• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

Ultimates Vol 3 - Jeph Loeb doh!

Yeah, I picked up the first one of that. Maybe even the second. Didn't like it.

And I like a lot of his stuff.

I also didn't like the Joe Mad art.

Loeb seems to be love and hate by run. He has some stuff that is truly incredible. Then he has some stuff that is rubbish. There is no happy middle.

Apparently a 'major' Spidey character will make a return tomorrow.

Oh is that what the speculation is?… Intrigueing. Ben Reilly?

I wonder if it will just bring back a physical body for Doctor Octopus. I hope they don't go that route.

Edited by Official Chris S.

I'm not a huge DC reader, but weren't people pissed at Johns when he came onto Green Lantern because he all over the continuity and put Hal back in? I know it ended up being good (like Ultimate) but didn't he perform a giant retcon to put Hal back?

As Chuck said, Johns is good and has a great grasp of the source material (I think Mark Waid is another guy that's good at that).

What he did with GL was outstanding. He cleaned up a big mess with a retcon that worked really well, fit into everything that happened before and still made you :o

Good comparison. It's weird to think Mark Waid is still kind of under rated. One of the most consistently good writers in comics for almost 30 years!

I wonder if it will just bring back a physical body for Doctor Octopus. I hope they don't go that route.

Somebody who has been gone a long time.

I guessed it and then I looked. Yep. Just silly.

I guessed it and then I looked. Yep. Just silly.

Just saw the spoiler thread in CG. Predictable and silly.

That's why the Ultimate line was good. They just re-used stories that worked the first time. Hard to do something original when nearly everything has been done already with the characters.

To be fair, without reading what is to happen in ASM, I would have thought that bringing back Bucky Barnes would be the worst idea ever yet it turned into a masterpiece of modern comics.

Slott is a pretty good writer.

I think Slott has the ability to be a good writer and he gets Peter. However, he doesn't take any time to show it. It is just over the top event after over the top event. We get huge stretches without even seeing Peter.

It is a shame- after his Spider-Man/Human Torch mini I had high hopes for his run.

I think Slott has the ability to be a good writer and he gets Peter. However, he doesn't take any time to show it. It is just over the top event after over the top event. We get huge stretches without even seeing Peter.

It is a shame- after his Spider-Man/Human Torch mini I had high hopes for his run.

Before he started doing all of this over the top event stuff, ASM was a 45,000 print run book. Now it's a 100,000+ print run.

I guess people are getting what they want.

Before he started doing all of this over the top event stuff, ASM was a 45,000 print run book. Now it's a 100,000+ print run.

I guess people are getting what they want.

Yea but ASM was also three times a month then. The numbers don't mean a lot.

And I'm not saying Slott's run has been bad. It's been fun- just not as good as I'd hoped.

Chuck let's head down to Sony studios and pitch our version of Spiderman

Let's call it "turn off the dark"

Spider-man has much more competition now as, before it was just Super-Man and Batman.

Now he has successful competition from the Power Rangers and Ben-10 models.

The age group that use to just like Spider-Man has found other characters just as interesting.

I don`t think Spider-Man will ever be number one again.

Yawn. In 1997, I'm sure someone was saying the same thing about Batman.

You know, Batman?

Who in 2008 had the competition of Iron Man 1, Hulk, Indiana Jones, Twilight, Quantum of Solance, Will Smith as Hancock, and Wanted, blowing them all out of the water as the highest grossing solo Super Hero movie ever.

Great ideas are there. It's all about execution.

To compare Batman`s current popularity to Spider-Man`s is just silly. :baiting:

It goes much beyond the Batman Nolan Trilogy.

The reason why Batman has surpassed Spider-Man is

Batman has a much more interesting of body of work these last 25 years to fall back on. There has been more new great ideas in the Batman mythos created. Batman grew, while Spider-Man stagnated.

Examples are

Batman_-_Dark_Knight_Returns_1.jpg

Batman_404.jpg

BATMAN_HUSH_VOL.jpg

500px-Batman-_Night_of_the_Owls.jpg

Batman_The_Long_Halloween_TP.jpg

Batman_-_The_Killing_Joke.jpg

batman.png

Compared to Spider-Man having only this big critics hit in 25 years.

250px-Spider294.jpg

Batman has way more modern important story arks, while Spider-Man is still rehashing old stories.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Chuck let's head down to Sony studios and pitch our version of Spiderman

Let's call it "turn off the dark"

Spider-man has much more competition now as, before it was just Super-Man and Batman.

Now he has successful competition from the Power Rangers and Ben-10 models.

The age group that use to just like Spider-Man has found other characters just as interesting.

I don`t think Spider-Man will ever be number one again.

Yawn. In 1997, I'm sure someone was saying the same thing about Batman.

You know, Batman?

Who in 2008 had the competition of Iron Man 1, Hulk, Indiana Jones, Twilight, Quantum of Solance, Will Smith as Hancock, and Wanted, blowing them all out of the water as the highest grossing solo Super Hero movie ever.

Great ideas are there. It's all about execution.

To compare Batman`s current popularity to Spider-Man`s is just silly. :baiting:

Uh, no it isn't.

Even without the benefit of adjusting for inflation (as the first Raimi Spider-man is now 13 years old), and even without the benefit of a greatly EXPANDED foreign market, and without the benefit of jacked up IMAX prices (though #3 had it) - the first three Raimi movies rank as the 4th, 5th, and 6th highest grossing solo superhero movies EVER.

EVER.

In fact, if you adjust for inflation, the first Raimi Spider-man did $1.07 billion worldwide to the Dark Knight's $1.10 billion (adjusted).

Pretty much even.

You keep trying to make excuses for ASM and ASM2.

Those movies didn't work. Plain and simple.

It goes much beyond the Batman Nolan Trilogy.

Until they make a Spider-man movie that can compare to the Nolan Trilogy, then no, it doesn't.

The reason why Batman has surpassed Spider-Man is

Batman has a much more interesting of body of work these last 25 years to fall back on. There has been more new great ideas in the Batman mythos created. Batman grew, while Spider-Man stagnated.

Examples are

I agree, but... they haven't used any of those stories for the movies, so what does it matter?

It has nothing to do with the movies. You make a great Spider-man movie, and people will show up for it.

Raimi made (2) solid Spider-man movies and they did 1.07 billion (adjusted) and $979 million (adjusted) worldwide, BEFORE the expansion of the foreign markets, and before the inflated IMAX prices.

Batman Begins did $452 million worldwide in 2005 (adjusted and with IMAX dollars), but it helped that franchise grow, because it was a better representation of the character than the previous 2 movies had been.

All of those comics you listed came out before any of those movies... and yeah, they were much better than what was going on in the Spider-man comics, but the MOVIES still filled the seats, regardless of what was going on in the comic books.

To do $1 billion worldwide, it's not about the getting comic nerds to fill the seats, it's about getting the people who normally wouldn't see a Batman or Spider-man movie to show up. And they could care less about the comic or the video game.

ASM and ASM2 didn't get enough of those people, because the movies just didn't work. It wasn't the Spider-man that the masses wanted to see. Even WITH the expanded foreign market money (which saved ASM2 from becoming a complete disaster) and the inflated IMAX prices, they still under performed.

Because the NON-comic people just weren't interested.

Batman has way more modern important story arks, while Spider-Man is still rehashing old stories.

Spider-man has been written incorrectly for a good 20+ years... and it still sells on par with Batman.

But if you make a movie that sucks, the non-comic people aren't going to go see it.

Has nothing to do with the comics.

Non Comic people is the target audience. This is why most if not all the decisions are made.

This is the difference between a bust and a blockbuster.

I agree that this is where AsM2 failed but as a movie of one of my favorite characters I liked it.

Until they make a Spider-man movie that can compare to the Nolan Trilogy, then no, it doesn't.

Didn't your post pretty much point out that they already did make the trilogy? And before the Nolan trilogy even?

I said: Raimi made (2) solid Spider-man movies and they did 1.07 billion (adjusted) and $979 million (adjusted) worldwide, BEFORE the expansion of the foreign markets, and before the inflated IMAX prices.

If they ever make a GREAT Spider-man movie, it'll be the biggest solo superhero movie ever.