• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

I disagree. I know some people you might suspect would be high volume callers. They're not. I'm not sure it exists to any great degree. IMO, Occam's Razor says the change was caused by a desire to raise more $$ and spend less $$.

That's fair and I see your point. I could be wrong but I do think my speculation is based in some truth.

CGC has said that the graders have to give the notes because they are written in a shorthand/code that only the graders can decipher.

The Caltopia is upon us!

raiderbefore.jpg

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

At this point in the thread, now it's time to start speculating who ruined it for the rest of us!
Specious thinking. It's not likely anyone "ruined" it for the rest of us. This was a way to monetize a service already provided and lower labor costs. You haven't noticed a trend around here to increase revenue and lower costs?

I don't think my thinking is specious. It seems to be a 1+1=2 scenario.

Yes, they have been showing us the trend of cutting costs to increase revenue. All companies do this and they should do this (especially in today's environment).

However, some services wouldn't need to be cut back unless they are being abused and are eating into the bottom line.

I would be shocked if CGC wasn't getting calls all the time day after day with HG dealers or HG collectors who are constantly checking on a book and if it can be "upgraded".

Perhaps I am wrong in my thinking but it sure seems to me that the catalyst for the change was it was taxing to their bottom line. Casual collectors who call a few times a year were not the ones who cause CGC to think this particular service was such a burden that they need to charge $15 for online notes. It had to be abused for them to get to that point.

Otherwise, they could have just hired anyone to get on a phone and read graders notes to people who call. It's not like it would be a debate about the news. You get the notes and end of call. Why it had to be graders doing it is beyond me. Especially if it's because they are in some shorthand...that's plain ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really care much about the notes change because I called so infrequently. This change clearly affects those who called all the time and they know who they are.

:)

Frankly, I don't know anyone who "calls all the time". I think my calls to CGC for notes averaged....hmmmm....maybe 1 every 6-8 weeks. Probably took a whole of two minutes, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't qualify. Was the net effect of dozens of calls a day that grader's can't then get their work done? Yeah, probably, but that's why they have them in there late into the night and on the weekends.

BTW, on a somewhat related note, I just received grades on a Standard Magazine subscription that was received on April 11. Yesterday was April 26, so basically 10-11 business days where turnaround is estimated at 15 days. Guess they are at least keeping the regular tiers as up to date as possible. Contrast the $37 non discounted pricing for a Standard Mag you get graded in 10 days vs. an Economy comic that costs $35 and is currently shipping from the middle of December (4.5 months ago), and it almost makes more sense to send your comics in as Mags, provided you don't mind the larger holder. :P

Maybe I missed it, but are those prices per month (shrug)

This is what I had hoped. I would happily pay $15 or maybe $20 a month for unlimited access to online grading notes. If what they're looking for is a revenue stream - then this is the way to go. Many more would subscribe and the stream would be stronger and more consistent. I'm never going to pay $15 for one book's notes.... Just IMO.

At this point in the thread, now it's time to start speculating who ruined it for the rest of us!
Specious thinking. It's not likely anyone "ruined" it for the rest of us. This was a way to monetize a service already provided and lower labor costs. You haven't noticed a trend around here to increase revenue and lower costs?

I don't think my thinking is specious. It seems to be a 1+1=2 scenario.

Yes, they have been showing us the trend of cutting costs to increase revenue. All companies do this and they should do this (especially in today's environment).

However, some services wouldn't need to be cut back unless they are being abused and are eating into the bottom line.

I would be shocked if CGC wasn't getting calls all the time day after day with HG dealers or HG collectors who are constantly checking on a book and if it can be "upgraded".

Perhaps I am wrong in my thinking but it sure seems to me that the catalyst for the change was it was taxing to their bottom line. Casual collectors who call a few times a year were not the ones who cause CGC to think this particular service was such a burden that they need to charge $15 for online notes. It had to be abused for them to get to that point.

Otherwise, they could have just hired anyone to get on a phone and read graders notes to people who call. It's not like it would be a debate about the news. You get the notes and end of call. Why it had to be graders doing it is beyond me. Especially if it's because they are in some shorthand...that's plain ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really care much about the notes change because I called so infrequently. This change clearly affects those who called all the time and they know who they are.

:)

I agree. I think the main problem here was that they required that the graders were the only ones that could read the notes off of the screen. So - anytime someone would call - they were interrupted from grading. Why not allow the Customer Service reps to just read off the notes?

By the way - callers were limited to 3 notes per day - even the big time dealers.

I disagree. I know some people you might suspect would be high volume callers. They're not. I'm not sure it exists to any great degree. IMO, Occam's Razor says the change was caused by a desire to raise more $$ and spend less $$.

I think it's more this.

I too never understood why the graders had to give the notes. Didn't matter to me either way, but I always thought they could fill that position with anyone.

Also, I think that people thinking the phones get tied up by "CPR gang" is silly. The people playing that game know what to look for. There may be cases where the graders notes would be helpful for that (maybe a kid traced on an interior page?).

I called when there was a book I was considering (online) that I couldn't see all the defects from the scan. There are certain defects that I don't want on/in a book. It's nice to know that the 8.0 (that looks like a 9.4) of X book I'm considering has interior writing or a water stain or a torn pages. Some of those could be dealbreaker defects for certain people.

In my opinion grader notes should be free and open to anyone. To have to pay for info they have already been payed for to do sounds insane to me and the info should just be open to anyone in their database.

I liked the old way of just calling but do realize this is time consuming when they could be grading books so database is fine.

It helped both sellers and buyers the way it was before and thought that was the whole point of grading thru them.

Often a regular bag and board is not enough to protect a high grade bok.

Even the smallest tick can greatly affect the grade.

It ia possible that it was damaged during travel or handling as i have had that too. Now, i always use Mylars and full backs to ensure they are well protected from my end.

Yeah, it might cost a dollar or 2 per book but it's worth the extra $ in my books.

I recently priced out 1,000 Mylite2s and Fullbacks from Gerber for an upcoming reboarding project. With shipping, I'm looking at a cost of 39 cents per set for a pretty solid way to not only preserve and keep books, but also for transit to CGC. That's not bad at all.

someone should create a poll. I'm curious to see how many collectors/dealers would either pay a flat fee or a monthly fee for unlimited access to graders notes.

Nothing is stopping you from creating a poll.

someone should create a poll. I'm curious to see how many collectors/dealers would either pay a flat fee or a monthly fee for unlimited access to graders notes.

Excellent idea with one modification. Effective immediately, CGC will now be charging both a monthly fee as well as a flat per request fee. Thank you.

In my opinion grader notes should be free and open to anyone. To have to pay for info they have already been payed for to do sounds insane to me and the info should just be open to anyone in their database.

I agree. It's a no-brainer from an administrative cost reduction standpoint. Every time I call-in for notes, I'm routed to 3 different members of CGC's staff.

You could easily provide the same with an online tool/service at no charge to the caller, and with minimal/reduced operational costs to CGC.

I don't mind calling-in, but there should be an option to check online, especially in cases when they're closed (i.e. weekends).

+1

The only books Ive ever called on were my own submissions. Being they were 5 day turn arounds, I already paid nearly $100 per book anyway. To have to pay again for notes seems crazy

true - I'll give it a shot.

+1

The only books Ive ever called on were my own submissions. Being they were 5 day turn arounds, I already paid nearly $100 per book anyway. To have to pay again for notes seems crazy

+1 (:

I do think $10-$15 a month for unlimited access would fairly compensate them and insure that the graders/CS employees aren't unduly burdened. But I would be tempted to push the envelope on that sweet, sweet CPR cash as well.

So would it be okay to create a website and have people "submit" their notes on comics they have for all to view if they so desire? Yes, it will require someone to get the notes to start with before sharing. Or will that be more of a "I paid for the notes, why should I give them away for free? You want them, you pay for them." Just curious what everybody's take would be. Me personally, I have a grand total of 12 CGC books, so I don't have too big a dog in the fight. :)

true - I'll give it a shot.

Nicely done. :golfclap:

I do think $10-$15 a month for unlimited access would fairly compensate them and insure that the graders/CS employees aren't unduly burdened. But I would be tempted to push the envelope on that sweet, sweet CPR cash as well.

The problem with the unlimited access thing is that people could join forces, pay a buck each per month, and get the notes. That's why they are doing it pay as you go.

Also, it's another way to discourage people from learning the CGC grading method. It's too cost prohibitive now.

The prices are just way too high. I won't be using it.