• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The first comic I paid over cover price for. $3. To Burt Blum at Cherokee Books. Man, my dad was pizzed! 

I don't know what your copy looked like, but one day I bought a Batman that must have been a 1.8 for $2 at a bookstore, and my dad had the same reaction.  Thank god we didn't listen to them...:roflmao:

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I've said it before, but I'm very lucky that my parents supported my collecting habits from a young age; I was around 10 when I got my first back issue comics as a birthday or Christmas gift.  And they made a point of giving me an issue of MAD once they thought I was old enough to appreciate it (around the same time).

You're younger than the robot and I, so by the time you wanted comics it was well-known how much they had increased in value, and the hobby was well-established.  When we were first buying golden age books it was a smaller hobby and my dad thought it was a fad...like the hula hoop.  Well, I never wanted a hula hoop as badly as I wanted back issue comics...lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

6 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

You're younger than the robot and I, so by the time you wanted comics it was well-known how much they had increased in value, and the hobby was well-established.  When we were first buying golden age books it was a smaller hobby and my dad thought it was a fad...like the hula hoop.  Well, I never wanted a hula hoop as badly as I wanted back issue comics...lol

Agreed to a large degree; but it still wasn't nearly as common or generally recognized as it is today, or even was later in the 1980's.

18 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

When I was in high school I dated the daughter of the guy that founded Wammo. She was quite the cutie. He gave me all manner of products including a hula hoop, frisbees and a pile of those huge Wammo giant comic books.