• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

And that is what is called a "disclaimer".
And one I don't believe. I can't tell you the number of times I've Googled "trannypants" and not once has The CGC's website been where I was directed in the results. :eek:

And that is what is called a "legal disclaimer".

Fixed that. (thumbs u

^^

And one I don't believe. I can't tell you the number of times I've Googled "trannypants" and not once has The CGC's website been where I was directed in the results. :eek:

I just verified that :eek:

65157.jpg Mis-wrap? Or mis-cut?

The wrap looks fine. The cut, however...., :eek:

Looks like both cut and wrap were inebriated:

65158.jpg

Well sure, if you look at the back cover. Who does that? :baiting:

If CGC had hammered bad mis-wraps from day one, then there is no way these types of methods would be used. But since they decided (rather foolishly) not to hammer mis-wraps, the door was opened, and the shysters found a loop hole to manipulate. :tonofbricks:

Let me play devil's advocate here...

From day one, CGC hammers for miswraps.

These aren't miswraps. When the interior pages extend over a quarter inch beyond the front cover, yet the back cover is aligned with the pages or even extends past them, the comic has been manipulated beyond anything that arises as a normal consequence of production.

It's fugly, so fugly that one doesn't need to have the comics in hand to recognize that they're fugly, and when CGC comes across books like these they should hammer them, Haspel-style. The company loses credibility when they don't.

If CGC had hammered bad mis-wraps from day one, then there is no way these types of methods would be used. But since they decided (rather foolishly) not to hammer mis-wraps, the door was opened, and the shysters found a loop hole to manipulate. :tonofbricks:

The Avengers #1 does not have a mis-wrap. It had an intentional spine roll added to increase the visual appeal of the front cover. The book was shifted. In no way is it a mis-wrap.

This is accurate. But the question is how should CGC grade it or identify it? It's actually a spine roll (whether newly created, or not), and because it's been pressed, it's a spine roll that I presume can not be as easily corrected as a spine roll that occurs when a kid has flipped the pages over as he read the book. So should it be graded as an uber spine roll, a defect bigger than a typical spine roll? Or should CGC attempt to divine the thought process of how it acquired that spine roll and identify it with a value-punishing label (to make sure that people who wouldn't have minded otherwise behave as if they do mind)

CGC's business is, or should be, to identify grade of a book and the accumulated defects, whether or not they were done with one intent or another. Otherwise, you have a situation in which people look to CGC not to grade a book but to alert them whether somebody ever touched the book in a way they don't like. That path leads to irrational valuations and copious amounts of silliness.

TRUTH is always a 100% ironclad defense :gossip:

Yes, but there are all these armchair lawyers around here that equate questionable ethics to violations of the law. However, I doubt those characters can comprehend what Mr. Zaid just said.

I will say that things like this make me want to dump my collection and reassemble my low grader reader copy sets.
I've found that if you have a watchful eye, and avoid things/prices that are too good to be true, you can still come out ok. Maybe not unscathed, but just a little scathed.

For example, I've been fed about fifteen color-touches, one missing centerfold, and one undisclosed tape from boardies. I give them the benefit of the doubt, in all but one recurring case, but I still carefully examine and return stuff, if necessary.

By and large, the people here are pretty honest. Except for those damm undisclosing pressers :baiting:

Yes, but there are all these armchair lawyers around here that equate questionable ethics to violations of the law. However, I doubt those characters can comprehend what Mr. Zaid just said.

This would make sense if folks started rattling their sabers, and talking about CGC (or buyers) suing the seller, or talking about some form of class action lawsuit when they don't even understand the concept.

That's not what's been said here. It's been about book manipulation and the books slipping through the CGC sanctum with the same defects moved to the back of the book.

Oh - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, again!

To successfully defend against a lawsuit, yes, but not to necessarily prevent one from being filed against you. :gossip:

To successfully defend against a lawsuit, yes, but not to necessarily prevent one from being filed against you. :gossip:

No worries, my Bar license is still active so i can call anyone i want a scumb ag and it will be pretty cheap to defend myself :devil: