• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

If CGC had hammered bad mis-wraps from day one, then there is no way these types of methods would be used. But since they decided (rather foolishly) not to hammer mis-wraps, the door was opened, and the shysters found a loop hole to manipulate. :tonofbricks:

:screwy:

There's nothing wrong with miswraps and miscuts. You might not like them and/or think they're ugly but that alone is no reason to deduct points from anything but the highest of high grades. The "problems" with books that weren't perfectly centered are obvious and it just makes more sense to grade the *condition* of the book.

Ecept that in virtually every other collectible field these sorts of defects result in grade/value deductions

(although I suppose in coins if the defect is horrendous enough it might add value as an oddity?)

The comics community has kept pressing in check and closely guarded,

Can you please stop posting this drivel? Pressing hasn't been "in check" or "closely guarded" for at least a decade.

while not so with the sportscard collectors as information about pressing comics for them has gone viral,so expect much more amateur or badly pressed comics in the future.

And once they discover that CGC will hammer the grade on a botched pressing job, they'll wise up and start sending their books to CFP or CIS.

I've cracked out several bad pressing jobs, and didn't see any hammering of the grade...., and now we have much more evidence of that. I'll bet you the pressing crowd can tell you whether a book has been pressed or not, but they're not about to tell you.

I own a couple of modern books that were pressed poorly by the previous owner - at a glance they look like 9.4 and above, but they were sitting in 8.5 slabs when I bought them. It's fairly obvious from looking at them that somebody had the press turned up too high (the back has a slight wave/ripple through it).

Here's an example - the dirt on the back is from the scanner ... it's not on the book.

That's an interesting point, Mike. I only purchase SA in slabs, so maybe it is difficult for CGC to tell whether the effects are from poor storage or bad pressing. Or, maybe I'm just making invalid assumptions - not like it hasn't happened before.

Finally, take some of the heat off Oregon..., :insane:

Hot in Oregon lately? hm

Must be Global Warming... :devil:

Heck no. But we've definitely shifted to spring in the part of Oregon I live in. It's a big state (I'm 240 miles distant from PGX Hindquarters) with lot's of variations - I live in the high desert (4800 elevation), but you can get to the forest (eastside type dry type) pretty quick from here.

If CGC had hammered bad mis-wraps from day one, then there is no way these types of methods would be used. But since they decided (rather foolishly) not to hammer mis-wraps, the door was opened, and the shysters found a loop hole to manipulate. :tonofbricks:

There's nothing wrong with miswraps and miscuts. You might not like them and/or think they're ugly but that alone is no reason to deduct points from anything but the highest of high grades. The "problems" with books that weren't perfectly centered are obvious and it just makes more sense to grade the *condition* of the book.

That was not the standard for the entire time I was involved with comic books before 2000. Miswraps and miscuts were typically factored into the grading in Indiana in the 80's and 90s. I wasn't there but my understanding is that the same was true everywhere.

smiley_nah.gif

Ecept that in virtually every other collectible field these sorts of defects result in grade/value deductions

(although I suppose in coins if the defect is horrendous enough it might add value as an oddity?)

In sports cards, cutting a series of cards from a sheet back in the day produced some wild variations, enough that perfectly centered examples started fetching higher than average values. It makes much more sense for this to be factored into grading when its a flat two-sided object.

In coins, anomalies such as relief and/or toning make the piece more desirable, but it isn't an across the board thing and there are factors that come into play, including the problem of artificially manipulated specimens.

I've never seen enough reason for either centering, miswraps, and/or anomalies (errors included) to translate in the same way with comics, and while a perfectly centered example has always lauded more attention and interest within this community from a preference standpoint, I've had many people look at me with a blank stare when I use "miswrap" at shows or when dealing with people IRL. If I start using descriptors such as when a book is "perfectly centered", the vibe from people I get is sideshow hucksterism, and that just isn't my thing.

That was not the standard for the entire time I was involved with comic books before 2000. Miswraps and miscuts were typically factored into the grading in Indiana in the 80's and 90s. I wasn't there but my understanding is that the same was true everywhere.

smiley_nah.gif
I never saw any of this 'downgrading for miswrap' in Oregon or Idaho. Nevada or Northern Cal either. In fact, I never heard of miswrap until I came to this website. Prior to the time of me becoming a 'boardie' I always sought out books with the white spine bar, as it hid wear really well.

smiley_nah.gif
I never saw any of this 'downgrading for miswrap' in Oregon or Idaho. Nevada or Northern Cal either. In fact, I never heard of miswrap until I came to this website. Prior to the time of me becoming a 'boardie' I always sought out books with the white spine bar, as it hid wear really well.

Even prior to joining these boards, miswrap was used to describe more extreme examples that really were miswrapped. Nothing close to the non-treated kind shown in this thread. I had a scan of a Cap 106 somewhere that was just wild that I would definitely call a miswrap. There was only one book I have always wanted with no white on the spine and that was Hulk 181. Although I think that was more a preference born out of wanting to obtain one similar to my original owner copy.

Edit: found the scan of the Cap 106

65157.jpg

BTW

Jesse and Thomas Wilson are Mark Wilson's son's

bob

I just hope Uncle Mookie is clear of this whole thing. :wishluck:

BTW

bob

I just hope Uncle Mookie is clear of this whole thing. :wishluck:

Mookie was driving the getaway car :cry:

smiley_nah.gif

Even prior to joining these boards, miswrap was used to describe more extreme examples that really were miswrapped. Nothing close to the non-treated kind shown in this thread. I had a scan of a Cap 106 somewhere that was just wild that I would definitely call a miswrap. There was only one book I have always wanted with no white on the spine and that was Hulk 181. Although I think that was more a preference born out of wanting to obtain one similar to my original owner copy.

Edit: found the scan of the Cap 106

65157.jpg

Mis-wrap? Or mis-cut?

BTW

bob

Isn't Mark a reverend or preacher or something as well?

All, while I am not confirming at this time who the involved party(ies) are in this matter as it remains under investigation, I want to use this opportunity to issue a general statement, whether it may be relevant to this thread or involving the next topic that might arise, to please not jump to any conclusions based on scans and/or guilt by association.

There are likely always facts that will not be known to those on the boards that may change the dynamics of a situation. It is unfair to taint or taunt individuals based on conjecture or association, whether by family, friend and/or business relationship.

The comments you post on these message boards are not only publicly visible to members, but searchable as well. Indeed, I am amazed at times how quickly information/names mentioned in a thread can be discovered through external search engines. Statements that are posted can be hurtful to individuals, personally and professionally, and can potentially cause harm to their reputations and/or businesses. Furthermore, the statement could be viewed as defamatory and become actionable as a matter of law.

CGC tries its best not to delete comments but obviously reserves the right to do so at anytime. Vulnerability for liability, however, exists far greater for the individual forumite (and I am not specifically directing this comment at anyone or about any past post) than for CGC due to certain statutory protections that do not exist for everyone.

I ask that you please use deliberative thought before you post something about an individual or their business, particularly when it could be construed as accusatory or insinuating unlawful activity, misconduct or unethical behavior. It is only appropriate and fair.

Thanks. (thumbs u