• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,600 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

How do you guys feel about a bidder who after he wins the item says he doesn't want it, even though the TITLE of the listing, the item description and photos are EXTREMELY clear? Basically guy bid and won an exclusive Zenescope POST CARD but messages saying he thought it was a comic (contrary to listing TITLE , item description and all pics,etc).  The back scan clearly shows it is a post card with place for stamp.

I cancelled the order for him. Added him to my blocked bidder list but not sure if he qualifies to be cited here...

"I don't know how to read." - yes, he qualifies.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I accepted an offer once and the "buyer" sent me a message saying they didn't realize how Best Offer works and didn't want it.

"I didn't know a best offer could be accepted and compel me to buy!!!"

Does anyone else start to lose general faith in humanity when reading this thread?  People simply cannot be this stupid, can they?  CAN THEY???  Sadly, experience has shown us that the answer is a resounding YES.

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

How do you guys feel about a bidder who after he wins the item says he doesn't want it, even though the TITLE of the listing, the item description and photos are EXTREMELY clear? Basically guy bid and won an exclusive Zenescope POST CARD but messages saying he thought it was a comic (contrary to listing TITLE , item description and all pics,etc).  The back scan clearly shows it is a post card with place for stamp.

I cancelled the order for him. Added him to my blocked bidder list but not sure if he qualifies to be cited here...

I block these users too.  Its irritating they think its okay to just waste a weeks worth of time because they've changed their mind.  

18 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I block these users too.  Its irritating they think its okay to just waste a weeks worth of time because they've changed their mind.  

The best part was after I cancelled the order he asks "will you be listing any other books"?

meh

I did not reply and onto my block list he went.  It was strange as guy has over 500 feedback.  If I made an error like that, I would just "eat" the cost (is $8 worth your rep?) and take it as a lesson learned to actually READ what I am bidding on.

comicsforlife73

The thing that I think some buyers don't recognize is this kind of happens a lot and it takes work and time to relist books and/or if you refuse to cancel, then you, as a seller, leave yourself open to negative feedback games.  Just not worth it. You bid, you win, you pay. Should be simple.

ebay user ID: spideyvenom1981_8

Received this message 12/2

"Hey Greg

If this comic hasnt been mailed out yet can you please cancel it for me. I will reimburse you for the handling of the comic shipping supplies. Like $10 sound okay?

Sorry about this...
Ken"

We complied with his request and did not charge him anything for the hassle.

Received this message 12/10

"Hey again...looks like i purchased this again but i actually did not this time at full price? Ill have to see with ebay what is going on here? If you could cancel the order again that would be great. Ill keep future items out of my save list to further avoid bothering you. New to this!

Take care
Ken" 

It was for the exact same book. This time we already had it packed. Had to retrieve it, unpack, credit him and relist on multiple platforms. This is a $30 book.                                                 

Edited by gregreece

9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

"I don't know how to read." - yes, he qualifies.

"I didn't know a best offer could be accepted and compel me to buy!!!"

Does anyone else start to lose general faith in humanity when reading this thread?  People simply cannot be this stupid, can they?  CAN THEY???  Sadly, experience has shown us that the answer is a resounding YES.

While I agree there are some real strange people on ebay-- let's remember that this thread is about those who are ridiculous or a general pain in the backside.

I would guess that MOST of the people buying on ebay are not stupid or hard to deal with.

It is the old "squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation where you will only hear the bad experiences here, very seldom does anyone write to express a great interaction. The same situation occurs when people complain about the post office-- you only hear the bad stuff while 99.9% of the time they do a great job.

I think I may have a situation with a possible non-paying bidder. Sigh. 

Last week, I listed a raw, low-grade copy of "Tales of Suspense" #39 on eBay as an auction. It went for a respectable amount. This one bidder swooped in at the last minute and sniped the high bidder, and won the auction. Now, I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but when someone is obviously there at the final seconds of a bid and doesn't immediately pay for the item, it makes me nervous. I only accept Paypal payments through eBay (not sure if they allow other forms of payment, but that is the only way I accept them). That being the case, ideally a bidder should have the money in Paypal (or on a credit/debit card to pay through PP) at the time they place their bid, I believe. Anyway... I realize that for whatever reason, that doesn't always happen, even when the buyer does eventually come through.

So, after some time it became clear that the bidder wasn't going to pay me the same night that the auction closed. Fine, I figured that my auction ended Friday night, so maybe the guy would have to go to the bank Monday and transfer funds, whatever. Still, over the weekend, I perused his feedback, both what he had given to sellers and what he had received as a buyer. The worst feedback he has given to anyone to this date is "OK" as a positive. His standard response is "great!" He has never given anyone a negative, though, at this point. And furthermore, he has given more feedback than he has received, making me think that he is great about remembering to leave feedback (always a plus).

This made me feel a bit better, as it seemed to me that he was not the picky type, or somebody quick to give negatives to sellers for whatever reasons. I admit that I am concerned with buyers giving negatives to sellers who open non-paying bidder cases out of retaliation. Since the bidder seemed pretty cool in how he left feedback, I began to think a bit more positive about the deal being completed satisfactorily.

Then I actually read through some of the "positive" feedback he has received. Ugh...

" ...item paid for thru paypal within the week..."

Okay, not horrible, but it still told me this bidder might drag things out.

"... Negative , small time ,should be banned from eBay going to block this buyer ..."

Oh no. Now, I was a bit more concerned.

Let me state at this point: As all regular sellers on eBay know, sellers cannot leave proper negative feedback. Since this is the case, you will hardly find any evidence in the bidder's feedback to indicate that the bidder is a bad bidder. Some sellers will leave a positive feedback with a negative message as the one I quote above.

I am mixed on the practice. In the case above, as with the other comments I am posting below, sellers that do this do give me some information on that bidder. The problem is that giving a positive to a bad bidder is still, you know, giving a POSITIVE to a BAD bidder. Sure, I am checking this guy's feedback after the auction ended, frankly for some piece of mind that maybe he will follow through on his commitment, however most sellers don't get a chance to read through all the feedback  before an auction ends in time to block a possibly deadbeat or troublesome bidder.

So, even though regarding the matter at hand I am glad that there is something I can reference to determine how to handle the likelihood of opening a non-paying bidder case, I would still advise my fellow sellers to NOT leave these negative-as-positive feedback ratings. The message gets buried and all anyone else will see is a positive score, which ultimately helps the bad bidder.

That noted, back to the feedback:

"... Won auction, never pd, no communication, had to relist item. "

"... NEVER MADE PAYMENT, NO RESPONSE TO MULITIPLE CONTACTS, AVOID!!..."

and

"... All sellers beware he does not pay for the items he bids on stay away from him..."

These comments made me realize I was in for a mess with the bidder. Then, this morning I noticed the bidder received a more recent negative "positive":

" Won an auction. Went days w/o paying for it. Didn't answer numerous messages. "

Does eBay even act on non-paying bidder strikes? Sigh. I mean, in all likelihood, in the roughly year-and-a-half this account has existed, this bidder has had at least five non-paying situations, and presumably more as not every seller would have left feedback since they couldn't leave a proper negative one.

While going through the bidder's feedback, I did notice that he spent a good number of times using the comments he left for sellers to promote a Facebook page supposedly for his own music. At least, the comments were written as if it was his own music. I am guessing eBay caught wind of this practice and had him stop, as after a good run of them he finally stopped the promotion.

I wanted to check out who I was dealing with so I followed the FB link he left in the comment. The page was for a musician with the same last name, but his first name does not match the one on the eBay account. I was able to determine that the musician is likely the brother of the eBay bidder, despite how the bidder wrote his comments. The musician writes music about comic book characters, coincidentally.

Anyway, I sent a payment reminder and was going to give the guy a couple more days to pay, despite that I was eligible to open a non-paying bidder case yesterday. However, tonight I saw that he gave feedback for a couple of other sellers, and still hadn't paid me, so he is seemingly ignoring my reminder. I went ahead and opened a non-paying bidder case, as I want to get the book sold to someone serious about buying it as soon as possible.

The bidder still has until Friday (as of the writing of this post) to come through on the payment. I don't see it happening, though. Even if he does come through, I intend to block him from further transactions with me, and I feel it's worth warning everyone here about him.

Here is his username:

sk8inkid863

I hope the second-highest bidder will still be interested in buying the comic. If not, I think I will skip relisting it as an auction and make it a "Buy It Now" for about the price it reached in the bidding. I have also had some people I know in my area who expressed interest in it once they saw my copy on eBay, so maybe I will see if they will want to buy it direct from me, if this deal falls through.

Ugh. I hate this kind of . I REALLY wish there was another viable alternative to eBay, but it is still the "name brand" everyone checks out and recognizes.

Edited by MattHawes
grammar, typo's

18 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

... you will only hear the bad experiences here, very seldom does anyone write to express a great interaction...

Well, it is a thread dedicated to blocking bad eBayers. :whistle:

Edited by MattHawes
Clarification.

2 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

I feel for you as I am enjoying my 2nd deadbeat this week.  I would drop your case, cancel the transaction and just relist it.  If he leaves you bad feedback, eBay will remove it.  While you have it up as a BIN, drop a few messages to those interested parties....maybe you can sell it quick for a decent price.  Don't spend any more time than you have to with these turds....they're not worth it at all....

10 minutes ago, MattHawes said:
28 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

... you will only hear the bad experiences here, very seldom does anyone write to express a great interaction...

which is exactly what I said in the very first sentence which you conveniently cropped.

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I feel for you as I am enjoying my 2nd deadbeat this week.  I would drop your case, cancel the transaction and just relist it.  If he leaves you bad feedback, eBay will remove it.  While you have it up as a BIN, drop a few messages to those interested parties....maybe you can sell it quick for a decent price.  Don't spend any more time than you have to with these turds....they're not worth it at all....

That hinges on the bidder agreeing to cancel the transaction, though. What if he doesn't agree, or fails to respond to the request? Also, while I respect it would save me some time if he did agree to cancel the bid, this guy would also not suffer any repercussion for his actions (if eBay actually does strike bad bidder accounts, that is), and he can go on playing this game with other sellers.

It doesn't hinge on the buyer at all.  If you have sent messages and they don't reply and you cancel the transaction....and they still don't do anything, eBay will cancel it so you can relist it.  I understand what you are saying with repercussions and all, but do you really want it to cost you your book + negative feedback?  Even if this insufficiently_thoughtful_person gets a strike on his account, it's only temporary with no lasting repercussions.  

My basic message to you is to not cut your nose off to spite your face.

1 minute ago, Mapleleafvann said:

It doesn't hinge on the buyer at all.  If you have sent messages and they don't reply and you cancel the transaction....and they still don't do anything, eBay will cancel it so you can relist it.  I understand what you are saying with repercussions and all, but do you really want it to cost you your book + negative feedback?  Even if this insufficiently_thoughtful_person gets a strike on his account, it's only temporary with no lasting repercussions.  

My basic message to you is to not cut your nose off to spite your face.

I thought the cancellation of a transaction had to be a mutual decision between the seller and bidder? I must admit, I haven't had to cancel many transactions in the past. I do appreciate your advice. Thanks!

If they fail to do anything when you click on cancel-- the transaction will be cancelled by ebay eventually. It takes longer than someone just agreeing to the cancellation but it will end at some point. Thanks for pointing out this buyer-- they are definitely worth blocking.

Do you have the option selected to automatically block any bidder with X number of strikes? It is in the seller setup. That should have stopped this person if they are doing this repeatedly.

Just now, Poka said:

@MattHawes- you may wish to do yourself a favour and update your eBay setting to block any bidders who have 2 non-payment on record for past 12 months - then you probably would have avoided this situation.

I thought it was set up like that! I will have to check it again.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

If they fail to do anything when you click on cancel-- the transaction will be cancelled by ebay eventually. It takes longer than someone just agreeing to the cancellation but it will end at some point. Thanks for pointing out this buyer-- they are definitely worth blocking.

Do you have the option selected to automatically block any bidder with X number of strikes? It is in the seller setup. That should have stopped this person if they are doing this repeatedly.

I thought I did. It's something I will be checking again now. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, MattHawes said:

I thought the cancellation of a transaction had to be a mutual decision between the seller and bidder? I must admit, I haven't had to cancel many transactions in the past. I do appreciate your advice. Thanks!

You are more than welcome.....and TheDude is correct with regards to cancellations.  

There are a great many classy comic veterans on this site with a lot of knowledge---when in doubt, send up a signal flare and I bet you will receive a helpful response before long....

1 minute ago, MattHawes said:

It's funny, I've been on eBay nearly 20 years, and I have been a dealer for almost 30 years, owning a shop for 18 years, and there are still some things I am not overly familiar with on eBay like the cancellation process.

Well, eBay seems like more of a battleground these days since buyers can do whatever they want with very little consequence.  Lots of people have moved or are moving more of their books onto Facebook and Instagram.  I am really thinking about it myself...