• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Thanks to a cool boardie, I joined the complete Aces High club yesterday. For the third time. A small victory that isn’t much of a big deal but #4 and #5 popped up for under $20. each so I grabbed them with no competition. I can’t say enough about this great run. WWI aviation stories by Evans, Wood, Davis, Krigstein and others. Such GREAT reads. My favorite New Trend run closely followed by Piracy. Do yourself a favor and pick up a couple cheap readers. You will be glad you did!

034403F0-98E7-4640-BB48-2494391DB13D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks to a cool boardie, I joined the complete Aces High club yesterday. For the third time. A small victory that isn’t much of a big deal but #4 and #5 popped up for under $20. each so I grabbed them with no competition. I can’t say enough about this great run. WWI aviation stories by Evans, Wood, Davis, Krigstein and others. Such GREAT reads. My favorite New Trend run closely followed by Piracy. Do yourself a favor and pick up a couple cheap readers. You will be glad you did!

Welcome back to the club!  It's easy to criticize some of the New Direction titles... M. D., I'm looking at you... but even at their worst they're better than 90% of the comics from the era, and at their best they stand proud with the New Trend books.  I think if I had to pick I would put Piracy over Aces High, but it's a very close call.  Both are first rate titles that are insanely cheap compared to other EC's or other books from the era.

My current problem is I'm running out of New Direction books I need, and when I do, there goes my source for inexpensive EC fixes.  It's going to get trickier fast from here on out.

4 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Welcome back to the club!  It's easy to criticize some of the New Direction titles... M. D., I'm looking at you... but even at their worst they're better than 90% of the comics from the era, and at their best they stand proud with the New Trend books.  I think if I had to pick I would put Piracy over Aces High, but it's a very close call.  Both are first rate titles that are insanely cheap compared to other EC's or other books from the era.

My current problem is I'm running out of New Direction books I need, and when I do, there goes my source for inexpensive EC fixes.  It's going to get trickier fast from here on out.

Yep, but if you lower your sights grade wise, and are patient, they are mostly all pretty available. Was glad to complete Haunt of Fear. A big run out of the way. The horror titles seem to have been trending up in price a bit. Dealers have told me they are good sellers and when I do shows they are the first to go even in pretty bad shape. Crime SS is getting tougher as well. Shock SS, the sci-fi titles and the war ones are pretty much affordable still. I’m not looking forward to the Crime Patrol, War against Crime and Crypt of Terror issues. Harder to find and getting pricey. 

I’m also going for some of the westerns and romance (near impossible). But patience is a virtue as has been said...

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Weird Science Fantasy 29 is all by him. He assists on a couple others.

Great.  I forgot that one.  I also know about the roller coaster one and monster in the portal one, not sure about others...

I know there are not many...

Edited by Karl Liebl

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Great.  I forgot that one.  I also know about the roller coaster one and monster in the portal one, not sure about others...

I know there are not many...

The roller coaster one is Shock Suspense #13. Not a cover but a brilliant interior story and only one he did solo for EC. As said, he assisted on several other covers and interior stories. 

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The roller coaster one is Shock Suspense #13. Not a cover but a brilliant interior story and only one he did solo for EC. As said, he assisted on several other covers and interior stories. 

What about Weird Fantasy 21? Because well, babe on cover...

I need to do more research bleh...

Edited by Karl Liebl

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, but if you lower your sights grade wise, and are patient, they are mostly all pretty available. Was glad to complete Haunt of Fear. A big run out of the way. The horror titles seem to have been trending up in price a bit. Dealers have told me they are good sellers and when I do shows they are the first to go even in pretty bad shape. Crime SS is getting tougher as well. Shock SS, the sci-fi titles and the war ones are pretty much affordable still. I’m not looking forward to the Crime Patrol, War against Crime and Crypt of Terror issues. Harder to find and getting pricey. 

I’m also going for some of the westerns and romance (near impossible). But patience is a virtue as has been said... 

EC's, for the most part, are insanely affordable.  But I've been averaging under $15 a book filling in the New Direction, and the others aren't going to be that cheap.  Luckily, given my personal tastes, the Horror and Crime SS are the titles I don't actually want to collect at this point.  Although I do want to get at least one issue of Haunt and Vault each so I have examples. 

Oh, well, it's a long term project.  I've gotten close to 40 EC's so far this year, so I can't say I'm doing badly at all.  But it is going to slow down now.

17 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I kept examples of horror stuff. I do miss my Vault of Horror 12 and Crime Patrol 15, tho. 

5536AABF-F071-4DD5-9EB1-4249D26FE5A8.thumb.jpeg.ee9b763fd43d8bbca98cc2488553a59f.jpeg

I thought this issue would be the best place holder. I have been searching for more, tho...

I got another VOH #12. But, I really miss my Crime Patrol #15. Should have kept it. It’s gonna be a challenge at this point.

You kept a good HOF. Great cover and origin or 1st appearance of the Old Witch I believe. Recently replaced that one from my buddy “Big Ron” Murray. Gave me a great deal on it. 

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I got another VOH #12. But, I really miss my Crime Patrol #15. Should have kept it. It’s gonna be a challenge at this point.

You kept a good HOF. Great cover and origin or 1st appearance of the Old Witch I believe. Recently replaced that one from my buddy “Big Ron” Murray. Gave me a great deal on it. 

The Old Witch debuted in HoF 16. 17 has a story where all 3 Ghoulunatics force Gaines and Feldstein into printing their stories.