• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insane press and flip Avengers 1.

491 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember this press and shift?!?!

SC 22 from an 8.5 to 9.2. Same seller, same grade bump.

SC 22 IHOP special

......Mem'ries light the corners of my mind. Misty watercolor MEEEEMMMMRIES.....

With the SC22, though, he said he didn't actually press the book :eek:

yea, it's stuck in your head for sure. Especially when you jacked up that asm over "potential". I don't blame you I wouldn't want to go through that upgrade again ;)

lol

Does anyone remember this press and shift?!?!

SC 22 from an 8.5 to 9.2. Same seller, same grade bump.

SC 22 IHOP special

......Mem'ries light the corners of my mind. Misty watercolor MEEEEMMMMRIES.....

With the SC22, though, he said he didn't actually press the book :eek:

yea, it's stuck in your head for sure. Especially when you jacked up that asm over "potential". I don't blame you I wouldn't want to go through that upgrade again ;)

lol

dont worry. Ill show you the asm 1 I bagged ;)

The chiropractor. 70K in 3 months, great living.

It hasn't sold yet. What I find as disturbing as the refold job on this book, is that a 9.2 would be valued at more than 6x an 8.5

Looks like the creases are residing in the spine edge. Since the spine edge of some books have wear in time, which CGC has been lenient on this. This technique to enhanced this Avengers 1 has fooled CGC in thinking it's normal wear which is quite a lot more than the norm.

I don't get all the outrage. The only thing I have a problem with is that the work was not disclosed. As long as there is no disassembly involved, its just another form of pressing. My opinion mirrors most here that it does look like but we all know there are label chasers that will pick these up. As far as the grade bump, there is nothing uncommon about it. As far as what CGC graded it, I believe they dropped the ball on it. That chip and all the spine ticks still exist on the book. If I had the knowledge and equipment I would do the same thing along with full disclosure of the work. Providing for the family is more important than funny books.

^^

Read the entire Thread before I decided on the ONE post that clarifies most of the dilemma in a Thread, and this Thread is a great Thread.

Just a few quick notes: I still am not convinced that those nicks/scrapes on Loki's neck in the 8.5 are there on the 9.2. I can't see them, especially the vertical color-breaking one that is 1/4 to 1/2" long( that would have NOT been covered up via re-creasing the covers like that).

if the refolding pressing WAS done, doesn't it leave excess back cover overhang? Without a back cover scan to see, we can't be sure, can we?

Would like to compare BOTH back covers. Encapsulated or not.

Microtrimming 1/16 - 1/32" IS very hard to "eye-ball" as experienced collectors( and graders) will attest to such, but the TRIMMING of the right side front cover would be a no-brainer to catch.

It is possible that the Seller had more than one copy of AVG 1, and got lucky with his generous 8.5 gift, and decided to list the 9.2 at the request of solicitors( "hey, I just sold my boat, i will bid your AVG 1 9.2 if you list it this week"..a stretch, but this has happened to me a few times on non-key ASMs and IMSMs and Silver Surfers). Hard to say unless the Seller tells all him/herself. Then we would each have to decide if the story is true...

Many CGCers have asked me why I don't trade ASM 1, AF 15, FF 1, and many major "keys". This flavor of the unrest on this Thread re: AVG 1 getting upgraded coin via "the loophole" is one of the reasons I RARELY trade key comics. The few TOS 39's they have seen me trade( sold one to Eriqui a few years back right here on this Forum) I almost ALWAYS picked up in person at a show, examined it as if it was a "sister-wife" I was going to have to put up with for 5 years or so, and hoped like heck that there was NO games played with the book(s). For the common SA sell on the 'Bay, such as ASM 47, I don't have to worry too much.

Bottom line here: I am not convinced that this is the same book. The placement of the comics code stamp sure DOES look the same, but I have 25 Medusa covers( ASM 62) that the placement of the code stamp are exact as well as these two AVG 1.

Grails takes the more, sensible approach here. Still a great thread, with many viewpoints.

CAL hm

Cal, racerx who sold the Avengers 1 8.5 has verified that it is the same book.

Yes I did see that post by Racer X, but did the Seller tell the truth? That Seller, if admitting so, would be...??? get my drift?

But you're right. If racer X says it is, as per HIS verification, then I gotta go along with that.

I also deliberately stayed OUT of any and all pressing threads over the years here. . I just did not want to add any fuel to the many fires here if you know what I mean...

Cal, racerx who sold the Avengers 1 8.5 has verified that it is the same book.

Yes I did see that post by Racer X, but did the Seller tell the truth? That Seller, if admitting so, would be...??? get my drift?

But you're right. If racer X says it is, as per HIS verification, then I gotta go along with that.

Yes I got an email verification from seller. But I just looked at the 2 book scans closely again, and now I do see what others like spider were seeing all along - clearly the same book. Even that big chip at Loki's neck is visible in the bc scan of the 9.2. The defects and staples lined up, so the new fold at the staples places most of the spine defects right on the spine - much less noticeable than on the fc or bc.

Again, I have no issue with this practice (respect to those that disagree), just stunned that simply the movement of the defects could have resulted in such a bump - maybe a 9.0 would have caused less of a stir, but all the way to a 9.2?? (shrug)

But I don't think it's quite accurate to say that all the seller did was get the book pressed. Relocating the spine on a book goes beyond conventional pressing.

Not getting into the argument of whether it's ethical or not, there is little difference mechanically between removing a spine roll and creating one.

I wasn't getting into the ethics either. I was just noting that whether relocating the spine is mechanically the same as a typical press or not, relocating the spine was upsetting to people who are not upset by a typical press.