• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

lol I wish CGC Idea Committee was a real.

CGC Idea Committee convinces me that Transplant does, in fact, have a soul.

Yes, but it's black, cold and smells like anchovies. :eek:

No, that was your birthday call girl.

I just spewed sarsaparilla through my nose. :roflmao:

So I've read all the posts and actually had a discussion with CGC this morning and I have to say I am very disappointed with this new policy and will NEVER pay $15 to get graders notes.

I would consider a more reasonable price of $3-$5 per book but $15 is just too much.

Considering they "only" charge $12 for a reholder (that involves real work materials and time from many different people at CGC including responsibility of holding/insuring the book) how can they justify $15 for this service?

There are so many other scenarios that would have worked better and all have been discussed. The best one IMO (and one that I recommended to them a couple years ago) is why not hire one dedicated customer service person at minimum wage (could even be a student) to read out notes to callers. And possibly make that service available only to Premium members (who pay $129/year).

I for one have several pet peeves that I avoid when I am buying comics. I don't buy books with rusty staples, foxing or bad stains and the graders notes were perfect for describing regular defects and pointing out deal breakers.

And living in Toronto and not having access to huge US shows where I can hold the book in my hand and inspect it I buy almost all my books online. So I am relying on scans and photos that don't show the imperfections I am trying to avoid.

All I have to say is this $15 - $30 price is much too high for such a simple service as reading out 1-4 lines describing defects in a comic. I really hope upper management at CGC reads this thread (the serious parts of it that is) and listens to us. I have faith that this change will not be a permenant one. :wishluck:

+1

lol I wish CGC Idea Committee was a real.

CGC Idea Committee convinces me that Transplant does, in fact, have a soul.

Yes, but it's black, cold and smells like anchovies. :eek:

No, that was your birthday call girl.

I just spewed sarsaparilla through my nose. :roflmao:

I am shocked that this is the correct spelling.

On a related note, I now know what my shill ID is going to be.

So I've read all the posts and actually had a discussion with CGC this morning and I have to say I am very disappointed with this new policy and will NEVER pay $15 to get graders notes.

I would consider a more reasonable price of $3-$5 per book but $15 is just too much.

Considering they "only" charge $12 for a reholder (that involves real work materials and time from many different people at CGC including responsibility of holding/insuring the book) how can they justify $15 for this service?

There are so many other scenarios that would have worked better and all have been discussed. The best one IMO (and one that I recommended to them a couple years ago) is why not hire one dedicated customer service person at minimum wage (could even be a student) to read out notes to callers. And possibly make that service available only to Premium members (who pay $129/year).

I for one have several pet peeves that I avoid when I am buying comics. I don't buy books with rusty staples, foxing or bad stains and the graders notes were perfect for describing regular defects and pointing out deal breakers.

And living in Toronto and not having access to huge US shows where I can hold the book in my hand and inspect it I buy almost all my books online. So I am relying on scans and photos that don't show the imperfections I am trying to avoid.

All I have to say is this $15 - $30 price is much too high for such a simple service as reading out 1-4 lines describing defects in a comic. I really hope upper management at CGC reads this thread (the serious parts of it that is) and listens to us. I have faith that this change will not be a permenant one. :wishluck:

+1

+2

That is precisely the same reason I call for notes on expensive books. Well, that and the fact that some auction houses won't provide back cover scans or answer emails with inquiries about these sorts of defects.

I would estimate that 2 times out of 3 when I call for notes, there is a flaw I couldn't see which is brought to my attention by the notes, resulting in my not bidding on that particular book. The thought of paying $15 to learn that I should avoid bidding on a book bothers me... But I guess that's going to be the price to pay if I want to keep pursuing mid-grade SA ASMs.

Is CGC trying to get rid of customers and business? hm

By charging for something that costs them time and, therefore, money? They are making it plainly clear that if you want this information, you will have to pay for it.

I think their prices are out of whack but they don't care what I think.

There are only a few options that will make them change their mind. Take your business elsewhere. lol

Start a new grading company and do things differently.

I can only speak for myself but CGC is not showing me that they put the customer first. Now they are showing a strong lack of regard for their core base of customers.

My comment is not just considering the new graders note fiasco.

Combine the graders notes policy change along with significant delays in turnaround times, increased fees and that's a recipe for customers to not do business with them.

My submissions have been reduced because of the crazy delays and price increases. Couple that with this notes thing and I can see how this will turn off some, if not many, customers.

They are making it harder for dealers to make money as well. Not smart business in my mind. I would guess a significant amount of their business comes from high volume dealers churning out collections and submitting books. They are just making it harder on the end customer when it should be the other way.

Make things easier for your customers and they will come back for more!

The customer will still come back for more as they have nowhere else to go. Comic book collectors for years upon years have proven that if you have what they "need", they will buy it regardless of almost anything.

After 10 years, no one else has stepped up and created competition for CGC. Why is that? Is it possible that grading comic books is not a profitable business?

There are a couple of card grading companies and coin grading companies out there. Why have they not, at the very least, dipped their toes into the water with comic book grading?

I think dealers are adjusting to the turnaround times by using different tiers or just waiting it out.

I think people need to look at comic book grading as 1) a niche business and 2) a niche business that has NO competition.

That completely changes the way the game is played regarding customer retention.

The timing could not be more prime for a second, legitimate grading company to pop up. In addition to being great for the individual, it would be great for the dealers and flippers (think crossover grading). Someone's going to grow a pair sooner than later and jump on this opportunity, IMO.

If it hasn't happened in the last ten years, I doubt it will happen now.

It is a niche business with tons of overhead and a limited customer base. That is not the standard bearer for a money making business.

To take business away from your competitor, you need to do it cheaper, quicker and better. You also need to be able to take it in the shorts for a few years while that (hopefully) happens.

It's not about growing a pair. It's about making money.

It's going to happen - it's just a matter of time. It's not that there's zero money to made - it's going to take a lot of capital to start up and therefore risk (hence the growing a pair comment) to make it happen. Just look at other collectibles that have been professionally graded for longer than comics. This is the natural progression of the hobby.

If they knocked off at 5 est, they are already outside of their stated turnaround of 24 hours. No notes :cry:
This is so amazingly awesome and apropos, I can't even stand it.

I'm curious if anybody has asked anybody at CGC about how they came up with the pricing structure for the notes. Part of me understands charging for notes. But $15 or $30 a book seems pretty outrageous.

I suspect more people would pay for the notes and CGC would make more money from the service if the prices were more reasonable.

I'm curious if anybody has asked anybody at CGC about how they came up with the pricing structure for the notes. Part of me understands charging for notes. But $15 or $30 a book seems pretty outrageous.

I suspect more people would pay for the notes and CGC would make more money from the service if the prices were more reasonable.

It was a simple process. More $$ = more $$. Holla.

It shouldn't be more than $5 a book...I can't believe I'm even saying that when i think it should be free but if they must charge...$5 max

It was based on grading tier. It started with $5 for the base tiers and went up with the level of service.

By charging for something that costs them time and, therefore, money? They are making it plainly clear that if you want this information, you will have to pay for it.

There are only a few options that will make them change their mind. Take your business elsewhere. lol

I can only speak for myself but CGC is not showing me that they put the customer first. Now they are showing a strong lack of regard for their core base of customers.

Combine the graders notes policy change along with significant delays in turnaround times, increased fees and that's a recipe for customers to not do business with them.

My submissions have been reduced because of the crazy delays and price increases. Couple that with this notes thing and I can see how this will turn off some, if not many, customers.

They are making it harder for dealers to make money as well. Not smart business in my mind. I would guess a significant amount of their business comes from high volume dealers churning out collections and submitting books. They are just making it harder on the end customer when it should be the other way.

The customer will still come back for more as they have nowhere else to go. Comic book collectors for years upon years have proven that if you have what they "need", they will buy it regardless of almost anything.

After 10 years, no one else has stepped up and created competition for CGC. Why is that? Is it possible that grading comic books is not a profitable business?

There are a couple of card grading companies and coin grading companies out there. Why have they not, at the very least, dipped their toes into the water with comic book grading?

I think dealers are adjusting to the turnaround times by using different tiers or just waiting it out.

I think people need to look at comic book grading as 1) a niche business and 2) a niche business that has NO competition.

That completely changes the way the game is played regarding customer retention.

:eyeroll:

:shy:

There are a couple of card grading companies and coin grading companies out there.

Do other branches of the Collectors Society have grading notes for their items? If so, does anyone know if they are provided at a charge? Just curious if this is a first in the world of slabbed collectables or if CGC is catching up to a practice that has been around for a while.

I don't know.

I would guess that coins and cards are pretty easy to see exactly what is going on. Someone smarter than me can probably answer this better.

:whistle:

The alternative is keeping the book raw. :o That's is the current competition at this point.

It worked up until year 2000...I think the comic collecting community would survive if we went back to keeping comics raw. Even HG books could be raw. :sumo:

Problem is that slabs = $$$ on certain books and they will probably still get submitted because of the monetary gain.

:blahblah:

Your opinion is just as full of mess as mine.

I got your eyeroll right here.

There are a couple of card grading companies and coin grading companies out there.

Do other branches of the Collectors Society have grading notes for their items? If so, does anyone know if they are provided at a charge? Just curious if this is a first in the world of slabbed collectables or if CGC is catching up to a practice that has been around for a while.

I don't know.

I would guess that coins and cards are pretty easy to see exactly what is going on. Someone smarter than me can probably answer this better.

:whistle:

pic4444.jpg

I agree. $15-30 a book is outrageous in light of what other services are available for a much lower price.

The majority of books they grade cost $30 or less, an encapsulation costs $12, etc.

The arbitrary number seems to be much more abrasive than the fact that they are charging for the service.

And I agree that a smaller fee would make the system much more appealing, much more accessible, much more inviting.

Additionally, I agree that it's unsavoury to me to have to pay an additional fee to know why my own book graded out as it did when I've already paid a fair grading fee for the service in the first place.

Finally, the 24 hour wait? If you're going to make it an online service then if it were me, I'd hire a data entry person and enter the data so that it is all available online.

The service would still be a money maker if done right for the long run.

At $15-30 a book for the more expensive tiers (with a 24 hour wait) I really think it's going to stall.

Maybe that's what they want.

hm

I agree. $15-30 a book is outrageous in light of what other services are available for a much lower price.

The majority of books they grade cost $30 or less, an encapsulation costs $12, etc.

The arbitrary number seems to be much more abrasive than the fact that they are charging for the service.

And I agree that a smaller fee would make the system much more appealing, much more accessible, much more inviting.

Additionally, I agree that it's unsavoury to me to have to pay an additional fee to know why my own book graded out as it did when I've already paid a fair grading fee for the service in the first place.

Finally, the 24 hour wait? If you're going to make it an online service then if it were me, I'd hire a data entry person and enter the data so that it is all available online.

The service would still be a money maker if done right for the long run.

At $15-30 a book for the more expensive tiers (with a 24 hour wait) I really think it's going to stall.

Maybe that's what they want.

hm

My guess is that they have already started entering the graders' notes (or already plan of hiring someone to enter all of this data), and it's just in the beginning stages and that's why there's a "24 hour" wait period. It only makes sense to spend the money to get all of those notes onto their database now, so the upkeep will be kept to a minimum.

It would actually be surprising if they didn't already have all of these notes on a database somewhere. hm