• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day 2014

94 posts in this topic

I took my son last year but this year he had to work so this year my daughter went and we made it a father/daughter day. My LCS had a limit of six she was in line in front of me so I let her pick what she wanted and then I picked six different ones, then we shopped around the long boxes and around 11:30 I took her to the first showing of SpiderMan 2 then for a bite to eat. Very nice day all around.

I showed up to my shop and it was sold out of all the free books but Archie :( but I did catch up on New Avengers #14-17 and The New Rai #1 for 50% percent off so I say it was still a good turnout (thumbs u

My LCS took the opportunity to get out there Silver age back issues they normally don't carry in store.

I came home with this -

E76D0B08-7174-49AA-B4D8-2D38030A84D2_zpslerjzwp4.jpg

Now THIS would have gotten me to come out for FCBD. I have two of those books and wouldn't mind owning the rest or getting extras. Very nice keys.

There are way too many stores that don't utilize the event the way it should be. They seem to lose sight of the fact that the whole point of it is to get the books into the hands of people that don't normally read comic books. It's not intended for the books to go to people that already collect comics or for them to be flipped on eBay. 2c

+1

I don't go to FCBD for a couple of reasons, this being number one. I'll only pick up a couple if they're still around later in the month just so I can read something I didn't want to pay for. I view them as a "hey check this book out for free - no skin off your nose if you don't like it, it's not like you paid for it." All in all, I'd rather let new readers come into our beloved hobby than to try to make a quick buck. For every flipper out there, we lose at least one potential new collector.

In fact I was thinking that if I can get multiple copies later this month, I'm going to go around medical clinics and drop a few books off in the waiting rooms so kids can read them. Maybe get a nice stash going so I can restock waiting rooms every few months, just to encourage comic book reading among the younguns. I remember as a kid, being sick in bed sucked unless I had comic books to at least take away some of my misery.

That said, I would've liked one of the Mouse Guards, but it's ok - I buy the regular series as they come out anyway.

This year, I went to the usual two LCSs on Friday (All About Books and Comics and Samurai Comics) to pick up my supplies (500 bags, 500 boards, 5 boxes) and did a quick whirl around both stores to see if there were any Marvel Star Wars back issues. (I came up empty handed, as usual.)

I loved All About Books and Comics. Spent a long afternoon there once, came away with a NM Star Wars #107, Iron Man #282 and a couple of really nice Batman Adventures #12s in particular. I imagine they've been picked clean of such treasures by now due to Atomic Comics being liquidated. I wonder what Mike Malve is doing these days.

I just ordered a ton more rocket raccoon and gotg and futures end. Diamond has tons in stock still, so no excuse if your local store didnt offer

We at Bedrock City Comics have a blast doing Free Comic Book Day every year but more so this time since it would be our 1st FCBD in the new bigger location

We ordered every book that was offered for FCBD and made sure to order enough so that everyone had a chance to get a copy ( for the most part ) we allowed everyone 5 books and every kid up to 7 plus this year we try to make this day as big of an event as we could so we made sure to have fresh donuts laid out inside and hand some out to everyone who was waiting in line out side, had an artist,video game truck,cos-players,and body/face painting ! we had a great turn out and its pretty safe to say we had about 2800-3000 visit the store that day :acclaim:

we also were lucky to host a signing with Ben Hatke who is the artist for Zita the Space Girl ( a big seller for our younger readers )

10168126_10152156562998992_5696704067922118538_n.jpg

also we had a Great Company Called Gamerzlounge come set up a gaming truck outside of the shop which people flocked too and had fun with,,

10247342_10152156686818992_3648191352104503850_n.jpg

we also sponsor a local comic/geek culture show called Generation Nerd which broadcasted during the day! They hosted a trivia contest with the winner getting a 5 time signed Captain America 2 movie poster here the winner with the prize and shows hosts

10171855_10152156921123992_1827484725759301367_n.jpg

So all in all we had a blasted and hope everyone else did too!

I loved All About Books and Comics. Spent a long afternoon there once, came away with a NM Star Wars #107, Iron Man #282 and a couple of really nice Batman Adventures #12s in particular. I imagine they've been picked clean of such treasures by now due to Atomic Comics being liquidated. I wonder what Mike Malve is doing these days.

All About Books and Comics is the best comic shop I've ever been in, and I've been to many over the years. The selection is deep in Gold, Silver, and Bronze age comics. But, the bulk of the older stock is not high grade, but mid-grade. I never asked about the comics behind the counter though, maybe that is where all the true NM condition comics are kept. I like to stop by every few months to see if they changed out the $0.99 book displays. They usually do themes, currently they have Archie and Image books. My favorite pickups were when they had the Star Trek, New Teen Titans, and Justice League books. I also remember picking up many, many Superman comics when they had discount books parked at the back door. I'm guessing they probably had the DC reprints that everyone is going gagga over on the Copper forums since we are talking 100s of the same issues from that era. I picked up multiples of the John Byrne issues, Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen, Return of Superman, etc.

As for Atomic Comics, I don't miss the store. I miss the closeness of the store though. :grin: As I've mentioned before, I hated the way that store marked up new comics within hours of the comics being put on sale. I stopped using them for new comic purchases the day I walked into their shop on new comic day and they had the Captain America 25 (death of Cap issue) marked up to $7.50. :mad: And they had tons of the issue. I figured their closing was karma.

Since I am a weekly customer at my LCS, several days prior, the owner sent an e-mail asking what I wanted. In fact, he already had the free comics laid out on Wednesday. He asked me if I wanted one of everything. I told him that I am not that greedy and the free comics should be for new customers and kids. I just got the two variants of Uncle Scrooge books for a boardie.

I went by on Saturday and enjoyed the festive atmosphere. Sketches and superheroes cookies and cupcakes were available.

The store I went to is like a huge warehouse that carries comics, toys, and all kinds of gaming. It is 7,000 sq ft. They only gave out 3 free comics each, but I go there for the sales. The owner clearances out so much stuff that I go there for the buying. Last year I got around 10 boxes of stuff for around $100. This year I got a lot of games and RPG gaming books for $1 - $2 each. My son's birthday is this month and I got him a lot of Halo figures for 75% off and he found a 12" Assassin's Creed for $1.00 that sells for $200 on eBay. Only had an opened crinkled flap.

It was a great day and my kids had fun.

Sounds like limiting the books is the only sane way to keep things running smoothly.

To the people who have hundreds of customers coming through the store, do you advertise? How does the everyday Joe hear about this?

All About Books and Comics is the best comic shop I've ever been in, and I've been to many over the years. The selection is deep in Gold, Silver, and Bronze age comics. But, the bulk of the older stock is not high grade, but mid-grade. I never asked about the comics behind the counter though, maybe that is where all the true NM condition comics are kept.

*shakes head*

We advertised via social media, a newspaper story and word of mouth. That's it

what no telepathy Rick (shrug) come on man step up your game :grin:

From the pics looks like you guys were Rockin' down there!!

i just called my LCS last wednesday and said I wouldn't be able to make FCBD this year (had a wedding to go to), they said they would put aside every book for me. I went to get them today, 70ish books, including that hardcover mouse one. time to start reading :)

I hit 6 LCBS in San Diego. Limit was 1 person, one had 3 per person but was cleaned out. Didn't get the ones I wanted. All good. Wife and daughter went so we did get a lot of books, just not the ones I was looking for.

I hit 6 LCBS in San Diego. Limit was 1 person, one had 3 per person but was cleaned out. Didn't get the ones I wanted. All good. Wife and daughter went so we did get a lot of books, just not the ones I was looking for.

Only 6? You're slacking.