• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

:facepalm: That voice is the most annoying thing I have ever heard. I'd rather watch Gwen and Peters' romance scenes over and over and over again, then to hear one more second of that guy. wow.

You'd only have to see the movie once and you'll get that.

The character is not being knocked down, the plummet is a reflection of the poor execution of the director, writers and culminating with Garfield, who is not just a poor choice for Peter Parker but a below average actor to begin with.
. . . what the heck is that accent he's using (to cover the british one) - it doesn't sound like a guy from NYC.

I just came back from seeing this with Mrs. CC, and I have to say ASM 2 is a winner!

First of all my expectations were low because of the ASM 2 CGI trailers, the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, and my lukewarm feelings of ASM 1.

Speaking of ASM 1 let`s get this straight!

ASM 2 is way better then ASM 1.

Now lets look at why I liked ASM 2 so much.

In ASM 1 we didn`t really care about the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man.

Here in ASM 2 he wins us over. We care about him,we care about his parent`s, and most of all we care about Gwen.

The villians of ASM 2 are way more interesting then the boring Lizard.

In fact there are times when Electro and the Green Goblin are downright scary.

To take it a step further Dane Dehaan steals the movie as the Green Goblin.

http://images.moviefanatic.com/iu/t_xlarge_l/v1389293924/dane-dehaan-the-

While I am glad you liked the movie but after re-reading your review I guess what I still don't get is what about ASM 1 you didn't like.

I get people thought that main villain was lame, but guess what so is the real lizard back in the 1960's. (shrug) I actually thought the actor who played Dr Connors did an amazing job, and the CGI was just fine with me. I mean lets give these first 2 movies some credit here since they used what 3 C-list villains without going to the main 3 just yet. 1. Venom 2. Green Goblin (Norman) 3 Doc Ock

Garfield is by far the better actor and person to play the part over Tobey.

I am very critical and outspoken so when it comes to people not enjoying Garfield as Spider-man/PP I shake my head probably the most ever since joining the boards.

Yep I have actually went back and have re-watched ASM 1 to find it much better then I had remembered it. I think it had come out in the same time period as Nolan`s Dark Knight Rises, and that kind of biased my opinion.

The Lizard CGI special effects were not up to the high standards of the Avengers CGI, so that is what turned me off about the Lizard. You are right in that the Dr. Conners scenes were well played. (thumbs u

Garfield set to me the highest possible standard for the character that Tobey never achieved.

I agree completely, best on screen Spiderman yet.

Considering we haven't seen any of the real big villains yet to me makes these movies quite interesting actually.

"Real big villains"? Like half of the Sinister Six? :eyeroll:

I never said this was the best comic movie of all time, but I enjoyed it enough not to think it was horrible.

I also enjoyed it enough, to "not think it was horrible". That's quite a high bar you've set.

The fact is this movie showed the most amazing Spider-man fight and swinging scenes to date, yes?

The video game graphics were fine. Story and acting are the issues.

C-Level villains on film were just that, what did you expect?

A villain portrayal that was not embarrassingly bad. Maybe one was more than just a bad cliche'. (shrug)

I am sorry your expectations are set too high. (shrug)

One man's mediocrity is another man's excellence. Enjoy (thumbs u

I think the Sony executives bonus check will be just fine from this movie. Sucks they can't get two extra cars instead of three.

Since you know they aren't happy with the opening weekend receipts, may as well change the topic. Yep, they sure are rich.

Spider-man only has a couple A-list villains, so I wouldn't consider most of the Sinister 6 to be a big deal until they are in fact together as a group.

I thought Spidey's rogue's gallery is generally held in esteem as one of the best. I would be interested to see if others feel the same as you.

I would say of the villains featured so far, only Rhino is B-List. Even still his 5 minutes of total screen time was actually some of the film's best.

Don't get me wrong I consider Raimi's Spider-man #2 the best Spider-man film of all time by far, but I am still really enjoying Webb's take as well. I am sure they will hear the criticism and try to rectify going forward.

I think Webb is really good at the relationship stuff. The best of the film is the Peter/Gwen

I have nothing against Webb. 500 Days of Summer is really good. I don't think he has the clout, quite yet, to stand up to the powers that be at Sony, and really bring his story to the screen.

To me Rhino and Electro were just in the film so there would be some action sequences, but the overall plot of this movie was Gwen and Harry which I thought they did very well with.

Gwen and Peter were handled very well. I don't think they handled the Goblin character well at all...and Harry did not have a realistic character arc, at all. Especially considering his whole 40mins he was on screen.

Now if they mess up Venom yet again then you will hear me rant.

Of course they will :)

Spider-man and Batman have the best rogue gallery which I assume everyone agrees on. (X-men would be 3rd place). So for your question I am saying that most superheroes have 1 or 2 A-list followed by a bunch of jobbers, so being a B or C-list is still fairly good behind Spiderman's premiere villains.

Spider-man IMO category list:

Green Goblin (A-List)

Doc Ock (A-List)

Venom (A-List)

Scorpion (B-List)-IMO the Villain who should have been on film well before Electro

Rhino (B-List)

Carnage (B-List)

Kraven (B-List)-who I really want to see on screen

Hobgoblin (B-List)

Sandman (B-List)

Spider Slayers (B-List)

The Chameleon (B-List)

Vulture (C-List)

Mysterio (C-List)-cool visual on screen I would like to see

Electro (C-List)

Lizard (C-List)

Molten Man (C-List)

Shocker (C-List)

Hammerhead (C-List)

The Jackal (C-List)

Tarantula (C-List)

The rest are jobbers.....

***Kingpin I really associate now with Daredevil***

So sure I agree Spider-man has one of the best Rogue Galleries so like I said I find it interesting to me that I enjoy these two movies so far with C-list villains at the helm. However seeing one of Spider-man's all time supporting cast of friends new on the screen with Gwen helped.

Kraven is A-List.

If Marvel adapts Last Hunt they have a huge hit on their hands.

kravenhousead1987.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Kraven is A-List.

IF Marvel adapts Last Hunt they have a huge hit on their hands.

kravenhousead1987.jpg

Sony probably will do what it can to never release these rights. But if Marvel is smart to take advantage of its toy rights, it would do all it could to 'guide' Sony towards a successful Last Hunt -script and movie. It would only benefit Marvel from movie profits and toy sales.

Kraven is A-List.

IF Marvel adapts Last Hunt they have a huge hit on their hands.

kravenhousead1987.jpg

Sony probably will do what it can to never release these rights. But if Marvel is smart to take advantage of its toy rights, it would do all it could to 'guide' Sony towards a successful Last Hunt -script and movie. It would only benefit Marvel from movie profits and toy sales.

This current Spider-Man director couldn't do a Last Hunt movie any justice.

Of course ASM 2 had its problems, but I really enjoyed it. Going to see it again in the coming week.

I'm honestly curious to know how many people complaining actually saw it vs. how many have just read all the negative comments and/or reviews. I know people have commented on here saying they did see it, but others state they're not watching it because of X.

Edited by chaseman210

Of course ASM 2 had its problems, but I really enjoyed it. Going to see it again in the coming week.

I'm honestly curious to how many people complaining actually saw it vs. how many have just read all the negative comments and/or reviews. I know people have commented on here saying they did see it, but others state they're not watching it because of X.

hm

I'm honestly curious to how many people complaining actually saw it vs. how many have just read all the negative comments and/or reviews. I know people have commented on here saying they did see it, but others state they're not watching it because of X.

I watched it last Friday and gave it a 6/10. I gave ASM 1 a 5/10 on these boards. After the passage of 4 days, I would downgrade ASM2 to a 5/10. There really was no story, apart from the subplot of Peter trying to stay away from Gwen without success. What Sony and the production designers did with the Rhino, Electro and Green Goblin outfits was shameful. Paul Giamatti, an excellent actor, must be fuming for the less than one minute of face time he got, sitting in that stupid Rhino machine (really a Spider Slayer, right?). Dr Manhattan, I mean Electro, was a bit of a joke. Eccentric utility employee has his feelings hurt, falls into a vat of electic eels and, poof!, Electro is going to make Spidey pay. And then getting rid of Norman pretty quickly before you got to know him and, poof!, son Harry is now the GG in an abysmal-looking outfit. I can go on an on but I won't.

I watched it last Friday and gave it a 6/10. I gave ASM 1 a 5/10 on these boards. After the passage of 4 days, I would downgrade ASM2 to a 5/10. There really was no story, apart from the subplot of Peter trying to stay away from Gwen without success. What Sony and the production designers did with the Rhino, Electro and Green Goblin outfits was shameful. Paul Giamatti, an excellent actor, must be fuming for the less than one minute of face time he got, sitting in that stupid Rhino machine (really a Spider Slayer, right?). Dr Manhattan, I mean Electro, was a bit of a joke. Eccentric utility employee has his feelings hurt, falls into a vat of electic eels and, poof!, Electro is going to make Spidey pay. And then getting rid of Norman pretty quickly before you got to know him and, poof!, son Harry is now the GG in an abysmal-looking outfit. I can go on an on but I won't.

At least your opinion is based on you actually watching the movie and giving it a chance. And based on 6/10 and 5/10 you enjoyed it some. It just seemed like more people were bashing it without watching it themselves.

I'm honestly curious to know how many people complaining actually saw it vs. how many have just read all the negative comments and/or reviews. I know people have commented on here saying they did see it, but others state they're not watching it because of X.

I am not complaining, but I do think what I have seen of this movie looks awful. I thought the trailers looked terrible. The 26 minute youtube review posted a page previous highlights things that would definitely bother me.

I will wait until it comes to Netflix and watch it then.

I am not complaining, but I do think what I have seen of this movie looks awful. I thought the trailers looked terrible. The 26 minute youtube review posted a page previous highlights things that would definitely bother me.

I will wait until it comes to Netflix and watch it then.

This.

We'll see how this turns out.

BOX OFFICE: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Set To Drop To #2 After Only One Week At #1

It was obvious that it likely wouldn't beat Godzilla two weeks after opening, but to drop so quickly - and to a comedy - is not exactly a good sign! With a projected $35 - $40 million debut likely for Neighbors, a 60+% drop means that the Marc Webb helmed sequel looks set to fall short and finish next weekend at #2.

Internationally, the movie continues to perform well (its spent three weeks at the top of the UK box office for example), but this and the tepid reviews could lead to Sony re-evaluating their Spider-Man plans...

That would be sad if one of the most recognized comic book heroes gets knocked down so quickly at the box office.

ASM $42MM+ this weekend will squeak out a victory. Godzilla would have stomped it flat.

I would be surprised if Sony doesn't yank Webb from this franchise. The pitch count on Webb is 0-2.

People are very split on this. Webb is getting things accurate from the comics. Ex. the webshooters, the personality, the movements of Spidey, and best of all that suit in the recent movie. He was also able to show Peter's intelligence and especially Gwen's in this past movie as well