• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

This one I got from a guy who's name I found listed in the EC Fan-Addict Club bulletin #4. I called him in 1974 and he still had some ECs, so I bought a few from him. That bulletin was 20 years old at that time. I told that story in some other thread.

vpb7zq.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

This one I got from a guy who's name I found listed in the EC Fan-Addict Club bulletin #4. I called him in 1974 and he still had some ECs, so I bought a few from him. That bulletin was 20 years old at that time. I told that story in some other thread.

vpb7zq.jpg

Call him again! :baiting:

vpb7zq.jpg

I called him a couple years ago to say hi. I didn't ask to buy any more books because the one's I didn't buy 40 years ago were very beat up. Plus, he said he wanted to give the others to his kids someday. Maybe he did...and anyway, I'm not driving all the way to northern Utah to buy a bunch of really beat up ECs... doh!

Great books, no doubt assembled back when they were very affordable.

Yes, but the word affordable is relative. Cheaper than today, but prices for everything were cheaper in 1973 and 74. I paid $3,995 in 1973 for a new Dodge Challenger. Gas was 30 cents a gallon. Minimum wage was $1.65. A candy bar was 5 or 10 cents. Houses in CA were about $35,000.00 for a new, 2,000 sq. foot home. But, relative to today's economy, comics were cheaper. A lot cheaper.

I haven't bought an EC since 1975, except for a Mad #3 in 1994. I got it from Harley because it was the last issue I needed. (thumbs u

Edited by tricolorbrian

vpb7zq.jpg

I called him a couple years ago to say hi. I didn't ask to buy any more books because the one's I didn't buy 40 years ago were very beat up. Plus, he said he wanted to give the others to his kids someday. Maybe he did...and anyway, I'm not driving all the way to northern Utah to buy a bunch of really beat up ECs... doh!

That's actually nice that you've kept in touch. And I hear you on the relative prices. Using your Mad #5 as an example, in 1066 $10 sounds like an outrageous price to pay!

Well, my grandmother paid for the comic...heh, heh...

:applause:

Here's to grandmothers! I seriously doubt I would love this hobby as much as I do without the encouragement and help from my Nana. During the summer as a little boy I would walk with her to the grocery corner store and she would always buy me a comic or two! :cloud9:

(posted this recent pickup a couple other places, but thought I'd bump this thread with it, as well - I'm pretty fond of it :D )

My first EC Church copy...seems like they don't turn up very often.

An interesting note from the Heritage auction back when this book sold there in 2004:

"This comic is something of a curiosity. It's is known that most of the EC comics from the Mile High collection were bought second-hand, and are not in as nice condition as the comics Edgar Church bought new. However, this particular EC comic looks fantastic - just like the comics he purchased as they reached the newsstands. Was this comic bought new, or was it simply a second hand comic that never accumulated any wear prior to being acquired by Mr. Church?"

css4_f_zps5bb19b81.jpg

Nice book Ed. Only 9.4 on census as well. (thumbs u

Thanks, Don.

Yep, it's the only 9.4 (of course there are higher graded GFCs)...

GPA analysis incorrectly shows the sale of this 9.4 back in '04 as a Gaines File Copy...as we now see, the 9.4 is the Church copy.