• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has MP 15 "REALLY" hit all time highs?

531 posts in this topic

I wish I understood what was happening here any way someone could break it down for noobs?
Suspicion of somebody trying to manipulate the perceived market value of MP 15.

So they can sell their other copies for more? If so seems a short term gain for a long term hit to their reputation.

So this is all just an amazing coincidence? meh

Looking at all of chapao12's feedback as a seller...we find he's sold items with the following values in the past.

$3.58

$16.05

$22.50

$7.05

$2.47

That is...until his recent sale of a Marvel Premiere #15 CGC 9.8 for $3.750.00

Right before your recent sale of a Marvel Premiere #15 CGC 9.8 for $3.995.00 a week later.

A tad too coinky dinky. meh

So this is all just an amazing coincidence? meh

Looking at all of chapao12's feedback as a seller...we find he's sold items with the following values in the past.

$3.58

$16.05

$22.50

$7.05

$2.47

That is...until his recent sale of a Marvel Premiere #15 CGC 9.8 for $3.750.00

Right before your recent sale of a Marvel Premiere #15 CGC 9.8 for $3.995.00 a week later.

First off, I would like to thank all other board members who are pm'ing me about clarifying me what had happened because I didn't understand the situation fully right away for I was caught off guard with all these.

Due to this I had to do some research for I strongly feel obligated standing up for myself here.

It all started when I was given a chance to look into a private collection of s/a and b/a books. I spent a little too much of my budget and had to sell something to be able to acquire something.

Before I listed I checked GPA. I remember 90 day gpa was $2100 something. I hate listing items on ebay already because of NPBs and other pain in the knoggin members. But I thought this book has been hot as of late thus me thinking it might benefit if I list it on ebay (broader audience/customers)

My usual selling technique is I place the item in a BIN and usually double the value and let "prospective buyers" send me out offers. On Day 1, I listed it and had offers. I countered all my offers $3250 ( mainly due to the ebay fees) which will net me about $2,800-$2,900ish for the book.

The next day I was just waiting who will counter me or accept my offer. That day I received an email that my item already sold. I checked who of the people whom I countered accepted the offer but then I saw somebody hit the BIN for $3,995.

I pm'd the ebay member, sent him an invoice and waited. I pm'd the member everyday saying " once payment is shipped I will ship it out right away" or "I ship protected and fast and will send it out as soon as payment is received etc" (basically me prompting him to pay)

After 4 days, I decided to file a NPB against the buyer. Due to that incident once again, I decided not to list it in ebay anymore and just go directly on the boards since here is where I can sell my items and already have regular customers.

The same technique I used, listing it high, waiting for offers then slowly lowering the selling price thus even I was encouraging lowball offers and at the same time, I needed to liquidate to pay for the books I purchased from the private collection.

Then this thread was brought to my attention and the details provided in this thread lead me to really look into this.

The only listing I made was for frankat18. When the buyer didn't pay I listed the book here on the boards. Those are the only 2 listings I had.

Then Hector( thank you for bringing this up to me) showed me another listing that was being talked upon this thread. I am not associated with that listing at all.

It was also brought into my attention that I left feedback for the said member. I looked into it myself and indeed saw that I left feedback for the said member.

I saw two different transactions. The first one was 16 months ago for (8 items). For that 8 items, I am sure it had to be .99 auctions because I either start at 99 cents or list a BIN/BO. Also, most likely I'm assuming that I combined shipping with that since it shows that I placed in multiple auctions ending that day.

The next and final one was then made 14 months ago for 1 item.

In leaving feedbacks on ebay, if I have multiple listings I tend to just place in a "general message" like 5 star all the way etc but if I have time I try to be creative in leaving feedbacks.

Now, going back to the topic full circle. Hector told me that chapao12 had a MP 15 listing which is weird because he is the one who Hit my BIN for the book I am selling and is a NPB.

I don't know if maybe he is the one setting up price values so that he can go ahead and resell his book if he indeed has a copy himself. (I will be on the lookout on my end for any cgc 9.8 that appears from now on and check if he will relist it once again or something.)

That is all I got when it comes to this thread. I felt obligated in researching what really happened and protect myself.

This is one of the things I love in this boards though that everybody is vigilant and are always there to criticize and verify things.

I already know the culture on these boards and almost on a daily basis, there are bashes and punches being thrown on every single thread thus I will go with the punches but I will stand for myself and say that I am not guilty of whatever is claimed against me in this thread. I respect all opinions that will be made on this thread but I know that my conscience is clear and that I had nothing to do with whatever was accused of me.

I wouldn't admit to the 'outside of ebay' thing someone might point ebay at your words where you make that admission.

Two days ago BBT (bigboytoys) started a thread selling a copy of MP #15, that he had recently bought from a boardie a few weeks ago right before the first record sale. BBT offered that book up citing those record sales, one of which he was the seller on. See here

*** Deleted since jaybuck verified that bigboytoys did not cite the prior eBay sales in his forum sales thread. My apologies to bigboytoys for the error. ***

Two days ago BBT (bigboytoys) started a thread selling a copy of MP #15, that he had recently bought from a boardie a few weeks ago right before the first record sale. BBT offered that book up citing those record sales, one of which he was the seller on. See here

Jaybuck...can you offer some further clarification on your statement that bigboytoys (ebay name: frankat18) offered his copy for sale here on the forum citing the two record sales as justification for his selling price? It seems that his forum sales thread has been edited and I see no references he made to any prior sales.

The reason I ask, is that now bigboytoys has made several posts in this thread claiming that he didn't know about the first eBay sale until...as he said..."Hector showed me another listing that was being talked upon this thread."

bigboytoys is also claiming that his copy did not sell on eBay after all, and that is why he decided to list it here instead of re-listing it on eBay.

If what bigboytoys said is all true...then I'm wondering why he would cite either of these eBay auctions in his forum listing???

The first eBay record sale (by ebayer chapao12) he supposedly wasn't aware of until someone alerted him to this thread. And the second record eBay sale was not actually a sale...since it was his auction and he has now said the buyer didn't pay...which is why he then listed it here on the forum.

Hi Domo,

I never once cited in my thread about the last 2 sales.

If you look at the date of edits the latest edit was May 9 (2 days ago) at about midnight since the book was sold already that time which I wasn't aware of this thread being made yet.(This thread was just made 5.5 hours ago).

The only reason I edited was because the book sold and that the other tabs just showed "the price drops" or the 10% off bumps and the crazy drop towards the end. I do that out of respect of the buyer (which I learned here at the boards that you should remove the price and edit it with "SOLD"

I never claimed that in the listing because the "supposedly" last sale of mine was a NPB.

The only claim i made was that this book is on fire as of late(more like the past 4-6 months.)

Hi BBT,

If that Is the case and Jaybuck corroborates it, then I will be happy to delete my post regarding this. I am simply going by what Jaybuck said in his first post in this thread, and if it's incorrect, then he'll probably want to edit his post to reflect that as well.

Hi BBT,

If that Is the case and Jaybuck corroborates it, then I will be happy to delete my post regarding this. I am simply going by what Jaybuck said in his first post in this thread, and if it's incorrect, then he'll probably want to edit his post to reflect that as well.

Hi Jaybucks...

No biggie man. Like I said this is what I love with these boards being vigilant and all but in this case I just opened up because I know I am not guilty of anything and that my conscience is clear.

Like I said this thread has just been made 6 hours ago. My last edit on that sale thread was 2 days ago and you will see that all the edits have very close time changes because I edited all of it right away due to the fact that it sold. You can check each timestamp for edit as well. I learned from board vets that when you make a sale make an effort to remove the prices etc with respect to the buyer.

My usual selling technique is I place the item in a BIN and usually double the value and let "prospective buyers" send me out offers. On Day 1, I listed it and had offers. I countered all my offers $3250 ( mainly due to the ebay fees) which will net me about $2,800-$2,900ish for the book.

The same technique I used, listing it high, waiting for offers then slowly lowering the selling price thus even I was encouraging lowball offers and at the same time, I needed to liquidate to pay for the books I purchased from the private collection.

I guess I am not your usual seller.

Anyway, I don't believe you can reconcile your "usual selling technique" with the need to liquidate ...

I guess I am not your usual seller.

Anyway, I don't believe you can reconcile your "usual selling technique" with the need to liquidate ...

It is one of my techniques and I believe we all have our own styles of selling... :)

This is one of the reasons why I no longer trust eBay as a price reference. If you collect in more than one area, you notice this kind of price manipulation happens a lot, especially on anything riding even a mild amount of interest/demand. The runaway examples I've been seeing are in the Star Wars toys. And to be clear, what I mean by "this" is the coincidence of record sales not actually selling, but eBay's site saying a sale occurred. Which based on eBay's mile-long laundry list of things that suck about it, don't make it too surprising that they'd get off their keister and actually updated listings when a final value fee credit is filed, or both parties (the seller and their shill) agree to cancel the transaction. Too much effort for eBay and no foreseeable pay-off to bother doing this I guess, especially when their reputation already is a joke, and all they'd be doing is giving third-parties using their data a little more context/depth/evidence to show the amount of holes in their auction format.

I've said this before, and while GPA is a useful service, there is a major disjoint on tracking sales that are actually completed. As a real world example (which I've shared before) this exact same thing happened on the 21 Back Fett's, which had a record sale in February (which I believe never completed) and as such, everyone and their mother have been pricing them according to that sale. It's meant almost a tripling in value, as AFA 85's which used to sell in the $3-4K range are now selling in the $7-10K range.

I say this not to join the pile on, but to explain why I'm a harsh critic toward anyone who who sole sources eBay past sales. 2c

I pm'd the ebay member, sent him an invoice and waited. I pm'd the member everyday saying " once payment is shipped I will ship it out right away" or "I ship protected and fast and will send it out as soon as payment is received etc" (basically me prompting him to pay)

Screen caps of the eBay messages? (shrug)

Now, going back to the topic full circle. Hector told me that chapao12 had a MP 15 listing which is weird because he is the one who Hit my BIN for the book I am selling and is a NPB.

I don't know if maybe he is the one setting up price values so that he can go ahead and resell his book if he indeed has a copy himself. (I will be on the lookout on my end for any cgc 9.8 that appears from now on and check if he will relist it once again or something.)

How did chapao12 get images of your book to use in his listing over a week BEFORE your listing if your listing was only a 3 day listing? hm

*sniff*

Domo. BBT is indeed correct. I misspoke by saying cited (apologies, it was late and I was tired) he was stating that the book was heating up, which his post does still say. He never said, "last sale was $3,999" The point I was trying to make was that he was stating the heating up point so that people would go to GPA/ebay records to see and see the massive jump (2K) My apologies for that misstatement. However there are some questions that I would like to understand because things don't make much sense here.

1)BBT claims that before listing he checked GPA and saw 90 day GPA was 2100. This would be impossible. Before the two eBay sales, the last sale was in November for 1,999. All of the 2013 sales took place within 2 months (October 17th, October 20th, November 7th and November 10th) thus the average would have shown to be 1834 and there would be no 90 day average. However if he checked after the first suspicious eBay sale then the 90 day average would have been $3,750 since that was the most recent sale.

2) BBT you state that you listed the book and received several offers and while you were negotiating them, someone(The NPB) just hit the BIN. Any reason then neither of your listings make no mention of offers being received? ( First, Closed auction removed for error) ( Second Auction, BIN winner) By contrast, here is a $4,000 BIN that ended a week or so before your NPB sale, Note how it shows that it received 3 offers. Offered auction

3) Here is your book, being offered for sale on April 15th by another seller (I believe the seller you received the book from) BBT's MP 15 Your NPB sale ended on April 30th. So within 15 days, the book closed, went through a private sale (i'm assuming through the boards but possibly through eBay) for less than $2,000. Then the book shipped from the US to Canada (and thus had to pass through Customs) Then you listed it on eBay for a BIN of more than double what you paid less than 2 weeks earlier. I'm just curious, what major news announcement did I miss that necessitated that kind of jump, especially when you needed liquidation for a purchase? Similarly, why did you need to check eBay or GPA at all? You knew what the market price was, you just paid it.

4)Why no mention of the sale having fallen through? Something like "Hey guys I tried to sell this on eBay but an insufficiently thoughtless person jumped on the BIN and never paid so I figured id try to sell it here where I know the deal will go through"

5) Why did you go to such great pains to obscure the cert number on eBay, making sure the flash perfectly obscured the cert number but everything else remained visible?