• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Well, I do have more Gaines file copies than posts! There are particularly a number of latter books (post spring '53) that have some surface flaws and such that bring them technically down as low as 6.5 (could be some lower, that's just the lowest I've seen). But, even at these lower grades, they have the Gaines "qualities" of unread books. They are special indeed.

Thanks Steve! That's insightful too, as to their care and upkeep, when selected and when kept in storage. The earlier issues might've been selected more carefully, vs. the later ones; or, it could be that the later ones, naturally nearer the "top of the pile" vs the early ones socked away, got handled more/pilfered from more.

I know it doesn't explain the one copy of VOH #12, but if a stack of those was put away at one time, perhaps it was left/lost/stolen in the move from EC offices to Gaines' closet, or maybe he never got copies of that issue put aside in the first place. Which would lend credence to the story I heard, that he traded a couple bottles of wine for a highgrade copy of VOH #12 from a dealer, years later. :)

CryptofTerror1798_zpsb5d630e1.jpg

Was Feldstein doing the title logos for the horror books? Or Ben Oda? I never got that clear. The lettering in "Terror" is brilliant.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Feldstein was responsible for all the free-handed lettering of the EC logos. They all utilize that bold, heavy, Feldsteinian style.

Oh, how I looked, and looked, and looked again at this cover in my 1985 Overstreet. One of the best days in my collecting experience, when I finally added one to my PCH stash!

Time to add some class to this thread cause you are all forgetting a certain title...

14997951357_97fa44c130_b.jpgP1030258 by phantalien, on Flickr

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Mad's are great comics!