• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Monetarily it didn't do so good. Estimates are coming in at between 90-92 million for the weekend. Weaker than Cap 2's opening weekend of 95+. If we expect a 50% loss on second weekend and an even bigger drop the following weekends (Godzilla and X-Men are going to destroy) then the movie will be lucky to break $250 million, if that. Not a strong sign, given the budget + Marketing costs.

correct. given the $425MM+ production and marketing costs, will not break even on BO receipts even if it does $550MM Int'l.

Monetarily it didn't do so good. Estimates are coming in at between 90-92 million for the weekend. Weaker than Cap 2's opening weekend of 95+. If we expect a 50% loss on second weekend and an even bigger drop the following weekends (Godzilla and X-Men are going to destroy) then the movie will be lucky to break $250 million, if that. Not a strong sign, given the budget + Marketing costs.

correct. given the $425MM+ production and marketing costs, will not break even on BO receipts even if it does $550MM Int'l.

Where is that $425 MM production and marketing cost coming from?

UPDATED BOX OFFICE: ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Casts $92M Web; ‘The Other Woman’ Holding Strong; ‘Rio2′ Passes $100M

The production budget is said to be around $255M, with about $185M-$190M spent on marketing. That means all in it needs to make well over $752.2M worldwide (which is what the first installment grossed). About 65% of that came internationally.

Does that mean in addition to the $255 MM + $185-190 MM?

I give it a solid "B."

Wasn't perfect and the villains were either silly or their development rushed (per numerous comments) but Gwen and Peter's relationship was the glue of the movie and that delivered in spades. I believed his struggle, her maturity and their very teenage angst driven on again, off again relationship.

I was honestly surprised that they allowed Gwen to die, while central to comic lore and the development of Mr. Parker into an epic hero, Emma Stone is a HUGE draw for viewership.

Everything isn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece. I was entertained and that is why I go to the movies, to be entertained.

rantrant

I wish there was more positivity around comic movies on the boards. We live in an exciting time, many of our favorite characters are getting reimagined on the silver screen and enthralling an entire new generation of "true believers." These movies help secure the future of our cherished heroes (and the value of our comics I might add) for at least another generation. That is enough for me.

:grin:

100 percent agree. This really is the golden age for comic book heroes!

They have come of age, and now dominate the mainstream box office!

With repeating showings of these movies to millions of new fans on Netflix, TNT, SPIKE, FX and TBS. These iconic heroes will be around for a long time!

UPDATED BOX OFFICE: ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Casts $92M Web; ‘The Other Woman’ Holding Strong; ‘Rio2′ Passes $100M

The production budget is said to be around $255M, with about $185M-$190M spent on marketing. That means all in it needs to make well over $752.2M worldwide (which is what the first installment grossed). About 65% of that came internationally.

yes

yes

OMG!

Financially, this may be Sony's lesson learned for not focusing more on a stronger story.

yes

OMG!

Financially, this may be Sony's lesson learned for not focusing more on a stronger story.

Who cares if this movie makes it's money back? :shrug:

It's a licensed property that will make a billion dollars in merchandising until the next one. Think t-shirts, Halloween costumes (multiple villian choices), video games, dvd/blu ray sales, back to school stuff (binders, portofolios, pens, etc), soundtracks, cable rights sale (which could be upwards $120 million), birthday party favors, it's a really endless amount of Amazing Spidey 2 junk we will see in the next two-three years. :P

Sony. The executive producers. The director. The writers. Among others. They have a golden goose of a franchise and their job is pretty simple: don't screw it up. After two films, they haven't screwed it up, but they haven't hit it out of the park. This Webb-Garfield era Spidey is reminding me more and more of the first two FF films. Yes, those were worse, but similar symptoms: classic stories that are being mis-told/mis-interpreted, things are rushed, no special or memorable quality to the films.

I give it a solid "B."

Wasn't perfect and the villains were either silly or their development rushed (per numerous comments) but Gwen and Peter's relationship was the glue of the movie and that delivered in spades. I believed his struggle, her maturity and their very teenage angst driven on again, off again relationship.

I was honestly surprised that they allowed Gwen to die, while central to comic lore and the development of Mr. Parker into an epic hero, Emma Stone is a HUGE draw for viewership.

Everything isn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece. I was entertained and that is why I go to the movies, to be entertained.

rantrant

I wish there was more positivity around comic movies on the boards. We live in an exciting time, many of our favorite characters are getting reimagined on the silver screen and enthralling an entire new generation of "true believers." These movies help secure the future of our cherished heroes (and the value of our comics I might add) for at least another generation. That is enough for me.

There is plenty of positivity around comic book adaptions on the board. Everyday a thread pops up following a newly announced television series or major motion picture. People post about everything from casting rumors to the most insignificant things because we're all excited and drooling with anticipation to see the next comic book adaption. There's some negativity in this thread because a few people (including myself) just weren't a fan of this particular film.

I give it a solid "B."

rantrant

There is plenty of positivity around comic book adaptions on the board. Everyday a thread pops up following a newly announced television series or major motion picture. People post about everything from casting rumors to the most insignificant things because we're all excited and drooling with anticipation to see the next comic book adaption. There's some negativity in this thread because a few people (including myself) just weren't a fan of this particular film.

Hmm, I definitely get the feeling that there would be more followers of the Dark side around here than then other way around...

(shrug)

No big deal! :grin:

Sony. The executive producers. The director. The writers. Among others. They have a golden goose of a franchise and their job is pretty simple: don't screw it up. After two films, they haven't screwed it up, but they haven't hit it out of the park. This Webb-Garfield era Spidey is reminding me more and more of the first two FF films. Yes, those were worse, but similar symptoms: classic stories that are being mis-told/mis-interpreted, things are rushed, no special or memorable quality to the films.

The better Sony does with this franchise, the more the chance we will see additional movies. But I would rather see them if they are stellar. At least with movies coming out of Marvel it is managed by leadership which believes in their product and understands the importance of a solid -script and character development.

You need someone fanatical over the character like Sam Raimi. Even in the HBO 'making of' special, I remember him talking about the impact the comics had on his childhood (3:58 to 4:20). I just wish he had gone with the test Green Goblin face mask versus that crazy helmut.

That's what Spidey needs. Someone that has been influenced by the old stories, and is a fellow fanatic that gets the character and his universe.

yes

OMG!

It's a licensed property that will make a billion dollars in merchandising until the next one. Think t-shirts, Halloween costumes (multiple villian choices), video games, dvd/blu ray sales, back to school stuff (binders, portofolios, pens, etc), soundtracks, cable rights sale (which could be upwards $120 million), birthday party favors, it's a really endless amount of Amazing Spidey 2 junk we will see in the next two-three years. :P

The problem for Sony is that they gave the merchandising rights back to Disney/Marvel, so Sony has to make all of their money on the movie itself. Disney makes all profit from the merchandising.

yes

OMG!

The problem for Sony is that they gave the merchandising rights back to Disney/Marvel, so Sony has to make all of their money on the movie itself. Disney makes all profit from the merchandising.

WOW....I did not know that. That's huge...

WOW....I did not know that. That's huge...

Wow indeed!

Sony Forced To Sell The Merchandising Rights For Spider-Man; Could The Movie Rights Be Next?

You know things are bad when Spider-Man – who not so long ago made a literal deal with the Devil in his comic book adventures to restore his ailing Aunt May to health – heads out of the door. However, the ¥21.4 billion ($278 million) sale of of Spider-Man merchandising rights was a rare bright spot in Sony’s Q2, announced today (Wednesday). The outperformance of ‘The Smurfs’ was another bright spot, for Sony if not for civilisation as a whole.

Saw the movie last night.

I enjoyed it very much.

Gwen and Peter you could actually feel the relationship growing, and ASM #121 was in full effect especially if you freeze frame and see the clock time on blu ray when it comes out. :whistle:

Is this the best comic book movie of all time? Well no, but it certainly wasn't a turd.

Very nice special effects, and the C level villains did just enough to not be over done like they were in Spider-man 3.

Garfield again proves why he outclasses Tobey in every which way as PP/Spider-man.

Excited for the Sinister 6, and more of Ultimate Spider-man style Spidey (so sorry for you old heads that want Ditko/Romita Spidey)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I enjoyed it very much.

Gwen and Peter you could actually feel the relationship growing, and ASM #121 was in full effect especially if you freeze frame and see the clock time on blu ray when it comes out. :whistle:

Is this the best comic book movie of all time? Well no, but it certainly wasn't a turd.

Very nice special effects, and the C level villains did just enough to not be over done like they were in Spider-man 3.

Garfield again proves why he outclasses Tobey in every which way as PP/Spider-man.

Excited for the Sinister 6, and more of Ultimate Spider-man style Spidey (so sorry for you old heads that want Ditko/Romita Spidey)

Only 27 of your last 50 posts were in various Spiderman 2 threads....

I expect more from you!

I enjoyed it very much.

I don't want Ditko/Romita Spidey really...(grew up on McSpidey myself)

Is it too much to ask for villains that are not utter garbage? Unfortunately that's all this reboot has crapped out.

It's too bad, because Spiderman/Gwen are so well done.

I enjoyed it very much.

I don't want Ditko/Romita Spidey really...(grew up on McSpidey myself)

Is it too much to ask for villains that are not utter garbage? Unfortunately that's all this reboot has crapped out.

It's too bad, because Spiderman/Gwen are so well done.

I hear year but what villains besides a couple are A list are there really? (shrug)

The 3 A-list villains will be back for yea in the next two movies no?

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I give it a solid "B."

rantrant

Hmm, I definitely get the feeling that there would be more followers of the Dark side around here than then other way around...

(shrug)

No big deal! :grin:

There will always be negativity though. We all have images of how these characters will look. It never turns out right. The same thing happens when books get made into films. The big difference with comics is many of us have read Spider-Man- or the like- every month for a majority of our lives. The picture we have is even more concrete than any book.

It is why there is also a lot of negativity around new comics here too. People just don't like change, obviously. I'm always reminded of an Uncle Ben quote, "If you're not changing then you're not alive." I don't think that is actually an Uncle Ben quote, but the first time I saw it he was saying it in a Spidey comic.

One thing to note though, most people here raced out and saw the film. Heck I was fairly negative about the film a week ago but I still saw it first thing Saturday morning.