• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Master Race is one of the best comic stories ever, not just EC.  Pity the other 19 stories in Impact put together aren't even half as good as that one is...

You can thank the CCA for churning EC stories into Pablum.  No surprise that their New New Direction books didn't make it past 1955, save for Incredible Science Fiction, a few months longer.

9 minutes ago, fifties said:

You can thank the CCA for churning EC stories into Pablum.  No surprise that their New New Direction books didn't make it past 1955, save for Incredible Science Fiction, a few months longer.

I actually think Aces High and Piracy live up to the EC legacy quite well despite the code.  And I will defend Psychoanalysis as being excellent on its own terms, for that matter... it's just that its own terms were an 80's indy book three decades too early.

With all that said, I think Impact was the New Direct book most obviously damaged by the CCA. Once you know it was supposed to be there, you can't unsee the removed gun on the cover of #2 and it just gets worse from there.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, OtherEric said:

I actually think Aces High and Piracy live up to the EC legacy quite well despite the code.  And I will defend Psychoanalysis as being excellent on its own terms, for that matter... it's just that its own terms were an 80's indy book three decades too early.

With all that said, I think Impact was the New Direct book most obviously damaged by the CCA. Once you know it was supposed to be there, you can't unsee the removed gun on the cover of #2 and it just gets worse from there.

I’m a big fan of Piracy and Aces High. Every bit as good as the stuff that came earlier. I also like Valor a lot. Stories aren’t all that intriguing to me but the art by Wood, Williamson and others is first rate. 

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I’m a big fan of Piracy and Aces High. Every bit as good as the stuff that came earlier. I also like Valor a lot. Stories aren’t all that intriguing to me but the art by Wood, Williamson and others is first rate. 

Agreed on Valor; the stories are somewhat "meh" but it looks amazing.  It's right in the middle of my ranking of the New Direction books.

23 minutes ago, fifties said:

I think ISF 33 was Wally Woods' best, or one of his best covers.

One of the reasons I love it is the sense of "Onward to the unknown!" it has, with the main figure pointing out into space; there's another ship in the image but it doesn't look like it's attacking to me.  The last EC comic having that sense of pointing toward further wonders, even if EC can't be the one showing them to us any more, has a beautifully elegiac feel to it that renders an already stunning cover even more powerful.

It's a desperately underrated cover in my opinion; it's considered a classic but I think its placement among the classic EC covers is low.