• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Good for the seller. But, you know, it wasn't without some appeal. And a cover by a well-known EC artist as well.

I would tend to agree, but the artwork is just not in the same class as that in the original EC Sci Fi books, regardless if it was done by one from their stable. It's not bad, and could pass on other brands, but it's just not up to EC standards, IMHO.

Good for the seller. But, you know, it wasn't without some appeal. And a cover by a well-known EC artist as well.

It's one of the better "Frankencomics" I've seen. I think the seller should have simply disclosed that it was cut-up and reconstructed and sold the comic as-is.

On the reconstructed copy, the rocket blast at the lower left could have been done better...

151554.jpg.f809591152438682f1e563f51c0a0573.jpg

Today I was pretty stoked to review and submit to CGC two Gaines File Copy sets of Crime Patrol/Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt ( two copies each of CP 15 and 16, Crypt of Terror 17-19, and Crypt 20-46.) And also 1 set of Vault of Horror (including the 12, of which there are only 3 GFCs.) For a horror collector, there's nothing like having raw runs of these books in your hands - and even though I've submitted them before, the sensation doesn't abate much. Just stunning to see a run of them. I don't smoke, but I craved a cigarette afterwards. :blush:

Today I was pretty stoked to review and submit to CGC two Gaines File Copy sets of Crime Patrol/Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt ( two copies each of CP 15 and 16, Crypt of Terror 17-19, and Crypt 20-46.) And also 1 set of Vault of Horror (including the 12, of which there are only 3 GFCs.) For a horror collector, there's nothing like having raw runs of these books in your hands - and even though I've submitted them before, the sensation doesn't abate much. Just stunning to see a run of them. I don't smoke, but I craved a cigarette afterwards. :blush:

It's always been my understanding that there was only one VOH 12 GFC. I even remember someone posting a list of the number of GFCs by issue earlier in this thread that "confirmed" that. Are there actually three?

Very cool that you got to review the entire sets! Can you disclose what number they were (assuming they were matching sets)?

Today I was pretty stoked to review and submit to CGC two Gaines File Copy sets of Crime Patrol/Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt ( two copies each of CP 15 and 16, Crypt of Terror 17-19, and Crypt 20-46.) And also 1 set of Vault of Horror (including the 12, of which there are only 3 GFCs.)

It's always been my understanding that there was only one VOH 12 GFC.

According to my copy of the master list of GFC's, and a 1990 narrative by Bob Overstreet, you are correct; one GFC of Vault 12. IDK who ended up with it, but it was not offered for sale when they began offering them to the public.

fifties,

Is that a list that you could share? Proprietary? I'd love to see a copy of that if it's public knowledge, or was it printed in a book somewhere?

The list was posted previously in this thread. Not sure how far back though.

..... my memory is a bit lackluster these days.... but I seem to recall that there were 3 copies of # 12,but only one was actually available and that Gaines had bequeathed 2 copies to family members or something. I also vaguely remember a decent article when the Files were first made available..... in CBM maybe ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's always been my understanding that there was only one VOH 12 GFC. I even remember someone posting a list of the number of GFCs by issue earlier in this thread that "confirmed" that. Are there actually three?

Very cool that you got to review the entire sets! Can you disclose what number they were (assuming they were matching sets)?

Mitch - the Mylars on the GFCs had the original stickers, indicating the 'rating' of the particular copy versus the total number of that issue overall. On the VOH 12, the sticker read 1/3.

Mitch - the Mylars on the GFCs had the original stickers, indicating the 'rating' of the particular copy versus the total number of that issue overall. On the VOH 12, the sticker read 1/3.

Thanks for the clarification - that's huge news for EC collectors!

According to Bob Overstreet's own account, only one copy of VOH 12 was actually found in Gaines' collection. The additional copies are almost certainly those that Bill got from Jerry Weist in the famous trade involving those bottles of rare wine.

hm ...I just searched around on the boards and found this old thread...check this out: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2218530&fpart=1

Some very knowledgeable people are weighing in there - apparently, Heritage at one point claimed there was only 1; ciorac had a "#2" copy at one point, which implies there were at least 2; metropolis says there actually are zero "true" GFC copies of the VoH 12 :o

We need to get to the bottom of this...

hm ...I just searched around on the boards and found this old thread...check this out: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2218530&fpart=1

Some very knowledgeable people are weighing in there - apparently, Heritage at one point claimed there was only 1; ciorac had a "#2" copy at one point, which implies there were at least 2; metropolis says there actually are zero "true" GFC copies of the VoH 12 :o

Very interesting reading. So no one there knows the circumstances under which more than one VOH 12 was designated a GFC, but now we have proof that it happened. Who would have enough knowledge to fill in the blanks?

I wonder if mrmyst has the copy Metro describes in that thread? hm