• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Won't Stan Lee Sign?

51 posts in this topic

I'm curious. When Stan stops signing what impact will this have on CGC? I mean the vast majority of Sig Series Marvel's are Stan sigs, how will this affect CGC's bottom line? Price hike for us?

Maybe they can get the regular subs out faster?

-slym

I'm curious. When Stan stops signing what impact will this have on CGC? I mean the vast majority of Sig Series Marvel's are Stan sigs, how will this affect CGC's bottom line? Price hike for us?

The vast majority of Mar el are not Stan. (thumbs u

In regards to people subbing their books for CGC SS, it may take a hit initially. I'm not sure if that part of their business will recover, but it may fuel multi sig books with Stan's sig or hopefully lead to a new cheaper price restructuring to encourage submissions. It is an interesting question, that could benefit from more input on those in the know.

I very much doubt the vast majority of SS marvel books are signed by Stan.

Anyway, whilst he does sign a lot of books, there are plenty of modern creators whose presence already guarantees short-boxes full of SS submissions for CGC - Jim Lee & Robert Kirkman spring to mind - and I'm sure there'll be new names in the future to step into this vacuum.

The people who'll really hurt from this are the facilitators who generate most of their revenue from the Stan Lee signings - when that golden goose is gone, so is a large part of their income.

The vast majority of Mar el are not Stan. (thumbs u

Marvel, maybe not, Sigs submitted I would say are his, no one cranks out as many as he does at a con and he is definitely the king of books submitted with his name on it. He is also drives in a lot of business to cons he attends, a big void will be felt for a while. Hopefully, another name helps bring in younger people.

In regards to people subbing their books for CGC SS, it may take a hit initially. I'm not sure if that part of their business will recover, but it may fuel multi sig books with Stan's sig or hopefully lead to a new cheaper price restructuring to encourage submissions. It is an interesting question, that could benefit from more input on those in the know.

Anyway, whilst he does sign a lot of books, there are plenty of modern creators whose presence already guarantees short-boxes full of SS submissions for CGC - Jim Lee & Robert Kirkman spring to mind - and I'm sure there'll be new names in the future to step into this vacuum.

The people who'll really hurt from this are the facilitators who generate most of their revenue from the Stan Lee signings - when that golden goose is gone, so is a large part of their income.

I would love to see a stat comparing the 3 at the same con and see which person has the most books submitted for CGC SS. I know on eBay, Stan is the king in terms of books with his name on it.

I understand that he gets paid but he is quite literally selling out. This is so unbelievably sad and frustrating to me not as a collector, but rather a fan. He needs an intervention. Honestly don't know if I should be sad because this is what he was become, or angry because of the level or nonsense.

The corporate mascot for Marvel Comics is a sellout? :o

Excelsior!

Many things make him a sellout, being willing to sign whatever a fan wants him to sign is not one of those things. What if he decided the thing you brought to a con, spent $90 for a spot in line, waited for hours, and then handed him wasn't good enough for his signature to grace? Oh, the complaints from that would be neverending. So he's happy to sign whatever a fan puts in front of his face, and pays zero regard to CGC SS census numbers. That's one of the few good things he does.

an affidavit stating Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko had anything to do with creating the Marvel Universe

Wouldn't be a Marvel Universe WITHOUT Stan Lee

Wow, what a comeback.

There wouldnt be a Marvel Universe without Kirby and Ditko either. Yet Stan is the only one that got the glory, or the money.

He has a hard time recollecting how exactly characters were created, but he can tell you in depth stories about everything else. That should tell you something right there.

Im not a Stan Lee basher, he is a comic legend and I think he is trying to protect Marvel to stay on their good side, rather than be completely honest and cost them money, and be disowned by them, * gasp* no more movie cameos!

I would love to see a stat comparing the 3 at the same con and see which person has the most books submitted for CGC SS. I know on eBay, Stan is the king in terms of books with his name on it.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Stan Lee has probably signed the most SS books of any creator - but that doesn't mean the majority of SS books (or Marvel SS books, for that matter) are signed by Stan Lee.

Take the Batman #1 (DC new 52), for instance - there are more than 700 SS copies in the census currently. I think it's safe to say that Lee didn't sign many of those.

People vastly underestimate how many CGC SS books are actually subbed at any of the larger shows - all they see are a boat-load of Lee SS books on eBay which leads to the incorrect assumption that he's somehow responsible for the majority of the CGC SS books in existence. That just isn't the case :thumbsup:

Many things make him a sellout, being willing to sign whatever a fan wants him to sign is not one of those things. What if he decided the thing you brought to a con, spent $90 for a spot in line, waited for hours, and then handed him wasn't good enough for his signature to grace? Oh, the complaints from that would be neverending. So he's happy to sign whatever a fan puts in front of his face, and pays zero regard to CGC SS census numbers. That's one of the few good things he does.

Obviously this signature was not request by a fan, but rather a business. I think it would be slightly insulting to ask Stan sign a DC book other than his what if series.

Plus, if he didnt want to sign books he didnt have anything to do with, it could be announced before he apeared, and it wouldnt be much of a problem as im sure he signs 99% marvel stuff anyways.

And don't forget, as long as the interior of a comic, on the title page, says "Stan Lee presents..." that he is signing something he had a hand in, whether or not it was creatively.

;)

-slym

I considered Crumb a sellout as soon as the first SS slab with his sig existed.

Well, he did state for many years that he wouldn't sign books for fans. That of course has changed in recent years. I guess that does constitute a U turn.