• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

i really don't give a rat's arse so popcorn.gif

You know what? I'm with you. It just takes to much energy for me to care about this kind of [#@$%!!!] when it's obvious that all the parties involved don't give a about comic book collectors. It's a giant cash grab and nothing more. The people on top are going to fleece collectors for all they're worth....again.

It'll be just like the end off the 90's. Except this time instead of foil covers and other gimmicks, collectors will be left holding Frankenstein books locked in plastic slabs with blue labels that no one wants with a stupid look on their face and maxed out credit card in their wallets.

I no longer have any respect for CGC, their staff, or anyone else associated with the Certified Collectibles Group. They can all kiss my @ss.

Now that Chris knows exactly what CGC can detect....he's going to open his own restoration service under the umbrella of CGC?

You can't possibly believe this is going to be okay with comic collectors. Dealers may think this a great idea now...but wait until the demand for CGC books plummet, and they have noone to sell to.

Remember ' THE FEAR ' back in the early 90's?

No?

Don't worry...a painful reminder is forthcoming.

This topic is REAL important, keep your personal little arguing somewhere else please? This news from Steve sounds really bad to me. I am very disappointed as well.

acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

i do apologise to all forum members for having this troll ruining threads with his constant personal attacks on me that i can't read anyway. foreheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifscrewy.gif and i do know it's not danny boy. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now that Chris knows exactly what CGC can detect....he's going to open his own restoration service under the umbrella of CGC?

You can't possibly believe this is going to be okay with comic collectors. Dealers may think this a great idea now...but wait until the demand for CGC books plummet, and they have noone to sell to.

No?

paging JC...paging JC. gossip.gif is this the great crash that JC has been talking about the past two years? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Correct me if I am wrong, (as I am still relatively new to these forums) but is this just about pressing? All the "rumors" so to speak. I am completely unfamiliar with any of the names mentioned in the above posts, but from what I can gather it seems that there is an ex-employee (or soon to be / whatever) of the CGC that is going off and doing his own collectibles company. One of the services that will / would be offered is pressing? Is that correct?

Is the problem the pressing service that would offered

or

The fact that it would be done by an ex-CGC employee and his new company

or

That the new company would be under the CCG umbrella

or

Am I missing something.....

As an newbie looking in and probably not seeing the whole situation at hand I ask, what does it matter? CGC has pretty much said that pressing won't be viewed as restoration, unless it is a completely botched press job correct? I know of a handful of places that I can buy my books at and get them pressed prior to being shipped to CGC for grading. I am not saying that it is a good or bad thing, but it does exist and it seems like CGC is willing to accept that.

So as a newcomer.....what exactly is going on that is the problem?

-Brian

I wouldn't bet on a crash just yet - most ppl will be too 893censored-thumb.gif to understand the implications. Coincidentally those will most likely be the same people who get burned with the HG stuff if the population numbers swell like most believe they will. flamed.gif

No?

paging JC...paging JC. gossip.gif is this the great crash that JC has been talking about the past two years? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep.

No?

Yep.

JC and Hammer both proven right in the same week... where's the swarms of locusts and the lakes of fire?

Correct me if I am wrong, (as I am still relatively new to these forums) but is this just about pressing? All the "rumors" so to speak. I am completely unfamiliar with any of the names mentioned in the above posts, but from what I can gather it seems that there is an ex-employee (or soon to be / whatever) of the CGC that is going off and doing his own collectibles company. One of the services that will / would be offered is pressing? Is that correct?

Is the problem the pressing service that would offered

or

The fact that it would be done by an ex-CGC employee and his new company

or

That the new company would be under the CCG umbrella

or

Am I missing something.....

As an newbie looking in and probably not seeing the whole situation at hand I ask, what does it matter? CGC has pretty much said that pressing won't be viewed as restoration, unless it is a completely botched press job correct? I know of a handful of places that I can buy my books at and get them pressed prior to being shipped to CGC for grading. I am not saying that it is a good or bad thing, but it does exist and it seems like CGC is willing to accept that.

-Brian

Sometimes I hate being right so often, I wonder if this is what it feels like to be MK 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

doesn't this sound exactly like the same thing with the wizard 9.5? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif it'll blow over... actually that made much more of a bigger stink than this. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif all i can say is that when the BSD's are shaking in their boots, then i'll start to get queasy. yeahok.gif besides, i already sold all my high dollar CGC books. acclaim.gif

Just because CGC's stance is that "PRESSING IS NOT RESTORATION", doesn't mean that it isn't.

Because CGC holds a monopoly right now, they apparently feel that they can DICTATE the terms of the comic market.

The problem?

Their entire business relies on CONSUMER CONFIDENCE . Without it...they have nothing.

The PGA/CGG Group must just be loving this. If this does come too pass, they will be the only true graders that dont have restorer's, etc.. working under there name. Say what you want about them, there not considering letting someone use a company name for services that some would call restoration/pressing. Then having some of these book's be graded by the other part of the company. How the material too be graded get's there dosent matter, it will still get there. CGC will loose customers who simply wont trust them anymore. I for one wouldnt trust them, if this does indeed happen. Simply put, if you know the system, it is easier to beat the system. I am not saying this will happen, but it will be in the minds of more than a few collectors.... Just think PGA/CGG book's may become the prefered book's too own, restoration check or not.....

Pressing REALLY REALLY REALLY bothers some people.

Why attempt to trivialize our concerns? Maybe you enjoy the overwhelming GREED that has infected this hobby once again, but some of us are sickened by it.

Steve, ....thanks for your post.

If Chris opens his "collectibles service".....what possible advantage could there be to either him or you for it to be established under the CGC umbrella? I think the pr fallout on the negative side would far outweigh any positive aspects.

Red

Red: Have you ever seen CGC or CCG let the prospect (or the actual manifestation) of negative PR stand in the way of a money-making idea? I didn't think so.

The PGA/CGG Group must just be loving this. If this does come too pass, they will be the only true graders that dont have restorer's, etc.. working under there name. Say what you want about them, there not considering letting someone use a company name for services that some would call restoration/pressing. Then having some of these book's be graded by the other part of the company. How the material too be graded get's there dosent matter, it will still get there. CGC will loose customers who simply wont trust them anymore. I for one wouldnt trust them, if this does indeed happen. Simply put, if you know the system, it is easier to beat the system. I am not saying this will happen, but it will be in the minds of more than a few collectors.... Just think PGA/CGG book's may become the prefered book's too own, restoration check or not.....

i'd rather be buddies with mister_mean or danny boy/comic-keys than play russian roulette with PGA/CGG. screwy.gif

Pressing REALLY REALLY REALLY bothers some people.

Why attempt to trivialize our concerns? Maybe you enjoy the overwhelming GREED that has infected this hobby once again, but some of us are sickened by it.

Part of the reason is that pressing doesn't bother me at all. Not one iota. So I don't see, and have never seen, what the huge deal is. How it could morph into the 800 pound gorilla it's morphed into around here mystifies me.