• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Saga of my ASM 50

83 posts in this topic

Haha I put the apology to SS haters in specifically for you Frank. Come over one day and beat some sense into me :foryou:

lol. I am not beating anyone. I could get fired. :eek: You have any beer? Almost done with my Amstel lights. lol Beer and looking at comics? Tell me when. lol

I'm thinking that excess shipping of CGC slabs can be pretty risky. The covers stick to the inner well, and when they get shaken hard, things happen. I just saw a 9.4 slab this evening where the comic is now about a 9.0 due to a corner dun and an inner well strike dun.

Your mileage may vary.

Very sorry to hear that makes me feel sick so I know you must feel far worse. It would be a killer for me as I hate spine splits and staple damage.

The funny thing to me is how did it only drop from a 6.5 to a 5.5 with all the extra damage?

Haha I put the apology to SS haters in specifically for you Frank. Come over one day and beat some sense into me :foryou:

lol. I am not beating anyone. I could get fired. :eek: You have any beer? Almost done with my Amstel lights. lol Beer and looking at comics? Tell me when. lol

Not to derail, but do you have a link to your opinion on SS books? Really curious why you don't like them.

I like knowing that the artist/writer saw there completed work and know that it is appreciated by someone. Plus, if you get it signed in person it gives the book mire personality, IMHO.

If this were my book, I would probably want to sell it after everything that's happened. I would always associate the negative events with it whenever I looked at it. It's be the first thing that would pop into my head. That might not be how you operate Jay, but that's how I would deal.

Wow, CGC seems to have one PR nightmare after another...

I don't think this is CGC's nightmare. It's DWC, I believe.

This.

This.

Bingo.

I'm curious to know what their response is if you hear from them. Something must have happened during the handling. I just don't see that much damage occurring while it's still in the slab, but I could be wrong.

I love SS myself and have a nice little SS Stan Lee collection. That said after my last convention I will really be rethinking doing it again. I was talking to some SS retailers (I had dropped my books off to them a few conventions ago) and one of their workers suddenly had a look of horror on their face. They picked a major silver age key up out of their box to be signed and it looked like a golf club. Apparently it had been leaning and a bunch of books had been placed on it. It was now a golf club.

I love SS myself and have a nice little SS Stan Lee collection. That said after my last convention I will really be rethinking doing it again. I was talking to some SS retailers (I had dropped my books off to them a few conventions ago) and one of their workers suddenly had a look of horror on their face. They picked a major silver age key up out of their box to be signed and it looked like a golf club. Apparently it had been leaning and a bunch of books had been placed on it. It was now a golf club.

This is a good point-the more things you have done to your book the more chances for damage.

Sorry to hear this happen to you. That's why I never trust my books to a retail ss booth. A few years back at amazing arizona comic con. I literally saw a ss retailer grab a bunch of books one handed maybe 20 books or so. Without a care in the world right on the spine of the comics. I felt sick to see this. I also felt sorry for the people that paid money to use this persons service. I have used a few guys services on here with Great results rich, dscott, beer thirty. I hope you get this sorted out and wish you the best of luck.

Maybe it's because I just woke up and/or because I don't golf, but I don't understand the comparison. "It looked like a golf club"? I don't get it.

Please draw me a picture. ;)

This.

Bingo.

Never. Ever. Give a book to ham-handed Desert Winds. They no longer have a lock on Stan Lee. Use dscott or GACollectibles.

This.

Bingo.

+1

After comparing the Grader's Notes, this book probably went through hell before it arrived at CGC.