• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

All you "I've never seen 2001" guys are in luck.

It's being re-released. Nov. 28.

New trailer is perfection...

This movie is extremely slow by today's movie standards. I wouldn't mind seeing it at the theater, but I don't see my kids wanting to sit through this. Even I fell asleep the last time I saw it on TV.

The special effects were ground breaking at the time this movie came out. I appreciate that. But the time the camera focuses on those effects go on forever and ever.

Clint Eastwood movies are still slow. lol

It's all about the anticipation though, and 70's movies were like that. I'm looking forward to it!

From the recent Sony hacking leading to multiple internal documents being leaked.

Sony Hack Reveals SPIDER-MAN & MEN IN BLACK Internal Discussions

--------------------

There's even an internal discussion about the Spider-Man and Men In Black comic book movie franchises. These complaints appear to be two separate discussions from the same person.

Are you aware that Men In Black 3 may gross $600M at the box office, and yet will lose money for SPE? Shouldn't we question that strategy? Why are some studios making Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight - and we are considering movies like Moneyball, Steve Jobs story, Captain Phillips Story, Evel Knievel story, etc. Are you aware that SPE only has 1 franchise - Spiderman. Yet, it took 5 years to generate a sequel? Spidey 3 was released in summer 2007, #4 in 2012. Don't harry potters come out over 2-3 years?

Are you aware that SPE has only 1 franchise - Spidey? Yet we waited 5 years after Spidey 3 (2007) to release #4? Have you read the SEC annual report? Disney will make $300M on Spidey merchandise this year alone. We won't!

--------------------

So even employees of Sony are disappointed in its movies and business decisions.

From the recent Sony hacking leading to multiple internal documents being leaked.

Sony Hack Reveals SPIDER-MAN & MEN IN BLACK Internal Discussions

--------------------

There's even an internal discussion about the Spider-Man and Men In Black comic book movie franchises. These complaints appear to be two separate discussions from the same person.

Are you aware that Men In Black 3 may gross $600M at the box office, and yet will lose money for SPE? Shouldn't we question that strategy? Why are some studios making Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight - and we are considering movies like Moneyball, Steve Jobs story, Captain Phillips Story, Evel Knievel story, etc. Are you aware that SPE only has 1 franchise - Spiderman. Yet, it took 5 years to generate a sequel? Spidey 3 was released in summer 2007, #4 in 2012. Don't harry potters come out over 2-3 years?

Are you aware that SPE has only 1 franchise - Spidey? Yet we waited 5 years after Spidey 3 (2007) to release #4? Have you read the SEC annual report? Disney will make $300M on Spidey merchandise this year alone. We won't!

--------------------

So even employees of Sony are disappointed in its movies and business decisions.

lol Sony should just give up the movie biz and return the spidey film rights to his rightful owners.

Garfield looks like he is 32. I checked. He is 31. I watched half an hour on a big screen TV and it was all I could stand for a while. I didn't care that much about Peter Parker's problems. I checked rotten tomatoes and that seemed to be the big complaint-- the critics didn't care much about his problems either. Uncle Ben's death is worth the time. Missing graduation isn't.

James Horner Didn't Score AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Because It Was "Just Dreadful"

-----------------

JHFM: So The Amazing Spider-Man was quite unusual for you, it was probably the director's personality that brought you to this project, because he had a different vision for this film?

JAMES HORNER: He was very inexperienced and he and I had a very good relationship and the producers had their own opinion. And they didn't want his input. And then Sony had their own, they just wanted action. To me, the whole thing about doing the movie was I liked the director and there was a chance to write something for the two lead characters and then she dies in the next movie. But the next movie ended up being so terrible, I didn't want to do it. It was just dreadful.

-----------------

That says something when even a composer wants nothing to do with a movie.

I can see how some people could enjoy this movie, but for me, the franchise just went into the wrong direction for me to recommend (like when the follow-up to A Fish Called Wanda morphed into Fierce Creatures).

Fierce Creatures wasn't a sequal, so not sure what that has to do with this (shrug)

The storyline they chose to go with in Amazing Spider-Man 2 should have made it one of the best comic book movies. Instead they made something borderline poor. The people who are running the series can't be fans of Spider-Man and those #121 and #122 issues. The only thing making the movie watchable are the effects and casting of Peter and Gwen.

personally, I think that Spider-Man suffers from set expectations. Everyone has their "own" Spider-man movie and anything less is just going to suffer.

Can those expectations be beat by a great vision/-script/director, yes look at Nolan's Batman etc

I'm sure if I were to ask 100 spider-man fans to write their movie, I'd have 100 different story lines.

What I find the funniest is that everyone wants the classic Spider-Man tale and not this "ultimate" spider-man, yet the Marvel Cinematic Universe (FYI - does anyone get tired of hearing this?) is following much of the "ultimate" or modern versions of for their movies.

What I find the funniest is that everyone wants the classic Spider-Man tale and not this "ultimate" spider-man, yet the Marvel Cinematic Universe (FYI - does anyone get tired of hearing this?) is following much of the "ultimate" or modern versions of for their movies.

I feel like saying "Ultimate" is like saying modernized. They couldn't tell the AF 15 story because it is very dated. Instead they modernized it and along the way adapted some of the Ultimate universe stuff, but in all honesty it was very little of it.

I just don't see a lot of Ultimate Peter in Garfield.

I never read the Ultimate Spider-Man. I can't recall what put me off it. But how difficult can it be to get the basics of Spider-Man right? The original trilogy removed the web shooters because I think they thought it wasn't realistic that Peter could make something a company couldn't. They switched Gwen with MJ. They weren't brave enough to use that brilliant practical Green Goblin makeup. Part 3 put in Gwen and Venom just to do it, with really little thought about the characters.

The new series didn't realize the strength of the Peter and Gwen leads. That's something you stretch out over a trilogy. They are in a hurry to get to the Sinister Six for a big event film to compare to the Marvel Avengers movies. But the setup isn't there.

The good stories are in the comics. There is no need to make versions that are lesser. I read a few reviews comparing Amazing Spider-Man 2 to a 90s superhero movie. And it does feel that way at times. There is a good long review that breaks down everything wrong with the movie. It's not comical like those youtube trailers either. But a thoughtful look at the -script and story.

Edited by GeneticNinja

personally, I think that Spider-Man suffers from set expectations. Everyone has their "own" Spider-man movie and anything less is just going to suffer.

Can those expectations be beat by a great vision/-script/director, yes look at Nolan's Batman etc

I'm sure if I were to ask 100 spider-man fans to write their movie, I'd have 100 different story lines.

Those classic Spider-Man stories are like the classic Star Wars in that people know them by heart, so any change to the story gets people quite upset. It makes them think they`re messing with the story.

Again if people knew that ASM 2 was more based on Ultimate Spider-Man things might have turned out different.

Look at Rhino and Electro as examples.

Classic Rhino

romitacostume9.jpg

Classic Electro

ElectroASMAnn1.gif

Ultimate Electro

Ultimate_Spider_Man_Vol_1_159_Maxwell_Dillon_(Earth-1610).jpg

Ultimate Rhino

1124479-rhino__28ultimate_29_001.jpg

i saw the favorite moments thread and was going to post an asm2 scene but it was too long (10 minutes) so here it is. I don't get how this isn't Spider-man (more so than tobey's version)

sure the rhino villain is silly, but isn't spider-man a little silly sometimes

iframe>

Those classic Spider-Man stories are like the classic Star Wars in that people know them by heart, so any change to the story gets people quite upset. It makes them think they`re messing with the story.

Again if people knew that ASM 2 was more based on Ultimate Spider-Man things might have turned out different.

Look at Rhino and Electro as examples.

Classic Rhino

romitacostume9.jpg

Classic Electro

ElectroASMAnn1.gif

Ultimate Electro

Ultimate_Spider_Man_Vol_1_159_Maxwell_Dillon_(Earth-1610).jpg

Ultimate Rhino

1124479-rhino__28ultimate_29_001.jpg

Outside of villain concepts, what other similarities are there?