• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

It was already pointed out the book barely fit in the well, sorry forgot who said it, long thread. This guy likely trimmed this book. Probably has an elaborate system to make sure the book fits the inner well and gives the ever so slight trim if needed. Even that 7.0 looks trimmed.

Do we need to form a boardie lynch mob & head West??

Take a REAL GOOD LOOK at both the 8.5 and 9.2. How I did it was putting two small minimized screens side by side.

This trim job is easy to see.

The yellow ad box upper center and green ad box lower center - look how "closer" both boxes are to the LEFT towards the edge of the back covers.... this is the only area that could have a trim job.

The trim was approximately 1/8" to 3/16" but definitely can be seen.

CAL who hopes his eyes aren't giving out....

As an aside, i had a tales to astonish 93 9.2 that looked like the avengers 9.2. It looked to have been made that way. I then had it pressed and the spine realligned to where it should have been. Matt nelson did this for me in like 2009.

Got pics? :wishluck:

:sorry: that was two laptops ago

Welcome to the hobby pressing has created. I hate to say it, and noone should take this personally but IMO if you (myself included) buy, sell or support pressed books you have been a part of creating a market that accepts this.

:applause: Absolutely.

No, not absolutely. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable.

The irony here is thick enough to shield me from a gamma bomb. Ive seen you defend pressing so many times i cant count them. Now that a technique has passed your personal line in the sand its a big deal. This book isnt anymore damaged than any other pressed book ( actual damage not your opinion on ascetics). Cgc is simply grading the book as it sits in front of them.

Yes, it has been damaged. It has had a new spine created where wasn't one before.. I still defend pressing. This isn't pressing. This is purposely deforming a book to improve the technical grade. Nothing about this is book has been improved upon with exception of the number in the upper left hand corner and that fault lays squarely with the CGC.

Plus, you need to work on your hyperbole technique. You need to be just a touch more indignant.

You sound like every anti presser ive heard you rail on over the years. Your emotions cloud your judgement (and your posts). Press a spine roll in, press a spine roll out its all the same "damage"

No, I don't. No, I'm not. No, it isn't. Nothing about the book in question was put back to it's original position. It was purposely deformed to hide defects that are still there. You can't press color back on a book.

:sorry:

You should look at the bright side, it isnt everyday you get to walk a mile in the shoes of those youve opposed so fiercely in the past.

I remember you often railing on me about me not liking pressing. Im rereading those posts now and having a good laugh. ( i wish you were laughing with me but i know you arent) I just found a good one too ( link )

I especially like Dales quote which has obviously stuck with me:

Everyone draws a line somewhere. The question is where is the line. The line drawn by CGC is well established. If you want to draw a line elsewhere, that is up to you.

Welcome to the other side of the line jim.

Pressing a spine roll in or a spine roll out uses the same mechanics. No difference.

that's not the point. the idea of "good" pressing is to smooth out defects and make the comic closer to the state it was in when printed. this new "bad" pressing is just creating a very controlled spine roll to move the spine creases to the back cover. that's not the book's original published state.

it's not about damage or that the same technique is used, it's the result. i don't think this sort of pressing should be banned or anything, but CGC should grade it like it is: a book with a pronounced spine roll.

Welcome to the hobby pressing has created. I hate to say it, and noone should take this personally but IMO if you (myself included) buy, sell or support pressed books you have been a part of creating a market that accepts this.

No, not absolutely. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable.

The irony here is thick enough to shield me from a gamma bomb. Ive seen you defend pressing so many times i cant count them. Now that a technique has passed your personal line in the sand its a big deal. This book isnt anymore damaged than any other pressed book ( actual damage not your opinion on ascetics). Cgc is simply grading the book as it sits in front of them.

Yes, it has been damaged. It has had a new spine created where wasn't one before.. I still defend pressing. This isn't pressing. This is purposely deforming a book to improve the technical grade. Nothing about this is book has been improved upon with exception of the number in the upper left hand corner and that fault lays squarely with the CGC.

Plus, you need to work on your hyperbole technique. You need to be just a touch more indignant.

You sound like every anti presser ive heard you rail on over the years. Your emotions cloud your judgement (and your posts). Press a spine roll in, press a spine roll out its all the same "damage"

No, I don't. No, I'm not. No, it isn't. Nothing about the book in question was put back to it's original position. It was purposely deformed to hide defects that are still there. You can't press color back on a book.

You should look at the bright side, it isnt everyday you get to walk a mile in the shoes of those youve opposed so fiercely in the past.

I remember you often railing on me about me not liking pressing. Im rereading those posts now and having a good laugh. ( i wish you were laughing with me but i know you arent) I just found a good one too ( link )

Everyone draws a line somewhere. The question is where is the line. The line drawn by CGC is well established. If you want to draw a line elsewhere, that is up to you.

Dammit, you got me reading the old pressng thread. :frustrated:

Despite having posted in it, I can't really remember it. Those were the days, when pressing threads were pressing threads. :cloud9:

Pressing a spine roll in or a spine roll out uses the same mechanics. No difference.

that's not the point. the idea of "good" pressing is to smooth out defects and make the comic closer to the state it was in when printed. this new "bad" pressing is just creating a very controlled spine roll to move the spine creases to the back cover. that's not the book's original published state.

it's not about damage or that the same technique is used, it's the result. i don't think this sort of pressing should be banned or anything, but CGC should grade it like it is: a book with a pronounced spine roll.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I was specifically talking about what the book is minus the eye appeal.

As an aside, i had a tales to astonish 93 9.2 that looked like the avengers 9.2. It looked to have been made that way. I then had it pressed and the spine realligned to where it should have been. Matt nelson did this for me in like 2009.

No, I don't. No, I'm not. No, it isn't.

You absolutely do, are and it is.

Yet one process takes it back (or closer) to it's original state and the other does the complete and polar opposite.

One question I have here:

If there's an allegation that the seller of the book in question trimmed the back cover than should this seller be reported to CGC the way Ewert was?

Yet one process takes it back (or closer) to it's original state and the other does the complete and polar opposite.

But then if this person/process/book is being damned arent we making an assumption of ethics based on assumed intent?

Which was what pro pressing advocates biggest pet peeve always was or at least seemed to be. (yours especially joe)

If there's an allegation that the seller of the book in question trimmed the back cover than should this seller be reported to CGC the way Ewert was?

The book isn't trimmed - Cal doesn't know what he's talking about.

Its not trimmed, Cal is trollin for attention.

I am not anti-pressing.

I have books in the queue to be pressed with www.CFPComics.com as we speak.

I do not have a problem with the Avengers #1 being pressed. I do have a problem with stupidity. Repositioning non-pressable defects from the spine to the back cover and the resulting grade bump from an 8.5 to a 9.2 (with the defects still present in the book) is one of the most stupid things I have seen the CGC do in years... and it's not a short list.

Now, if you want to continue your lament about a disturbance in the force, complete with mementos from arguments past, then be my guest.

But then if this person/process/book is being damned arent we making an assumption of ethics based on assumed intent?

Which was what pro pressing advocates biggest pet peeve always was or at least seemed to be. (yours especially joe)

If you want to use a broad sword, then yes.

I think, at times, you have to be a little more atomic in your approach. It may seem odd that someone who is pro-pressing decides to draw a line...but it is what it is. I would not do it no matter how much of a profit is involved.

I think, at times, you have to be a little more atomic in your approach. It may seem odd that someone who is pro-pressing decides to draw a line...but it is what it is. I would not do it no matter how much of a profit is involved.

hm

Its not trimmed, Cal is trollin for attention.

If I wanted attention, it sure would not be through any Trimming detection.

You can't do any better than that? CAL :facepalm:

I am not anti-pressing.

I have books in the queue to be pressed with www.CFPComics.com as we speak.

I do not have a problem with the Avengers #1 being pressed. I do have a problem with stupidity. Repositioning non-pressable defects from the spine to the back cover and the resulting grade bump from an 8.5 to a 9.2 (with the defects still present in the book) is one of the most stupid things I have seen the CGC do in years... and it's not a short list.

Now, if you want to continue your lament about a disturbance in the force, complete with mementos from arguments past, then be my guest.

Im not lamenting, lol i couldnt give two feks one way or the other.

And i know youre not anti pressing. ... .... :roflmao:

I just very much enjoy a good conversation, and seeing YOU lament about CGC, this type of pressing and "this abomination of a book." :D It shows me the human side of you that is sometimes hard to spot on the forum.

Youll still squeeze back when i hug you in june you grumpy old softy you.

(thumbs u (although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by atomic. hm )

(thumbs u (although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by atomic. hm )

Sometimes you have to look at the little picture for what it is VS only judging the big picture. Joe knows i have a hard time with that.