• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

Sid's right - the 'sycophant' comment was not directed at him. I don't think Sid's a sycophant, I like Sid and respect him as a person. But I do think he's somewhat misguided on this point...only time will tell.

I can understand you thinking that actually, but here is a question for you guys.

Choose one:

1. Would you rather have a very successful career and make alot of money but have a comic book collection that was just average and nothing that special (due to lack of time, priority or whatever), even though you REALLY love comics?

or

2. Would you rather have an outstanding collection of your favorite books in high grade including many extremely rare GA books (or whatever you fancy) but have a career where you were just making an average living and just doing "OK"?

My guess? I bet MOST of you guys choose #1. In other words, in putting together a list of your own priorities, I bet money, and having enough of it to be comfortable so that it allows you to buy the things you want and need, comes ABOVE your love of comic books. Then look at CGC and you may be able to figure out why they are doing what they are doing. When you can do better financially, event with the potential of trouncing over some of your other less important priorities, wouldn't YOU take similar actions?

Now of course I am not talking about illegal activities and there are always exceptions, but generally speaking, in the same situation I think most of us here, in CGC's position, assuming that we were high level enough to reap financial gain from this, WOULD do the same thing. And remember, this is a group of people that believes PRESSING is NOT restoration, so imagine YOU having that same mindset when coming up with your answer. ------Sid

For once read_em, you even made me laugh. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

And there might be a few minor topics in it:

Would the prices be reversed? If you knew it was a pressed (but beautiful) book, would you pay twice as much or half as much? That ad isn't realistic, because the books will be Blue labeled and pressing not noted (correct?), so no one's going to tell you they were pressed. Maybe some buyers could tell if it was a re-sub? Too bad the CGC labels don't have the slabbing date on them, you'd know if your book was pre - "official pressing company" .

How will Chris advertise his service? Will he have ads in Wizard, CBG, CBM, etc? You think he'll go subtle, or just flat out say "I can turn your 9.2s into 9.6s!" I don't think he'd be so blatant, but since CGC's policy is that pressing isn't restoration, there's no need to hold back, really.

cowbell.gif

I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE COWBELL!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I heard "Don't Fear the Reaper" today... and thanks to SNL, all I think of when that song plays is Will Ferrell and that damn cowbell! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Man, I played the H-e -ll out of that cowbell! headbang.gif

Among my favorite Will F. skits.

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-