• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

Now that Chris knows exactly what CGC can detect....he's going to open his own restoration service under the umbrella of CGC?

You can't possibly believe this is going to be okay with comic collectors. Dealers may think this a great idea now...but wait until the demand for CGC books plummet, and they have noone to sell to.

Remember ' THE FEAR ' back in the early 90's?

No?

Don't worry...a painful reminder is forthcoming.

paging JC...paging JC. gossip.gif is this the great crash that JC has been talking about the past two years? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep.

JC and Hammer both proven right in the same week... where's the swarms of locusts and the lakes of fire?

Don't forget the plague of frogs. That's the scariest of them all, and it's second on the list, way ahead of locusts. When I see the plague of frogs, I am REALLY going to sell all of my books!!!! 893whatthe.gif And of course, since it's going to happen long before the plague of locusts, those of you who are waiting for the locusts will be far too late! Heed my words! Sell when you see the frogs!!!!

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifhail.gifhail.gif

It's not about whether someone (ANYONE) starts a restoration service. The main issue is that CGC has SPECIFICALLY remained on the fence about "pressing as restoration" simply so that they may leave this particular door open.

This way, CGC can give the PERCEPTION of impartiality, while CCG can make even MORE money as people are submitting books to their pressing (restoration) service so that the books can be then submitted to CGC. (The premise, of course, being that only ALREADY high grade books are worth pressing and thus are worth slabbing.)

For me, this is the best summary yet.

I hated the Wizard First idea, and I hate this idea. What's next?

I love how you read Chris's mind and KNOW that he's opening a high volume resto service where he'll be doing mostly pressing of 9.4 books up to 9.6 and 9.8 level. Because it's absolutely impossible that he's bored with what he does at CGC and wants to open a regular resto service. I'm sorry, I'd offer a rational argument here instead of sarcasm but I doubt rational is what you're looking for.

I'm just wondering why some of the most vocal posters on this topic seem to be(by their own admissions) the same people who could "care less" if CGC went belly-up?

Who would that be? I'm asking this seriously because I don't know who "they" are and would like to.

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????????? Good God, you people can't keep up with the business you're already getting............why in the HELL do you need more business????????????..... thats what this is all about isn't it...... INCREASING THE VOLUME >>>>>> you people think INCREASES THE MONEY COMING INTO CGC.... Don't you realize what this will do to this hobby........ FALLING PRICES will eventually lead to FALLING VOLUME. How STUPID can you guys be ??? .... it may increase volume over the short run from those who want to be like FLATINUM PLATINUM over there with all his newfound 9.8's and 9.6's that look like POSTCARDS in the holder...... but ultimately, the people the MONEY (That's ME in case you were wondering) are going to TURN on this hobby and spit back in your face. DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDING YOU !!! THAT HAND IS MINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS B.S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME !!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????????? Good God, you people can't keep up with the business you're already getting............why in the HELL do you need more business????????????..... thats what this is all about isn't it...... INCREASING THE VOLUME >>>>>> you people think INCREASES THE MONEY COMING INTO CGC.... Don't you realize what this will do to this hobby........ FALLING PRICES will eventually lead to FALLING VOLUME. How STUPID can you guys be ??? .... it may increase volume over the short run from those who want to be like FLATINUM PLATINUM over there with all his newfound 9.8's and 9.6's that look like POSTCARDS in the holder...... but ultimately, the people the MONEY (That's ME in case you were wondering) are going to TURN on this hobby and spit back in your face. DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDING YOU !!! THAT HAND IS MINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS B.S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Ok, now I'm starting to reconsider my opinion on the subject......

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, this is the best summary yet.

I hated the Wizard First idea, and I hate this idea. What's next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

turnaround time for economy submissions is 6 months.

Exactly.

I don't like jumping to conclusions and I don't make accusations lightly without having the concrete evidence behind them. It seems everyone on here like to grandstand a bit and play the FDQ in several of their posts. I didn't care when Wizard First was announced and everyone was predicting that CGC would go down in flames and the consumer trust in the product would drop and that prices would soon follow...

I don't think many people were proclaiming the end of the world as we know it when the Wizard First deal was announced. Rather, they were predicting that the concept would flounder and die an ignoble death...but that if it DID succeed in a singificant way, it would eventually hurt the overall market for slabbed books (and thereby, indirectly, the back issue market as a whole). Thankfully, it seems to have withered and died in the timely fashion that most of us were hoping it would.

I love how you read Chris's mind and KNOW that he's opening a high volume resto service where he'll be doing mostly pressing of 9.4 books up to 9.6 and 9.8 level. Because it's absolutely impossible that he's bored with what he does at CGC and wants to open a regular resto service. I'm sorry, I'd offer a rational argument here instead of sarcasm but I doubt rational is what you're looking for.

Taken out of context and I even prefaced that I WAS speculating - I was illustrating what I envision a CCG backed resto service to be. If you do not think it will be a volume based business then please illustrate why - further, please elaborate on the pieces of my post that were irrational. I made a few core assumptions, but even these were based on knowledge that a CCG backed restoration services headed by Chris Friesen was in the works, or at least a business plan / model was being formulated.

From this I tried to postulate what the likely effects on the hobby were and the business motives behind the principles involved. I take as axiomatic that money is a large factor in most business ventures, for the parties involved - I fail to see how that is an irrational assertion.

Again please feel free to comment.........

How is this any different from people having books pressed by Nelson or Wilson and submitting to CGC? CGC does not recognize pressing as resto so it's not like they are PLODing books pressed by Nelson or Wilson and won't be PLODing books done by Chris.

It's different because CGC is supposed to be an impartial, third-party grading entity.

This is what I agree with and see. The 1st time I send a book into CGC and they recommend I send the book to someone for an improved grade, game over. No impartiality at all.

This coming from an outside guy looking in, but you don't have to be a genuis to see the problem.

Just my opinion.

I'm just wondering why some of the most vocal posters on this topic seem to be(by their own admissions) the same people who could "care less" if CGC went belly-up?

I believe you knew the answer to your 'question' before you even asked it. I'll try to answer it anyway:

If you position yourself as the de facto standard in comic book grading and restoration detection, and are accepted as such by the "community(ies)" that you serve, I think you have a certain obligation to those communities. If you then start "qualifying" your original stance by adding nonsensical grades like 9.5 and by joining the stampede to cash in on the pressing phenomenon and so forth, you're doing a major disservice to the communities that put their faith (and money) in your corner.

If Consumer Reports suddenly started a new division focused on refurbishing used cars, and the "ratings" division of Consumer Reports agreed to recognize those cars as "new" would that raise your eyebrows? Or would some among us just say "I never buy used cars, so I don't care - I'll continue to put my faith in Consumer Reports' ratings on new cars regardless." An imperfect analogy perhaps, but not too far off the mark in this case.

I think your core assumption seems to factor in that this was CCG's idea, in the effort to make more money. From what Steve said, Chris is the one that wanted to do something different and when he told CCG that he was quitting in order to do this they decided to try to work with him on his project. To me, there is no reason to assume that Chris decided to do this as a high volume pressing service to make money for CCG vs. a typical resto service. It makes more sense to me that if he enjoys restoring books, he'd get bored with working for CGC doing nothing but looking at books. If and so far that seems to be a big IF Chris does do this project under CCG's umbrella, there will be a negative perception, even though I think it is unwarranted. However holding CGC responsible for the actions of their former employee seems ridiculous, especially when all he is doing is offering the same service currently being offered by Nelson, Wilson etc.

Please refrain from bringing rational arguments to this discussion, as they spoil the mood of Armageddon brought about by CGC yet again.

sign-funnypost.gif

Hey, we're all free to speculate, and I for one don't think Jbud's assessment is necessarily far from the mark. CCG doesn't get into these things in a small way. Chris Friesen might, but in that case CCG wouldn't be interested. Don't try to convince me that CGC or CCG would be "institutionalizing" WHATEVER Chris F. does because they believe it's good for the market.

Let's see, he's bored with staring at comics all day trying to figure out if they're restored, so he's going to get back into the business of painstakingly restoring and monotonously pressing books instead. Uh-hunh.

I hope you're right, and I also hope that if you're wrong you'll have the guts to step up to the plate and acknowledge that fact.

Well so far the response to Steve's annoucement has been negative, very negative. Perhaps we can also am explanation as to why Shad's thread was pulled and what CGC plans to do (if anything) to address legitimate security concerns that I'm sure we all have. Not a good week in the PR department.