong, or missing something, and it is not me. ( aggressive, and straightforward yet, honest )

RMA: ASM 361 went to a second print, so you are "wrong" about 1/10th of your post! I was going type out more, but you take stuff so personal. You saying I can't admit I could be wrong has nothing to do with this conversation,. you are making it personal, im not talking about it anymore. ( Cop-out)

End paraphrasing..

Now for a quote

Look man, I rebutted your post ( that's the "show how" you are asking for). Instead of discussing it, you are hanging on the fact I admitted that I * could* be wrong and that i'm not perfect, as some type of proof that you are correct about these so called " errors in my information" that you keep bringing up but will not tell us about. Then you tell me to try again? Come on. My original response to your post is still there.

You not being able to admit to missing something or being wrong, or even taking part of an idea and realizing that it does make sense and adding that to your opinion and reforming it, has everything to do with this conversation. You wont even talk about it because of your attitude about how perfect your opinion is. It breaks the entire discussion down to the point it doesn't happen. That's very relevant. I thought, even though we have bumped heads in the past because of this problem, this particular thread could be different because I think we both have enough to add to make the estimate better.

Almost everything from both of our posts are assumptions and educated guesses because there really is not much information from that time period that is unquestionable fact, maybe that's why I thought we could get together on this one.

There is an error in your logic about 361 thing being a surprise btw. We are both right, and both wrong I believe, but in the end, proves my point more than yours. Maybe Ill explain that... later, you first...

Edited by Silverdream

I love how EVERY thread that's longer than a month old has RMA attacking someone's comments then saying they're getting too emotionally involved when he goes at them even harder. *Waits for RMA's drawn out reply as to why. Then, another reply saying I'm getting emotionally involved if I respond with anything other than kissing his * :blahblah: (thumbs u

I love how EVERY thread that's longer than a month old has RMA attacking someone's comments then saying they're getting too emotionally involved when he goes at them even harder. *Waits for RMA's drawn out reply as to why. Then, another reply saying I'm getting emotionally involved if I respond with anything other than kissing his * :blahblah: (thumbs u

Emotional response: characterizing my statement of "There are several errors in this post" as "attacking someone's comments."

This is an emotional response, bighaley, because you have a personal problem with me. That's fine, lots of people do. However...allowing your distaste for me personally to color your analysis of what I say is, by definition, responding from emotion. You are posting out of annoyance, not reason.

If I say "2 + 2 = 5" and you say "that is not correct"...are you "attacking my comment"?

Or just pointing out what is true?

Obviously, perceiving it as an "attack" is an emotional, rather than logical, response.

Breakdown so far... ( paraphrasing of course)

RMA: A lot of reasons he thinks ASM 361 has a print run near 400k

Me: rebutting RMA : A lot of reasons I think ASM 361 has a print run near 550k

RMA: Errors in your post bro, then dead silence. No explanation. ( passive aggressive)

Me: Well I never said I was perfect, I still think I have many good points, lets discuss it. ( honest)

RMA: Why even post if you are not 100% sure you are right about everything you said? There is nothing to discuss here. ( passive aggressive)

Me: HUH? Because a lot of this is speculation and assumption on both our parts, we both could be wrong in some cases, we should be able to talk about this and reach a consensus, but someone here cannot even admit to the possibility being wrong, or missing something, and it is not me. ( aggressive, and straightforward yet, honest )

RMA: ASM 361 went to a second print, so you are "wrong" about 1/10th of your post! I was going type out more, but you take stuff so personal. You saying I can't admit I could be wrong has nothing to do with this conversation,. you are making it personal, im not talking about it anymore. ( Cop-out)

End paraphrasing..

Now for a quote

Look man, I rebutted your post ( that's the "show how" you are asking for). Instead of discussing it, you are hanging on the fact I admitted that I * could* be wrong and that i'm not perfect, as some type of proof that you are correct about these so called " errors in my information" that you keep bringing up but will not tell us about. Then you tell me to try again? Come on. My original response to your post is still there.

You not being able to admit to missing something or being wrong, or even taking part of an idea and realizing that it does make sense and adding that to your opinion and reforming it, has everything to do with this conversation. You wont even talk about it because of your attitude about how perfect your opinion is. It breaks the entire discussion down to the point it doesn't happen. That's very relevant. I thought, even though we have bumped heads in the past because of this problem, this particular thread could be different because I think we both have enough to add to make the estimate better.

Almost everything from both of our posts are assumptions and educated guesses because there really is not much information from that time period that is unquestionable fact, maybe that's why I thought we could get together on this one.

There is an error in your logic about 361 thing being a surprise btw. We are both right, and both wrong I believe, but in the end, proves my point more than yours. Maybe Ill explain that... later, you first...

Again...past experience (and current experience) has shown that you are unwilling to take part in a discussion without making it personal. Your paraphrase does not accurately reflect my statements, and you continue to mischaracterize my motives. I don't wish to discuss me OR you, I wish to discuss topics.

Anything further is just adding to the melodrama.

Pretty much validated my comments with that response. Post less.

By pointing out the large hole in your logic...?

hm

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. You cannot refute the truth of what I said, however.

My advice to you is to not let random strangers on the internet bother you so much. Tone is awfully hard to convey in the written word, and everyone has jumped to conclusions that weren't warranted...and even when they were warranted, why let someone you don't know, and will likely never meet, affect your enjoyment of life?

Unless, of course, you derive enjoyment out of confrontation, which is a problem.

There are a lot of people like that, too, unfortunately.

So I tell you: post more, but don't be afraid of having your views challenged, and don't get upset about it when it happens. Otherwise, how will you ever grow as a human being?