• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

I get the cover parodys of magazines of the era. The #20 was quite clever too but they really lack the great art that was available to them at the time. Covers were designed to stand out and make you want to buy it. In this respect, the cover to a book like Panic #6 was all white. Probably a stark contrast to all the other books on the rack at the time. I'm sure it stood out in that respect but falls real short on it's own. Now once you get past the covers...

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I get the cover parodys of magazines of the era. The #20 was quite clever too but they really lack the great art that was available to them at the time. Covers were designed to stand out and make you want to buy it. In this respect, the cover to a book like Panic #6 was all white. Probably a stark contrast to all the other books on the rack at the time. I'm sure it stood out in that respect but falls real short on it's own. Now once you get past the covers...

One odd thing on that run of Mad covers 11-23:  They probably mostly stood out well with other comics, but because of their camouflage nature they could easily get lost if mixed in with other magazines (or anything else...)

Just a couple minor books today.  MD may rank low in my estimation relative to the other New Direction books, but I still want it, and the art is still amazing.  And I got the ISF 11 reprint because I believe it's the only time "An Eye For an Eye" has ever been published in an actual comic book.  I figure it's worth throwing in the back of the EC box just for that.

I also got in a couple more of the Frontline Combat issues I need, but waiting until the last issue arrives and then I'll post the whole run by way of celebration.

MD_3.jpg

Incredible_SF_11_R.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

This months EC pickups. Some pretty, some not so pretty but all can be temporarily checked off the want list!

69DB9E4B-1AD4-4A4A-8C4D-B3DAAC5A91CB.jpeg

That gives you the run on Frontline Combat, right?  Gratz!
The others are awesome, as well.  That Haunt #13 in particular looks beautiful, with just enough stress near the spine that you can actually read the thing without worry.  (I nearly said "without fear", but realized that would be rather contradictory. (:)

Ooops, not congrats just yet... I just realized I'm missing Frontline #11 as well. So sadly, stiff one away. I'm real close on Haunt of Fear as well. Just lacking #16. I keep plugging away at them buying them when they come my way in no particular fashion. The sci-fi ones seem to be pretty available but haven't gotton a Crypt in a while.

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Ooops, not congrats just yet... I just realized I'm missing Frontline #11 as well. So sadly, stiff one away. I'm real close on Haunt of Fear as well. Just lacking #16. I keep plugging away at them buying them when they come my way in no particular fashion. The sci-fi ones seem to be pretty available but haven't gotton a Crypt in a while.

The later SF ones are definitely not too hard to track down if you're willing to pay; the earlier ones can be tricky.  Horror is definitely the highest demand in general, I think; although specific covers on other books are of course insane.

Good luck on the Frontline #11 turning up soon.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The sci-fi ones seem to be pretty available but haven't gotton a Crypt in a while.

It seems like people who don’t know EC but like PCH really focus on Tales From The Crypt. Even to the exclusion of the other EC horror titles. 

36 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

It seems like people who don’t know EC but like PCH really focus on Tales From The Crypt. Even to the exclusion of the other EC horror titles. 

I can see that.  Tales has the name recognition.  Although I think Haunt has the best EC horror covers overall, personally.

One plus of putting together the Frontline Combat run:  My appreciation for just how good the Kurtzman covers are has grown.  They're deceptively simple and sketchy at first glance, but just get better the more you look at them.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

I can see that.  Tales has the name recognition.  Although I think Haunt has the best EC horror covers overall, personally.

One plus of putting together the Frontline Combat run:  My appreciation for just how good the Kurtzman covers are has grown.  They're deceptively simple and sketchy at first glance, but just get better the more you look at them.

Kurtzman was incredible; he put sooo much into his work. He drew my favorite EC cover (Two Fisted annual 1). 

Oh, yeah; Haunt of Fear is my favorite horror title, too.

Hi guys!!! Im back with 3 books! They are all Mad! my first Mad was 15. I got it about a year ago for $10. I always buy my ECs when the price is right and always thought Mad wouldn't be one that id come across in my price range, because I focus on the horror/scifi (like most of us haha). Then in the last month I came across 2 in eBay auctions for pretty cheap. I also saw @Robot Man and @OtherEric talking about Mad and wanted to post mine. I haven't read them yet but some day I will!

Now I want to find MY holy grail of Mad...#21 first Alfred E. Newman.

So if any of you have one let me know :bigsmile:

Scan 2019-7-1 22.25.16.jpg

Scan 2019-7-1 22.27.08.jpg

Scan 2019-7-1 22.28.59.jpg

Read those MADs Raze! They are a lot of fun and well worth picking up. Prices have come down a lot on them and they are pretty available. You should be able to find a #21 pretty easy.

Here is the earliest depection of Alfred E Neuman I can come up with. It is a paperweight from turn of the century. There is a calendar that I've seen a couple of times with the same image. This is the only paperweight I know of.

alfredeneumanpaperweight1.jpg

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Read those MADs Raze! They are a lot of fun and well worth picking up. Prices have come down a lot on them and they are pretty available. You should be able to find a #21 pretty easy.

Here is the earliest depection of Alfred E Neuman I can come up with. It is a paperweight from turn of the century. There is a calendar that I've seen a couple of times with the same image. This is the only paperweight I know of.

alfredeneumanpaperweight1.jpg

Thats so ugly!lol As to reading the Mads Ill get around to it. Just really behind on my reading.